Non "Exercise" Calorie Burning Activities?

Options
Looking for some good suggestions of things I can do alone or with my family that will burn a good amount of calories but doesn't necessarily feel like "exercise". By that I mean I don't want it to feel like I am putting my day on hold I guess...it sounds like kind of a cop out but I'm already jogging 3-4 days per week. But for the days in between I'd like to do things that burn calories but aren't looked at as traditional exercises. So far I've found there are several things I can do with my Wii that help...I've also been shoveling a lot of snow which helps. But what else can I do? Suggestions?

Replies

• 15in8
    15in8 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I just paid $100 for a table tennis table. Great to play on, and you move a lot when playing it! Depending on you kids ages, they will be happy to challenge you I would think :)
  • lukeout007
    lukeout007 Posts: 1,247 Member
    Options
    I just paid $100 for a table tennis table. Great to play on, and you move a lot when playing it! Depending on you kids ages, they will be happy to challenge you I would think :)

That's a fantastic idea...unfortunately no place to put it :(

I'll keep it in mind for the future though. Thanks!
  • Nsdnjbl
    Nsdnjbl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Try geocache (sp)? It's modern day treasure hunting and you walk or hike all over. Best of all, it's free. Google it!
  • lukeout007
    Options
    Try geocache (sp)? It's modern day treasure hunting and you walk or hike all over. Best of all, it's free. Google it!

Oooh! I've never heard of this...that's pretty cool. I'll check it out. Thanks!
  • catgirl711
    Options
    I know most people wouldn't think about it as an exercise but I cleaned my apartment yesterday with my HRM on and I burn 1300 calories cleaning for 3.5 hours. Definitely didn't feel like the exercise I normally get but effective nonetheless
  • mhynes17
    Options
    We often play Wii dance games. Also, we take family bike rides or walks to get a healthy treat. If my husband and I need to run an errand, we try to do it walking. This in in addition to our weeknight jogs. The kids most enjoy the Wii for activities, but they will always be excited to take a bike ride or a walk when there is a frozen yogurt to be had!
  • bedoozled
    bedoozled Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Hiking is always a good option! Or "sports" you can do with your family (although obviously some will burn more than others) - ice skating, golf, bowling, rock climbing, skiing, snowboarding, Frisbee, tag, etc. - it's pretty easy once you get outdoors! For the inside, any sort of game that gets you moving (dance dance revolution or some of the newer dance along games, Wii fit games, etc.) are great - and ping pong is a wonderful idea! You could also try taking classes - my roommate and I just did a Caribbean rhythms one together, but your local gym (or equivalent) probably has some interesting ones to try out!
  • lukeout007
    Options
    We often play Wii dance games. Also, we take family bike rides or walks to get a healthy treat. If my husband and I need to run an errand, we try to do it walking. This in in addition to our weeknight jogs. The kids most enjoy the Wii for activities, but they will always be excited to take a bike ride or a walk when there is a frozen yogurt to be had!

My wife and I just got bikes for Christmas so I'm pretty excited to start riding...unfortunately the weather has been awful and is now culminating with around a foot of snow. Once it warms up though I'm all over the bike riding...
  • pinkydemon
    pinkydemon Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I am not so sure what you burn doing it but what about bowling?
  • mostlysunny07
    Options
    Cleaning actually is a great way to burn calories. I burned 544 calories the other day just doing light cleaning. Plus gardening, walking, hiking, swimming. All fun and burn a good deal of calories.
  • coyoteo
    coyoteo Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Call a babysitter and have sex on the kitchen table.
    Wait, not with the babysitter, with your spouse. The babysitter is for the kids.
  • amazon75
    amazon75 Posts: 165
    Options
    I went bowling on Saturday and burned over 500 calories.
  • Kristentheviolinist
    Options
    I play Just dance, but since I love dancing, i don't really notice. However, if you don't enjoy dancing, I wouldn't recommend it because it definitely kicks your but!!
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Full contact Skyrim ??
  • missfluffyuk
    Options
    Wait, not with the babysitter, with your spouse. The babysitter is for the kids.

Friend request sent :laugh:
  • EMarvie
    EMarvie Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    toboganning with the kids or friends.. lots of fun, and hard work too - walking up the hills - pick big hills..

have fun !
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I play Just dance, but since I love dancing, i don't really notice. However, if you don't enjoy dancing, I wouldn't recommend it because it definitely kicks your but!!

I LOVE Just Dance as exercise and it deff. burns calories and its fun! :smile:
  • lukeout007
    Options

BEST SUGGESTION EVER. But seriously...our sex life is on hold for a bit...my wife is prego and not really in the mood with being nauseous all the time.
  • beckie1185
    Options

Hahahaha! I am sending you a friend request as well!
  • beatleschic87
    beatleschic87 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Sex... you burn about 350 cal an hour... and that's if it's just normal pace :blushing: