Happens Every Time...

Options
Started off really well...weight came off..then stalled...now this morning I got on the scale this morning and I am up 4 lbs!! I get that my metabolism is messed up from 35 yeaqrs of yoyo dieting, but it's very disheartening when I watch my MFP friends melting away and I am working soooo hard!! I am on my way to the treadmill, and I am not going to give up, but it just makes me feel bad!! Only time I have ever been able to lose weight and keep it off for any length of time is when I did low carb, so I am going back to that. Just needed to vent....I can't possibly be the only one this happens to!!

Replies

• misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    It's extremely frustrating I know. I'm watching all these people on my friends list lose a pound every week, and even though that's what my calorie goal is set to, and i'm pretty good at staying in my goal, and I work out 4 times a week, i go up and down the same 2-3 lbs. I get so disheartened and think "what's the point" but then I just keep going anyways in hopes that my hard work will catch up with me at some point.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Make it a chosen life style change. Educate yourself on healthy eating and portion control (food scale helped me). It will happen but only you can make the necessary changes.
  • CuppycakeKaren
    CuppycakeKaren Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure every single thing I put in my mouth!! Sigh...I am not giving up...but it sure can be disheartening!!!
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything too. Food scale and measuring cups by the fridge. Minimum 64oz water a day. Sometimes it just seems to be frustrating for a few weeks then some will fall off.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Started off really well...weight came off..then stalled...now this morning I got on the scale this morning and I am up 4 lbs!! I get that my metabolism is messed up from 35 yeaqrs of yoyo dieting, but it's very disheartening when I watch my MFP friends melting away and I am working soooo hard!! I am on my way to the treadmill, and I am not going to give up, but it just makes me feel bad!! Only time I have ever been able to lose weight and keep it off for any length of time is when I did low carb, so I am going back to that. Just needed to vent....I can't possibly be the only one this happens to!!

I think your net calories are too low and you should be eating more. I know I had much better luck when I upped my calorie limit.
  • JulieMStephens
    Options
    Drink a ton of water and then go and drink another ton of water and I bet it starts to fall off!
  • Suzieqt81
    Suzieqt81 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I weigh and measure every single thing I put in my mouth!! Sigh...I am not giving up...but it sure can be disheartening!!!

I understand...I feel the same way sometimes...as if I cant eat anything...of course I eat but I FEEL like even when its healthy food, I find the fat in it and store it lol....
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Few things:

1) the weight didn't come on to you in a month. You can't leave it in a month.

2) crash dieting where you starve yourself seems mathematically the way to go and never works. Your body is giving you the high middle finger right now and adjusting itself to the pitifully low amount of calories you give it. Then when you inevitably eat higher... it stockpiles it as fat. Self-sabotaging must stop.

3) Look into the mirror. The person staring back is the only person that should matter to you right now as far as weight loss is concerned. Comparing yourself to others is the fast track to fail. There are guys all around me posting pictures of their jersey-shore abs... I would have leapt off of a cliff by now if I compared myself with them.

4) A life style change means that... you can't treat this like a diet. It's not a diet. It's a mindful decision to stop eating bad and start exercising more. That doesn't stop when you reach your goal weight. That carries on until you can no longer carry the banner any longer....

5) There is no silver bullet or magic formula to make it all go away without work. It's hard. Very hard. For some people it's insanely hard. If it were easy, no one would be fat. If it were easy, there would be no sites like this.

I know you feel that everyone else is doing it easily but believe me... they aren't. Losing the weight is an intensely difficult challenge, and in fact was the most challenging thing I've ever done in my life until I set my mind to actually do it and stop making excuses for myself.

Be smart about it. Take it one day at a time. You will get to where you need to go, but the road to your destination is not paved with fluffy cotton and easy times... it's paved with blood, sweat, and tears.

Best of luck to you.
  • gillybumbler
    Options
    Maybe it's the artificial sweetener? Your diary actually looks good.
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/96849.php

There have been many studies to indicate that artificial sweeteners make you gain weight.

I use sweetleaf Stevia which is an herb...it does not affect weight gain and taste great!
  • gillybumbler
    Options
    Maybe it's the artificial sweetener? Your diary actually looks good.
    http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/96849.php

There have been many studies to indicate that artificial sweeteners make you gain weight.

I use sweetleaf Stevia which is an herb...it does not affect weight gain and taste great!

There is tons on google
    http://www.google.com/search?q=artificial+sugar+makes+you+gain+weight&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a
  • kd80538
    kd80538 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    It's totally a mind game...in fact was having this exact same discussion with a friend of mine today, as I'm in a similar boat with my last 5 "vanity pounds" that seem to yo-yo. He was kind enough to remind me that the changes I'm making were to change my lifestyle into a more healthier aspect and that the weight loss was an added benefit to that change. So, I'm continuing to plug away, with a renewed focus on making healthier choices in both food and activity...and not focusing as much on the scale...but more on how I feel and look! Hang in there!
  • Michele7091
    Michele7091 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

I think your net calories are too low and you should be eating more. I know I had much better luck when I upped my calorie limit.

I was going to say the same thing. I didn't really start losing until I upped my calorie intake. Try it for a few weeks...you can always change it back if it doesn't work.

Good luck! :happy:
  • TracyCost1
    Options
    Everyone's bodies are different: Our calorie intake, the amount of exercise needed and how fast we lose weight . Don't get frustrated. Remember to eat your allotted calories, by not doing so, you're only hurting your body. Drink tons of water. And if you're eating canned or frozen meals, the sodium levels are so high that you'll need the water to flush them out; if you are eating frozen meals, I would try to wean away from them. You can have some very healthy meals that are quite simple to prepare.
    I don't know about you, but I don't eat my exercise calories.
    Also, it depends on how much weight you need to lose, those who have more to lose will probably lose higher amounts each day (if they're following the plan correctly). I only have about 10 pounds to lose, it's not going to be an easy task.
    I wish you the best, don't get frustrated, keep doing what you're doing, make a few changes and tweaks if necessary and DON'T get on the scale every day. By not seeing results as you want, you could be sabotaging all of your hard work :)