After a Miscarriage

Options
Hi guys,

I'm back to MFP to try to save my sanity. I used it a few years ago and lost about 60 lbs before I joined the military. Recently though I've had a miscarriage, my second one within a year. Last time I lost weight like crazy after (due to not eating properly). This time I have gained weight like crazy! I gained 18 lbs in the last month, and my doctors are lost. My OB/GYN said everything is healing properly after the surgery (D & C) and my primary care physician is looking at my thyroid and other things but so far they can't think of anything. They said I'm probably retaining water weight although they don't know why. I've been working out every day and eating healthy and sitting in a dry sauna a few times a week and so far nothing. Although I've been within my calorie limits every day and I've been avid about running, I seem to only have halted the weight gain, but I haven't been able to lose anything. Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Replies

• missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i'm really sorry about your losses. i had 3 m/c's and it is just an awful experience. how long ago did you have your m/c? i'm not saying this to be rude, but are you sure you aren't pregnant again? sometimes that can cause weight gain, and you are really fertile directly after having a pregnancy. if you are not pg, i would think it is most likely a hormone imbalance. esp since you've suffered 2 losses in one year, there is definitely something going on with your hormones to cause those m/c's. make sure your dr does a full panel of bloodwork to rule out hormone issues. be patient. sometimes it takes our bodies a while to get back to normal after being pregnant, even if we were only pregnant for a little while. :flowerforyou:
  • Pamela259
    Pamela259 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    hello im so sorry for your losses i had a miscarriage last year and i gained 14lb in 3 months i cried the first month or two then i thought to myself why am i crying over something i never saw < bad mistake after i stopped crying i started eating now i realise i have to grieve for my los baby iv been crying again (it seems to be how i need to cope) and ive alredy lost a pound in a few days. i have tried dieting exercising but the only thing that helped was grieving.
    love Pamela
  • jill92787
    jill92787 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I know I'm not pregnant again, I just lost the baby around New Year's and my boyfriend left for deployment a few days before that so there's no chance of that...

They are looking at my horomones and thyroid and such but it's just so frustrating that it was so soon. I only gained about 5 lbs during my pregancy but as soon as I lost the baby I started stacking on weight...FAST.
  • missikay1970
    Options
    I know I'm not pregnant again, I just lost the baby around New Year's and my boyfriend left for deployment a few days before that so there's no chance of that...

They are looking at my horomones and thyroid and such but it's just so frustrating that it was so soon. I only gained about 5 lbs during my pregancy but as soon as I lost the baby I started stacking on weight...FAST.

well after ruling out pregnancy, i would ask for a "recurrent loss panel" they will test for all kinds of things, and that could help you figure out why you m/c'd and keep it from happening again. part of your weight gain might stem from those hormonal issues. keep your chin up. i'm sorry this has happened. :smile:
  • jill92787
    Options
    The military insurance won't pay for a fertility work up uless you've had 3 miscarriages... My doctor is trying to skirt the system a little but there's only so much he can do.
  • Cacopeland
    Cacopeland Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. I just want to say you are doing amazing and you should be so proud of yourself for remembering that you need to take care of your body, even when things are rough. With that said, did they follow your numbers back to zero post miscarriage? If not there may still be some residual hormones in your system. I had a first trimester loss last year and actually found my body inducing lactation months later... my son is 3 now, so there was no way it was "leftovers" from him. My body simply did not return to normal non preggo HCG levels. I do agree with the previous poster who suggested getting a multiple loss screening. It may bring up issues your doctor would not think to look for.
  • missikay1970
    Options
    The military insurance won't pay for a fertility work up uless you've had 3 miscarriages... My doctor is trying to skirt the system a little but there's only so much he can do.

my ins was the same way. unfortunately i did have 3 so i did the testing. i have MTHFR gene mutation. all that was done was prescribed TONS of folate. so you might want to just take extra just in case. :smile: 400-800 mcg is recommendation for "normal" women, but you can take up to 1000+ mcg. i think my prescription is like 4.4 MG (not mcg)
  • Moin78
    Moin78 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am really sorry for your loss. I, too, had a miscarriage (June 6, 2011). I have gained quite a bit of weight since then as well, but the weight gain plateaued a couple months ago. I don't have any answers, but I do know that the body is strange, indeed! Stress and grief can cause weight gain (as well as weight loss), so I can see why the doctors would be at a loss. Hang in there, and if you need/want a friend, feel free to friend me.

Huggs!
  • jill92787
    Options
    Thanks guys.

This has been a really hard month for me, and I'm still just sort of in a daze. Everyone comments on how happy I seem, but really it feels like I just don't feel anything, sad or happy. I know it'll just take time and I'm doing my best to take care of myself. I weighed in yesterday and I've lost 5 lbs in the last week, which is pretty fast. My weight seems to just be doing whatever it feels like right now, but I'll take the loss for now. I've got to just keep eating well and working out I guess and just stick with it. As for everything else, I guess I'm just not ready to deal with it just yet but I'm sure it will catch up to me at some point. Being the second time this has happened I feel like I just don't know what to say or do anymore about it. It doesn't help that the baby's father left for deployment the same day I had to have surgery. Life sucks sometimes.

The folic acid is a good idea, I'll have to add an extra folic acid supplement to my daily vitamins, just in case.
  • chrissy996
    Options
    I am having the same issue with weight gain after a miscarriage.. I have been pregnant 5 times only one successful. My last I lost at 18 weeks in august, I bled right up to about 2 weeks ago and now nothing, just a fast growing stomach. I am having a hard time understanding why. I was in yesterday for another ultrasound so Im certain I am not pregnant again. Seems its just our bodies changing with the hormones but honestly trying to get over things like this emotionally is hard but dealing with it for this long physically is also very hard... I work out everyday and now Im at eat the bear minimum just so I don't have to resort to going back into maternity clothes again... I have even started taking this supplement, gardenia cambogia...... Not helping. Im literally going nuts!! Just want to get back to my normal body and life...
  • cateyedkp
    cateyedkp Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I am having the same issue with weight gain after a miscarriage.. I have been pregnant 5 times only one successful. My last I lost at 18 weeks in august, I bled right up to about 2 weeks ago and now nothing, just a fast growing stomach. I am having a hard time understanding why. I was in yesterday for another ultrasound so Im certain I am not pregnant again. Seems its just our bodies changing with the hormones but honestly trying to get over things like this emotionally is hard but dealing with it for this long physically is also very hard... I work out everyday and now Im at eat the bear minimum just so I don't have to resort to going back into maternity clothes again... I have even started taking this supplement, gardenia cambogia...... Not helping. Im literally going nuts!! Just want to get back to my normal body and life...

Chrissy, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss :( My heart breaks for you. Has your OB given you an ultrasound to make sure nothing medical is still going on?

Barring medical reasons for not losing, I think you might be eating too little. I committed to MFP back in July after finding out at my 12 week appointment that instead of a baby, I had a tumor that put me at risk for cancer (partial molar pregnancy). I started out where you are now. Eating only 1200 calories while working out like a crazy person, and I wasn't doing myself any favors. After an initial loss of 8 lbs, I stalled for 4 solid weeks. I was SUPER frustrated.

Then I discovered the TDEE -20% method, and haven't looked back since. Long story short, it's a calculation that takes into account a bunch of factors, including how often you're working out, and you eat the same number of calories every day. I've been eating 1750 calories per day and averaging a 0.5 - 1.5/ week loss.

You've already done the hard part- committed to working out and eating right. So now, find what is going to truly work for you. If you're exhausted and hungry all the time on top of being stressed about your weight, you'll never have the energy to grieve and work through your emotions. It's going to take a few months, but you will slowly start to see changes and feel more normal. I wish you the best <3