Options
2»

Replies

• tturley
    tturley Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Try this...

http://www.braydenwm.com/calburn.htm

It factors in your gender, age and weight with your heart rate. It's supposed to be accurate.

Did you have to enter your gender, age and weight in the heart rate monitor? If not, it's only guessing. :)
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I just did a pretty hard cycling session of 45 mins. I do this session once a week.

I log a moderate effort in my MFP ap and it tells me I have burned 707 calories.

I am buying a Polar FT7 on the weekend so my girlfriend lent me her HRM (it's a Pulse Sonic or something) for this session.

My heart rate was between 155 and 180 for the entire 45 mins so it was a tough session. The HRM told me I had only burnt 350 calories, a massive 350 difference from what MFP tells me.

I'm not sure what to believe. Is a cycling session of 45 mins with an average Heart rate of 165 likely to be 350 calories or 707? I am 120kg (264 pounds) and 6 foot 6 (197cm). When my girlfriend and I do the same session and log it on MFP, it tells me I have burnt about 40-50% more than her. She is 132 pounds. Do HRM recognise this weight discrepancy or is it just done purely on your heart rate?

I am confused. Help please.

IMO this is why people get in trouble when "eating back exercise cals..." MFP for a fact overestimates cals burned.... There are so many different factors involved when determining how many cals you burn, even some of the best heart rate monitors with heat sensors etc still have a window of error..

Honestly you may have only burned 350-400 cals over what you would have being sedentary.
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
  • kasicrawford
    Options
    When sharing HRM should you change the max heart rate along with changing age, sex, height and weight. My husband and I are sharing. He just wore it for the first time today, and I changed everything but my max heart rate from when I used it.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    So is there is a difference in calories burnt between a

265 pound man exercising for 45 mins at a heart rate of 165
    125 pound woman exercising for 45 mins at a heart rate of 165
    450 pound man exercising for 45 mins at a heart rate of 165

Have all these people burnt the same calories because they have exercised for the same amount of time with the same heart rate?

It's not just a question of heart rate and time. It's a question of how much energy it takes to move mass. Think of it like this, if the 125lb woman represented a five pound dumbell when you lift it it's not super heavy so it take less energy to move. The 265 pound man represents a 25 pound dumbell it takes more energy/effort to move that and the 450 pound man represents a 50 pound dumbell which is even harder to move. If you do the same number of reps with each you use more energy to move the larger dumbells. I tend to beleive that MFP is on the high side, but not so much that it would derail you using their numbers. Good luck and good job on the workout.
  • mightn
    mightn Posts: 35
    Options

Have all these people burnt the same calories because they have exercised for the same amount of time with the same heart rate?

For determining workout intensity (and, from that, calorie expenditure) heart rate is a relative number, not an absolute number. The actual number itself is irrelevant--what is important is the "percentage of maximum" that heart rate represents. Saying "exercise heart rate is 165" is meaningless; what is meaningful is if that 165 represents 40%, 50%, 60%, 70%, etc, of maximum.

For more detail: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/calories-burned-during-exercise-it-s-the-intensity-not-the-heart-rate-that-counts-26524

Thank you Azdak.

I have just read your excellent blog postings for all the months in your archive and I learnt plenty.

Little bit disappointed that I have bought the Polar FT7 after reading but it will have to do. Really wanted it for calories.

My maximum heart rate when I was playing was 212. That was a fair while ago so in the last few years I have cranked my Heart rate up to 200 when at the end of a really tough session and I want to test myself. When getting to this level I am pretty much spent. Would this be a good level to put my maximum heart rate in my new HRM? Because my maximum using the formula is 185. I reached that during todays workout and definitely had more in me.

Thanks again. Your blog is exceptional
  • mightn
    mightn Posts: 35
    Options
    Thanks everyone for their responses. A massive help.
  • kattygirl0499
    kattygirl0499 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

For determining workout intensity (and, from that, calorie expenditure) heart rate is a relative number, not an absolute number. The actual number itself is irrelevant--what is important is the "percentage of maximum" that heart rate represents. Saying "exercise heart rate is 165" is meaningless; what is meaningful is if that 165 represents 40%, 50%, 60%, 70%, etc, of maximum.

For more detail: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/calories-burned-during-exercise-it-s-the-intensity-not-the-heart-rate-that-counts-26524

OK...so for my question, that makes more sense. Nike+ does not calculate in heart rate at all, so it is just calculating based on distance, time, weight, sex and age. What I found last night was that the workout I had been doing was WAY intense. I spent 25 of 35 minutes outside of my zone....most if it above the ceiling #. That tells me a few things. I need to scale my workouts back and slow down a bit - hard for me because I'm super competitive and slow feels....wrong....somehow - and that I've been underestimating up until now.

In the meantime, I don't want to overestimate caloric burn because I don't want to eat back too many calories. On the flip side, I also don't want to push into starvation mode by underestimating. I'm thinking about averaging the two numbers and using that. Thoughts?

Kathy
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

OK...so for my question, that makes more sense. Nike+ does not calculate in heart rate at all, so it is just calculating based on distance, time, weight, sex and age. What I found last night was that the workout I had been doing was WAY intense. I spent 25 of 35 minutes outside of my zone....most if it above the ceiling #. That tells me a few things. I need to scale my workouts back and slow down a bit - hard for me because I'm super competitive and slow feels....wrong....somehow - and that I've been underestimating up until now.

In the meantime, I don't want to overestimate caloric burn because I don't want to eat back too many calories. On the flip side, I also don't want to push into starvation mode by underestimating. I'm thinking about averaging the two numbers and using that. Thoughts?

Kathy

For an established, simpler activity such as running, speed is all you need to estimate work intensity and speed and weight are all you need to estimate calories. Gender, age, and heart rate are irrelevant--those factors are needed for HRM algorithms because HRMs cannot measure oxygen uptake nor can they measure calories.

Running is a basic aerobic activity that has been well-researched and the equations to estimate oxygen uptake (and thus, calories) are well-established. Research I have seen suggest that these equations will start to overestimate calories as speeds start to go above 6 mph. And, they do not take terrain (hills) and wind into account (not that wind makes a huge difference). So calculations such as Nike+ are probably going to overestimate running calories by about 10%-15%. HRMs are no more accurate and usually a little less accurate (for running).

Again, unless you know your actual maximum heart rate, you cannot say that a workout is "too intense". A balanced cardio program should include endurance workouts, medium tempo workouts, and high-intensity interval workouts. But you need to compare your HR numbers with your breathing. If you can speak in full sentences without a little effort but not a struggle, then you are working at a low to moderate pace, regardless of the heart rate.
  • kattygirl0499
    kattygirl0499 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    The HRM I have does not allow VO2 entry, but I did calculate my max heart rate using a submax fitness test. That rate came out at 185 bpm. My low rate for the workout was 114 bpm, high was 179 bpm and average was 165 bpm, putting me at an average of 89% intensity for the workout. I was doing intervals - so high intensity for a couple minutes and then a "recovery cycle" for 3-4 minutes. During the high intensity phase, I was breathing pretty hard. Could have said a word here and there, but no sentences and no conversation until I was about a minute and a half into the cool down period. I feel like it was pretty intense. Would I have pegged it at nearly 90%? Probably not.

Realistically, the heart rate range recommended for me for weight loss is so low, there is no way I could do that all the time. I, too, believe in variation and without the challenge, I get bored very quickly. However, most of my workouts lately have been similar to what I'm describing above and I think maybe it's helping me realize that slowing down - at least some of the time - might be in my best interest. It does me no good to lose weight and shape up if I kill myself in the process. :)