Non-meat sources of protein

I switched my goal to 40/30/30 (carbs/fat/protein) in an effort to fuel the strength training that I just started and I am finding that I am always wayyy under on protein. I need more of it. I do eat meat, but I don't really want to add more of it to my diet and I don't like any kind of fish except shrimp and crab. I know there are lots of vegetarians out there - can you help me please?

Replies

• mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Greek yogurt, quinoa, tofu, cheese, protein powder, beans and lentils.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    from my vegetarian days i ate cottage cheese, eggs, other cheeses, milk, greek yogurt, nuts, quinoa, protein shakes, etc.

have you tried tilapia? I dont like fish either but this is really amazing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoDum4QNGA_fdEJZRnJnVjM5empiblE1cG0tcFJ1clE#gid=0
  • live2dream
    live2dream Posts: 614 Member
    Protein shakes, beans, lentils, nuts, tempeh, quinoa & other whole grains...

I tried this recipe the other day and it was awesome...and 24 grams of protein! http://vegweb.com/index.php?topic=39585.0
  • Julesong
    Julesong Posts: 18 Member
    from my vegetarian days i ate cottage cheese, eggs, other cheeses, milk, greek yogurt, nuts, quinoa, protein shakes, etc.

have you tried tilapia? I dont like fish either but this is really amazing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoDum4QNGA_fdEJZRnJnVjM5empiblE1cG0tcFJ1clE#gid=0

I can't eat tilapia (which is almost exclusively farm raised, from what I understand) after having seen the Dirty Jobs episode that revealed that it's a poo fish.

On most farms raising tilapia, they raise non-tilapia fish in the pools, move them to another pool, then send in the tilapia to clean up after them by eating the other fishes' excrement. They eat poo.

There are some farms which feed tilapia other things, but knowing where the tilapia you're eating/buying came from is chancy. From what I've read, US farms are preferred and farms in Chile are the worst.

Do a search online for tilapia and poo or poop.

Until I see labels on tilapia that say "farm raised on grain" or somesuch, I'm staying away from it. Blech.
  • DonPendergraft
    DonPendergraft Posts: 520 Member
    I don't think you need as much protein as your formula suggests. I get my protein from legumes, rice, almond milk, soy, etc.
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    tempeh and seitan are great sources of vegetarian protein. seitan is pure wheat gluten so not good if you have a sensitivity. Tempeh is a soy food, although nothing like tofu
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    most foods excluding most fruits and some veggies have protein. It's not hard to find :wink:
  • lms333
    lms333 Posts: 23 Member
    Yep, broccoli and spinach are pretty high in protein...just gotta eat a lot of it. I eat a lot of cottage cheese and kidney beans. Both of which have the necessary amino acids needed when not eating animal protein.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    I Love Love. My Greens,and for a long long while,ate
    Nothing but fruits and nutrient dense GREENS(MY blender meals i call them) and only recently adding
    Nuts quinoa,sprouts,legumes,& speed.Good luck.Feel free to friend me with a note to see my journal.I never l
    Liked fish either,only scallops,lobster,stone crab claws
    Cheese has too many cals. For you right now,so go light:flowerforyou:
  • Alexagetsfit
    Alexagetsfit Posts: 313 Member
    Thanks, guys. I will be adding several of these things to my grocery list
  • michelby09
    michelby09 Posts: 38 Member
    Looks like you have some awesome suggestions, but wanted to add edamame...I love this as a snack! I am a sucker for potato chips, so the crunchy edamame totally helps with the chip cravings :)
  • celfel10
    celfel10 Posts: 1 Member
    Steak night
  • sewedo1
    sewedo1 Posts: 200 Member
    Nuts, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, low-fat cheese, milk, beans