Why does it seem like every1 is out to get you.

Options
You know I have come so far in a short time but it is still a long journey for me those of you who know me know that I have had to over come a large amount of weight in 6 months and now with the picnic season here it seems my "supporters" are now tring to shvel the goodies and the grilled fatty meats down my gullet once more.Yestrday I was at a small mid week outing and some one had the nerve to call me a calorie counting natzi,WHAT THE HELL IS THAT ABOUT! So now I care about myself now it seems every1 is out to get me.Sometimes i feel truely alone in this battle for a new healthier me.

142855.png
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Diary

Replies

• coachkathy
    coachkathy Posts: 35
    Options
    Surround yourself with others who are trying to live a healthy lifestyle! It works wonders on keeping you motivated on the right track! :smile:
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Trust me you are not alone in this battle. Try having this happen in your own house. My kids are okay with my losing weight and my healthier eating (my daughter just signed up for a 4 mile walk/run with me) but hubby does everything he possibly can to sabatoge me. Just keep in mind you are doing this for YOU and no one else. Keep to your goals and learn to say "No Thank You" when they try to push crap down your throat. WE WILL PREVAIL!!!!!!!!!!:happy: (calorie counting Natzi is not so bad:bigsmile: )
  • oEmmao
    oEmmao Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    96 pounds is awesome!

i think we all get this *****y, snide comments sometimes, and i really believe that it is jealousy, i think some people do it on purpose, because they know that they cannot achieve their goals the way we have, and others i think dont even realise what they are saying

you stay on track and even though it is very hard, try to ignore these comments

:flowerforyou:
  • missheidi
    missheidi Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    i get called the food nazi a lot, esp by my husband. although he's on here too. he also says that easting with me is no fun anymore bc i count everything. I tell him to deal with it.
  • a_new_mii
    a_new_mii Posts: 53
    Options
    I bet these ppl that called you a calorie counting nazi have a few pounds they could afford to lose themselves. :tongue:
    Don't let it get to you, I'm sure your family and friends don't mean to hurt you. But yes, pushing the sweets on you could very well be an act of enabling. Why the heck do people do that, anyway?? They all want you to get better. They all want you to live. Remind them of that, if you need to.

Hang in there- and if you're going to a bbq, bring a super healthy salad or side and some chicken breasts to through on the grill.

If you eat a burger, skip the bun. There is a lot you can eat and not come off as a Nazi. Just please, hang in there. You really have done well, what an inspiration.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    I believe that's called *jealousy*. You making better choices forces them to realize they COULD be doing the same but aren't and even the kindest, best-intentioned people find passive-aggressive remarks like Calorie-Counting Nazi come flying out of their mouths. Just keep going and let every comment like that remind you of how-well you're doing! Nobody says a word to the fat-guy shovelling burgers fries and ice cream in his mouth all day... they're comfortable with that guy because they feel better than him.

Oh, and I would just totally own it. Be like "You mean THIN Calorie-Counting Nazi!" and when they try to get you to eat food you don't need "Sorry, I'm watching my figure... and I'm watching it get smaller and smaller and smaller. No way I'm going to sabotage that!" and laugh it off.
  • fitnessperfection
    fitnessperfection Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    OMG! Don't let those people get to you...You are doing something good for yourself and sometimes other people can't stand it because they can't do something good for themselves!

On Monday one of my co-workers came into my office and asked me how my training was going. After talking to her about it for a little while she told me I was obsessed with working out and counting calories. OBSESSED! She came to me to talk about it! :noway: Ha! But, I replied "You're darn right I am obsessed." If more people were focused on calorie counting America's obesity problem would be a lot smaller!

Just tell them you are a Calorie Counting Nazi! There are worse things you could be!! Keep pressing and come to MFP for support! You are AWESOME!!
  • naugustyniak
    Options
    OMG! Don't let those people get to you...You are doing something good for yourself and sometimes other people can't stand it because they can't do something good for themselves!

On Monday one of my co-workers came into my office and asked me how my training was going. After talking to her about it for a little while she told me I was obsessed with working out and counting calories. OBSESSED! She came to me to talk about it! :noway: Ha! But, I replied "You're darn right I am obsessed." If more people were focused on calorie counting America's obesity problem would be a lot smaller!

Just tell them you are a Calorie Counting Nazi! There are worse things you could be!! Keep pressing and come to MFP for support! You are AWESOME!!

I wanna be you when I grow up!!!!:laugh: :laugh:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    yes, well, first, know that this is a guilt deflection thing. People feel guilty about not doing for themselves, what you are doing for you. Second, you need to not care. It's going to happen, it happens to me daily, I could care less. There are two people that I care about and listen to with regards to food, myself, and my wife, because we both do the same thing, and eat the same foods. Anyone else can kiss my round, white (and very nice now I might add!:tongue: ) *kitten*. If this isn't how you feel, then you're in for a long, annoying, road.

Seriously though, some people (many people) attack as a defense mechanism. It's the ugly side of human nature, if you recognize that, smile, and look them right in the eye and say "Why yes, with MY food, I AM a calorie counting NAZI, does this bother you?" It pretty much shuts them up and lets them know that you don't really want to joke around about that particular topic.
  • naugustyniak
    Options
    yes, well, first, know that this is a guilt deflection thing. People feel guilty about not doing for themselves, what you are doing for you. Second, you need to not care. It's going to happen, it happens to me daily, I could care less. There are two people that I care about and listen to with regards to food, myself, and my wife, because we both do the same thing, and eat the same foods. Anyone else can kiss my round, white (and very nice now I might add!:tongue: ) *kitten*. If this isn't how you feel, then you're in for a long, annoying, road.

Seriously though, some people (many people) attack as a defense mechanism. It's the ugly side of human nature, if you recognize that, smile, and look them right in the eye and say "Why yes, with MY food, I AM a calorie counting NAZI, does this bother you?" It pretty much shuts them up and lets them know that you don't really want to joke around about that particular topic.

And you to, only the female version!!:laugh:
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options

smiley-signs011.gif

Yeah - what he said :happy: You rock Jeremy - we all here are so proud of you!! And yes, for the most part we have to be calorie counting nazis - and obsessed. You can't lose it without that. You are doing awesome!! Keep it up!
  • onfleur
    onfleur Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I have the same thing happen to me. I think part of it is out of habit but the bigger part being that people are afraid of the positive changes we have made and continue to make. I was 600 pounds and am now at 334. I had friends and family, my biggest supporters, also at times be my greatest adversaries. They were comfortable with who we were, they depended on us always being constant and reliably who we were. I am still who I am....I am just a better me and like you, I still have a long journey. . . Never give up on yourself though It is not worth it and the behavior of 'little devils' will die down. ... I am so proud of you and your accomplishments. I know first hand what it is like. NEVER, NEVER give up.:flowerforyou:
  • aprilann
    aprilann Posts: 238
    Options
    You know I have come so far in a short time but it is still a long journey for me those of you who know me know that I have had to over come a large amount of weight in 6 months and now with the picnic season here it seems my "supporters" are now tring to shvel the goodies and the grilled fatty meats down my gullet once more.Yestrday I was at a small mid week outing and some one had the nerve to call me a calorie counting natzi,WHAT THE HELL IS THAT ABOUT! So now I care about myself now it seems every1 is out to get me.Sometimes i feel truely alone in this battle for a new healthier me.

142855.png
    They're jealous! your a new you and they are still the old them and a lot of people find change intimidating! Not everyone can commit to such a huge thing. Weight lose is a commitment in it's self. people like that have no self worth they would rather take you down with them then join you because it's easier.
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Think we all have this problem, but again who's losing weight? WE ARE!!!:tongue: (That's my take on it!):smile:
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    my mom is all the time asking me do I want food from Jack in the Box, Mcdonalds, Burger King, all the fast food junk food places to eat. I also get called the food nazi b/c I won't go somewhere that won't post their nutritional facts. My mom lost 30 pounds once but she has gained it back so I think she is jealous that I have lost 46 pounds.
  • lawkat
    lawkat Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    People are probably uncomfortable with this whole new you. They want you to fail so that they can say "see, diets don't work" to justify their bad behaviors. Also, you remind them of the fact that they could probably stand to lose a few pounds but they don't have the desire to do anything about it. If they see you succeed at losing weight, it reflects upon them as being a failure at not being able to lose weight.

Don't listen to them. Do what you have to, to be healthy and happy. 96 pounds is a great thing. Keep counting your calories. You could also tell them that you would be happy to give them some tips on how to eat better and lose weight. That will keep them from trying to sabotage you.

Good Luck.
  • Littleminx
    Options
    Dont let them see that their comments get to you - they are only trying to get a reaction or stop you from doing well at all. The person who said that obvioulsy has personal issues so just smile and say "whatever it takes to get this weight off" :smile:
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options

142855.png
    I agree - find a supportive group of friends to hang out with. Maybe they are jealous and know that you are doing a good thing for yourself? Do what's best for YOU! No one else can do it for you:happy:
  • kelligirl
    kelligirl Posts: 210
    Options
    Just keep up the good work, whatever you're doing. I'd say to bring a healthy salad and chicken breast or turkey burgers with whole wheat buns. Sometimes I just keep my mission of calorie-counting to myself.... I don't make a big deal of it - - I just make my healthy choices and feel good about it. My bf isn't always exactly supportive - although I think he thinks he is - so I just do my thing and let him do his in regards to food. He'll get it one of these days - - just like your friends will, hopefully. In the meantime, stand your ground!
  • Kendra7107
    Kendra7107 Posts: 122
    Options
    Hi Jeremy! You are doing awesome! Try to ignore the remarks and like some of the others stated, surround yourself by more positive folks. I think alot of it is jealousy. It's difficult for others to watch you change your life in such a positive way. Even though not everyone needs to lose weight, everyone has something they could be doing for the better. Stop smoking, etc. I think it's hard for others to see you succeed. Let's face it, jealousy is an ugly emotion but even those close to us feel that way at times.

I have had several 'friends' do the same thing to me in the past. They know I'm trying to cut back, yet make remarks like, "one donut won't hurt you", "just take a break for today". They don't understand the momentum it takes and how we have to stay on track. Just brush off the comments and stay true to yourself. :smile: