what's the best exercise at the gym to loss weight? and fast

Options
i joined the gym a week ago........ an i must say i love it. i love how i feel after working out even thought i half kill myself...

i just want to know if there are any tips on what machines or exercises to do to help me lose weight and fast.

thanks..
:)
jo.
x

Replies

• MollyDurham
    MollyDurham Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I started this journey 3 weeks ago with 80 lbs to lose. I joined the gym and in a little less than 3 weeks I have lost 9 lbs and 2 inches in my waist along with 1/2 inch every where else. I do no less than 25 minutes of cardio per day on the treadmill. When I started I could "jog" for about 37 seconds before I thought I was gonna pass out. Today I jogged (5.5mph) for 10 minutes and ran (6.8 mph) for another 8 and only spent 8 minutes walking (3.5 mph). when I finish cardio I alternate the rest of my body weight lifting. Mondays I do things like lunges and squats with the 8 lb weights, and work my abs and lower back. Tuesdays I work on my arms, chest and upperback with machines and free weights. Wednesdays I do lower body. More lunges and squats (without added weight) along with the hip adductor and abductor machined and butt type stuff! Then I rotate through again. I DO NOT skip a day at the gym and rather than shoot for a certain # of reps, miles, minutes I use my Heart rate Monitor and shoot for a certain heart rate and calories burned! The few friends that go with me have laughed at me and called me a beast. They are probably right but I have really found that I LOVE the pain and sweat that happens during my gym hour and I feel soooooooo good when I'm done. When by brain and body are begging me to stop I ignore them and go another 5 minutes! You would be amazed at houw much you can motivate yourself.

PS- don't focus on losing fast, focus on losing permanently! And feel free to friend me if you would like!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Heavy lifting.
  • cacrat
    cacrat Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Its a horribly silly question, that to truely answer how to lose weight with a proper workout would take a detailed analysis of your eating habits, body style, goals, past injuries, and overall health. But to technically answer your question: the treadmill. Burning more calories than you eat will make you lose weight. Running burns more calories than nearly any other exercise in the gym. And you run on the treadmill.
  • Face2012
    Options
    cardio, cardio, cardio..... personally, i love the elliptical machine.. my first20 lbs was lost mainly from doing the elliptical machine at the gym and also my cardio videos at home. .....i also do weight machines a couple times a week. I dont do it every time i go to the gym, but i do get it in 1 out of every 3 workouts i do.... just to build muscle and therfore increase my metobolism.
    Increase your metabolism, increase your energy and the number of calories you burn during workout and after workout is long over.
  • Mia74
    Mia74 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Find a kettlebell instructor and learn how to do swings. Or learn how to properly lift free weights. Lift something heavy.
  • joemma
    joemma Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i understand it different for everybody, but i just wanted to know if there was like a super machine that will help..ha :)

i go on rowing machine for about 15 mins then treadmill for 10 running for 5. i also love boxing, only once i have used weights and then i did squats with these weight on my shoulders..

iv read a lot that weight's will help you lose more weight as the more muscle you work the more fat you burn, but i cant see my self pumping my muscle's in the gym as i am not fit enough yet..!

thanks for the info guys, i just hope i can stick to it and burn these pounds off...
    jo..xx
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    yes there are super machines!!!! theres magic pills too!!! even ones that will turn a guy with a 2incher into a horse sized 13incher!!!

TRUST ME! IT WORKS!

sarcasm aside... think in whole honesty... if there were "super machines" "magic pills" then everyone would be walking around looking like the rock! noone would be over weight or have imperfections... the only real machine that works in the gym is you! and HARD HARD WORK! no pain no gain!!
  • gtwin
    gtwin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    i understand it different for everybody, but i just wanted to know if there was like a super machine that will help..ha :)

i go on rowing machine for about 15 mins then treadmill for 10 running for 5. i also love boxing, only once i have used weights and then i did squats with these weight on my shoulders..

iv read a lot that weight's will help you lose more weight as the more muscle you work the more fat you burn, but i cant see my self pumping my muscle's in the gym as i am not fit enough yet..!

thanks for the info guys, i just hope i can stick to it and burn these pounds off...
    jo..xx

You don't need to be "fit" to weight train. Start off with no weight to get the proper form down, and work your way up to the heaviest weight possible. You gotta start somewhere...we all had to at some point. Combining cardio with lifting will reshape your body, instead of making you "skinny fat."
  • mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    cardio, cardio, cardio..... personally, i love the elliptical machine.

Yes. Cardio. Is the best way to start losing weight. Once you have gotten closer to your goal weight. Tone Tone Tone. The Elliptical is a great way to start or stationary bikes. Then move up to jogging. You don't wanna strain yourself and cause yourself to need a weeks rest.

Good Luck! <3
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    i understand its different for everybody, but i just wanted to know if there was like a super machine that will help..ha :)

Why do SOOO many people think there is always this secret method, machine, food that we are all using to get fit? Is it just a lazy thing?

The major secret that you are looking for is called hard work, a mixture of cardio and strength training, hours of YOUR OWN research, proper eating habits that reflect your goal, and a better goal than just "lose weight fast"
  • joemma
    joemma Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    i do work myself hard.!!.i am eating a healthy diet! and. i am following mfp strictly, so no im not being 'lazy' i was simple asking what is the best machines in the gym to help me lose weight???.........

i will read up more in my own time, and i am going to stick to it, i would just like to see results fast to motivate me that its actually working.

when im in the gym next i will try using the weights bar just so can get used to it, then slowly i will try and add weight's to it.
    thanks for the help guys.!1

im guessing it cardio all the way.. :)
  • Liamsr
    Liamsr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Find a kettlebell instructor and learn how to do swings. Or learn how to properly lift free weights. Lift something heavy.

Yes! I second the kettlebell.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    i do work myself hard.!!.i am eating a healthy diet! and. i am following mfp strictly, so no im not being 'lazy' i was simple asking what is the best machines in the gym to help me lose weight???.........

i will read up more in my own time, and i am going to stick to it, i would just like to see results fast to motivate me that its actually working.

when im in the gym next i will try using the weights bar just so can get used to it, then slowly i will try and add weight's to it.
    thanks for the help guys.!1

im guessing it cardio all the way.. :)

Yea cardio all the way if you want to end up skinny and flabby.

Lift 3X a week(full body), do Cardio 2-3x a week, eat at a calorie deficit and you're set. Look at New Rules of Lifting for Women or bodybuilding.com for ideas on lifting routines.

You didn't put the weight on over night, so you are not going to take off over night.. hate to burst your bubble, but it's the truth.
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    you will get faster and more visibly better results with a combo of cardio AND heavy lifting.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/457293-shape-mags-8-reasons-women-should-lift-weights-heavy

I always lose fat faster doing both, rather then one OR the other only.

And lift heavier weights, as you are able with good form. Start light to learn form. Many gyms provide a free or discount session with a trainer who can show you how to get started, how to use the equipment and so on.

Free weights will give better overall results vs machines, so use them when you can. Even if you start very light - thats okay. Work up at your speed.