Mexican Restaurant Options

Options
So I am going to a new restaurant tomorrow and I am watching my carbs, protein and fat along with calories. Any suggestions of what to eat? I know rice is horrible for carbs along with chips but I want to be able to enjoy something so any suggestions will be appreciated.

Replies

• RunChinni
    RunChinni Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Whenever I end up going to a Mexican restaurant, I get a salad with more beans and less rice. I am fairly liberal with the veggies.

You could also get a chicken salad or a fish salad with more beans and less rice. You can also eliminate rice completely and opt for veggies instead.

I know the chips are hard to resist, but a piece or two wouldn't harm you.

You could also get quesadillas without the rice. What I love about Mexican food is that it's easy to adjust it based on your dietary needs :o)
  • iuangina
    iuangina Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Fajitas without the shell are a good option.
  • elliott82
    elliott82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Mexican food is my weakness. I would say to go with fajitas and ask them not to grill it with butter or anything. Ask for charo beans if you want beans. Eat chips, but in moderation. Just log everything you eat (truthfully!) and do some extra exercising to make up for it. I ate Mexican food for the first time since MFP on Saturday. I indulged and had everything I wanted, but spent the rest of the day shopping and even when I stopped to look at something, I walked in place to keep my pace. (Six hours of that wore me out!) Good luck!
  • Brittypop
    Options
    Chicken, beef or veggie fajitas but skip the tortillas, sour cream and cheese. Why not add a tablespoon or so of guacamole if you're feeling adventurous... and have a few chips. Just don't eat the whole basket. Enjoy!!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Chicken, beef or veggie fajitas but skip the tortillas, sour cream and cheese. Why not add a tablespoon or so of guacamole if you're feeling adventurous... and have a few chips. Just don't eat the whole basket. Enjoy!!

YEP ^^^^^
  • Tenoreo90
    Tenoreo90 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    A lot of my local Mexican resturaunts (in the midwest, so there's a LOT of them) usually have something like a grilled chicken tortilla-it consists of grilled chicken, cabbage, a bit of light sour cream. And most places will give you fruit in place of rice and beans. It's surprisingly filling and yummy!
  • gumigal82
    gumigal82 Posts: 350
    Options
    Lunch portion fajitas, no condiments (except salsa) &no shells....eat beans no rice. Veggies are great! If you want a drink, get a skinny margarita:)
  • Stang71
    Stang71 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I really like this topic. Thanks for posting! Mexican food is my BIG weakness too and I never know what to get that is healthy and won't go over my calories.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    Not sure how well this will work at the restaurant, but if I am really wanting Mexican food but can't deal with the calories of the shells, I will make a Fajita Salad. Take the Meat and Veggies from your fajitas and toss it onto a salad. Mix a bunch of Salsa with a tiny bit of sour cream (really stretches the sour cream this way) and use that as your dressing. Depending on how many calories you have left for your day, you could even add cheese or guacamole (or plain avocado).

I really enjoy this and will make it for a lunch the night after I have the real things here are home! Actually get to have it at the end of the week! Yay!
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Consome de pollo.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I usually get veggie fajitas. You don't have to eat the tortilla.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    Whenever I eat Mexican I get chicken fajitas. I don't eat the tortillas or any rice or beans. Just the meat and veggies with a little sour cream and guacamole.
  • darcy1982
    darcy1982 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I work at a dental office and on mondays..My dentist treats the office to mexican..I logged chicken fajitas with 1 flour tortilla and about 2 tbsp of guac @ like 400 something...I thought that was pretty darn good and it filled me up!
  • Jaffy55806
    Jaffy55806 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Well I survived. A friend I ate with order chips and I only ate 3 of them. I ordered a side of guacamole (which could have been about 4 tbsp) and a chicken salad and you could pick your toppings. I picked everything except for the sour cream since I wasnt sure what kind. Everything was veggies and I opted for black beans which was a good thing for me. Overall I think I ate under 450 calories. Perfect for my lunch and I was comfortably full.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Well I survived. A friend I ate with order chips and I only ate 3 of them. I ordered a side of guacamole (which could have been about 4 tbsp) and a chicken salad and you could pick your toppings. I picked everything except for the sour cream since I wasnt sure what kind. Everything was veggies and I opted for black beans which was a good thing for me. Overall I think I ate under 450 calories. Perfect for my lunch and I was comfortably full.

WAY TO GO GIRL! :smile: