Where does MFP get daily goals from?

Options
I'm seeing some of these daily goal figures for nutrition including fiber, protein, carbs, sugar, etc etc.. where do these come from? It doesn't seem correct to me and Im not sure if I am supposed to manually adjust the goals or if they are set based on body weight, and how much we anticipate to lose.

Every day I go over protein, fiber and sugar and I'm normally under on potassium and carbs - so I feel like Im doing something wrong or maybe the goals are wrong. If anyone knows please post reply . Thanks!

Replies

• BrandiParsonRNC
    BrandiParsonRNC Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Id like to know that answer! I want 90 grams of protein and it always says I'm over, but I'm not.. I try to ignore it but that Red color just yells at me :)
  • JoyWoodruff
    JoyWoodruff Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yeah, Im totally OCD when it comes to balancing #s so the red is screaming at me too lol. Hopefully someone else can answer that question for us. Thanks for reading this either way..
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Carbs, protein, and fat are determined by a percentage that the system defaults to unless you change it. You can change your ratios by clicking on 'my home' then 'goals,' then click 'change goals' and choose the 'custom' option - from there you can tweak the percentage that goes to carb/fat/protein to fit better with your goals. You can't put in a specific #g that you want to shoot for on those, but you can play with the percentages to get it closer to your lifestyle. IDK where the other nutrient recommendations come from (except things like calcium where the recommendation just shows as '100' for 100% daily value).
  • JoyWoodruff
    Options
    Thanks, I'm more wondering what are the correct#s; how to determine them or just leave default. OR is the goals something a physician should set for you? Im just wondering where they get the #s for default from and if they are correct.
  • PaulS70
    PaulS70 Posts: 70
    Options
    MFP's default goals seem to be based on the USDA's daily guidelines for Americans. The food pyramid and now "My Plate" people. Like others have said. Adjust them to what makes sense for you.
  • JoyWoodruff
    Options
    Sounds fair, thanks. I guess I'll have to figure out what my goals should really be and make adjustments.