Testing the 42 calorie cake

Options
eileen7316
eileen7316 Posts: 72 Member
Okay, when something sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

I bought an angel food cake mix (1680 calories) and a lemon cake mix (1600 calories). That is a total of 3280 calories just for the mixes. It weighed 899 grams (round to 900 for ease of dividing). 3 tablespoons of the mixes weighed 30 grams. That makes 30 servings of mix. Divide 3280 by 30 and it comes to about 109 calories per serving.

I have to say, it does taste good!

Here is the recipe that was posted:
3, 2, 1 Cake

These individual little cakes are amazing and ready to eat in one minute! They are perfect for whenever you feel like a treat without all the fat and calories that cake can have. Genius idea!

Servings: 1

Ingredients:

1 box Angel Food Cake Mix
1 box Cake Mix - Any Flavor
2 Tbsp Water

Directions:

In a ziploc bag, combine the two cake mixes together and mix well. For each individual cake serving, take out 3 Tablespoons of the cake mix combination and mix it with 2 Tablespoons of water in a small microwave-safe container. Microwave on high for 1 minute, and you have your own instant individual little cake! Keep remaining cake mixture stored in the ziploc bag and use whenever you feel like a treat! You can top each cake with a dollop of fat free whipped topping and/or some fresh fruit.

Helpful Tips:

This recipe is called 3, 2, 1 Cake because all you need to remember is "3 tablespoons mix, 2 tablespoons water, 1 minute in the microwave!" Try various flavors of cake mix like carrot, red velvet, pineapple, lemon, orange, etc. Just remember that one of the mixes has to be the angel food mix; the other is your choice. The flavor possibilities are endless!

Recipe located at: http://cake.betterrecipes.com/3-2-1-cake.html

I just made this and put some cool whip and some mandarin oranges on top and it was the perfect sweet snack!

Replies

• eileen7316
    Options
    bump
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I think it really does come down to the cake mix you use. for the 42 calories I used angel food and a pillsbury white cake mix.
  • Venus2011
    Options
    bump
  • redbird99
    redbird99 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • kittycarson
    Options
    Just mixed mine and ditto slightly over 100 calories... Very dissapointed!!!!! Where does the 42 come in???? Haven't tasted it yet, but I am going to try it (especially since I have already mixed the ingredients together)...just not tonight..
  • traviswertz
    Options
    bump
  • kittycarson
    Options
    Used my girls as guinea pigs..ok..I did take a small taste...They love it...It was pretty good. I put a little fat free chocolate syrup (for chocolate milk) over there's and it was a hit...Just wish it were lower in calories.
  • lu136mickey
    Options
    what does bump mean
  • Sylendis
    Options
    Forgive me if this is way off but aren't you excluding the eggs and oil from the cake mixes? Wouldn't that reduce the calories of each cake mix by about 500 calories?

@lu136mickey, Bumb is used when someone wants to return their post back to the top of the forum list...."bump" it back to the top.
  • reese66
    reese66 Posts: 2,920 Member
    Options
    Forgive me if this is way off but aren't you excluding the eggs and oil from the cake mixes? Wouldn't that reduce the calories of each cake mix by about 500 calories?

@lu136mickey, Bumb is used when someone wants to return their post back to the top of the forum list...."bump" it back to the top.

The box mix has the calories listed just as it is and its completed form.
  • hello77kitty
    hello77kitty Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thanks will try it :)
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Very cool! Thanks for sharing!
  • eileen7316
    Options

The box mix has the calories listed just as it is and its completed form.

Reese66 is right - the calories I figured were for the mix only - they have both listed as part of the nutritional information on the cake mix boxes
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Definitely gonna try it!!
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Screw that. When I want cake, I want CAKE!!! With buttercream icing and lots of it!!!

Sorry, I'm not cake happy today.
  • Venus2011
    Options
    I make the cake and it was good. But I used angle food and devil food cake mix without egg or oil and it was good. Mine came out to 113 calories. No bad if you want some thing sweet every now and then
  • mlbazemore
    mlbazemore Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    You said it! I saw the same post and without buying the ingredients I looked up the nutrion facts (both from actual labels) and I put it in the calculator and I got around the same calorie count...but if it taste good I guest it's a nice "enough" recipe to have on hand...I mean I can get 2 boxes of cake for $2, if that will make me 30 servings then it's a lot cheaper than boxed 100 calorie cakes...and I'm guessing a lot less dry.
  • DorisR184
    DorisR184 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! :smile: