Confused about protien

Options
I'm confused. On one hand, I hear that a serving of protein is 4 oz. On the other hand, if I am trying to reduce my carbs and up my protien intake, I am supposed to get at least 100 grams of protein a day. 4oz of meat has about 25 grams of protein in it according to what I have seen in the database. So if I eat a serving of protein at every meal, including breakfast, that is only 75 grams. So am I supposed to eat a double serving at one meal (not hard, since 4 oz isn't tht big)? Or am I missing something?

Anyone have good ideas for snacks with protein in them?

Replies

• SergeantSunshine_reused
    Options
    Greek yogurt, protein shakes, lentils, even some bagels are high in protein. Meat isnt the only source :]
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    You could try a protein shake, but I prefer Greek yogurt, dry curd cottage cheese, cheese, or tuna/salmon as high protein snacks. I do have to mix them with carbs for better taste though.
  • Gwen7121
    Gwen7121 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Beans, eggs, lots of stuff with protein.
  • Just eat more protien, lol. Its not a big deal, its just what is reccomended by the FDA.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Why are you assuming you can only have "1 serving" of protein 3 times a day?

If you need protein ideas, check my diary.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    cheese and eggs. and you can eat more than 4oz with your meals,
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    Why are you assuming you can only have "1 serving" of protein 3 times a day?

this. i try and get like, 150 grams of protein a day. if i am working out i'll shoot for 200.

protein is needed to build and maintain muscles. even strict cardio freaks should be eating protein to help their cause.
  • EroseT23
    EroseT23 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I eat a bigger serving of protein at dinner if I find that I've been lacking throughout the day. But keep in mind that other things you eat have protein in them besides just the obvious sources. The bread I buy has 4 grams per slice, so if I make a sandwich, that's an extra 8 grams right there. Some veggies have a gram or two, and of course, my beloved dairy. Add a cup of milk with dinner, or what I like to do is steep a cup of strong tea (usually earl grey or chai) in a mug of milk instead of water.

Keep your eyes open for more hidden bits of protein. I've been working on getting mine up to about 100g a day, and I usually hit at least 80. Good luck. :flowerforyou:
  • robtorres
    Options
    You might want to try: peanuts, peanut butter, low fat cottage cheese, deli turkey, egg whites, and of course protein shakes; just be careful with the sugary protein shakes; make sure that there arent too many carbs saturating ur drink.. Good Luck
  • countrygirl_717
    Options
    I try to get around 15-25 grams with each meal, and also 3 snacks each day. Somewhere in the 130-140 grams per day of protein. Protein shakes (Optimum Nutrition 100% Natural Whey is my favorite - no added nasty stuff) Greek yogurt, eggs, peanut butter, almond butter, cottage cheese, tuna, salmon, even oatmeal has some protein in it. If you have 3 meals and 3 snacks per day, even at 20 grams of protein in each, you'd be getting 120 grams in a day. Sample diary day for me:

Breakfast: Banana Walnut Oatmeal (protein = 10 grams)
    AM Snack: Clean Cocoa Smoothie, with protein powder (protein = 35 grams)
    Lunch: Asian Salmon Sandwich on a Whole Wheat Bun (protein = 36 grams)
    PM Snack: 1 apple, 8 almonds & 1 scoop protein powder in 4 oz water (protein = 25)
    Dinner: 3 oz Chicken Breast. 1/2 sweet potato baked into fries with 1 TBSP olive oil (protein = 18)
    Evening Snack: 1 scoop Muscle Milk naturals protein blend powder in 1/2 c. skim milk (protein = 16)
    Total protein for the day = 149 grams
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    IF you are just trying to maintain your current body weight & composition, and get enough protein to maintain your normal bodily functions like muscle repair and building hair & fingernails, you can go by the automatic guidelines in MFP.

IF you are trying to build muscle, which is made of protein, then you should estimate the # of lbs of *lean* body mass you have, and eat that many grams of protein per day. A 150-lb person might eat 120g protein per day.

IF you are trying to lose weight, the chemical reaction that burns fatty acids also requires amino acids (protein). So in order to burn fat efficiently, you need to make sure & eat plenty of protein. So if you're trying to lose weight, you should try to eat your *total* body weight in protein per day. I started out weighing over 300 lb, so I would eat 300g protein per day. It was hard, but it worked!

Things that helped me:
    1. spreading out my calories. Instead of one or two meals a day, I eat six. This makes it easier to get more protein in, if you don't have to eat so much at one sitting.
    2. finding a good low-carb flavored protein powder. I can put a scoop into my drink with each meal, and it greatly increases my protein intake without having to eat massive amounts of food.
    3. keeping good high-protein snacks on hand: hard-boiled eggs, cheese sticks, beef jerky, pork rinds, plain Greek yogurt (you can flavor it with protein powder or with half of a crystal light packet), cottage cheese, grilled chicken strips, hummus...
    4. looking for veggies that are lower in carbs and higher in protein, they give you more "bang for your buck." Mushrooms, spinach, leafy greens, sprouts & cauliflower rather than things like corn, potatoes, peas & carrots.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you!
  • km47
    km47 Posts: 34
    Options
    agreed: also think of nuts. I have a hard time with them (my stomach gets iffy) but if you can take them, they are good, but they do add calories as well. I have added a protein shake a day which gives you about 20GMs depending on the type. Good luck
  • stepoco
    stepoco Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas. Haven't tried protein powder yet (I have a mental block against it - it doesn't seem like "real food" - but that rationalization doesn't stop me from eating processed crap).
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas. Haven't tried protein powder yet (I have a mental block against it - it doesn't seem like "real food" - but that rationalization doesn't stop me from eating processed crap).

Don't be afraid to cook with it, and make it into 'real food'.

Pancakes, cookies, bars, muffins, breads. You name it.

I basically sub it in for flour in nearly every recipe and it always turns out fairly good.