Two Questions......

Options
First. I live bread. Any one know a good one for diets?

Second. My sugar allowance is 31/day I find it hard to use my cals and stay on or under my sugar allowance.

Tvm in advance :)

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Go for the most natural/least refined bread you can.

Where are your sugars coming from? If they are natural sugars I wouldn't worry so much about them. If they are processed then that's not so good.
  • 82dB
    82dB Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Dinners and lunches. Sandwiches and juice drinks.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Bread, 100 calorie sandwich thins work for me.

Juice drinks are bad for you believe it or not, unless fresh made. Drinking calories is not as much fun to me as eating them, so I drink water and eat fruit.

I go over sugar every single day and so far, from what I am hearing from lots of others, the sugar goal is way too low on here. I get my sugar from fruit and there is no way I am giving that up.

But If I were you, try cutting out the juice drinks.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Look for bread with whole wheat/whole grain listed as the first ingredient, and with the most fiber you can find. Breads with high fiber are *usually* the least processed, therefore have the slowest-digesting carbs.

As for your sugar intake, if you're eating a lot of fruit I wouldn't worry about it.. unless your weight loss is stalling, then you may want to cut some fruit. Otherwise, look out for hidden sugars in sauces, dressings, and carby foods.
  • melsaby
    Options
    Go for the most natural/least refined bread you can.

Where are your sugars coming from? If they are natural sugars I wouldn't worry so much about them. If they are processed then that's not so good.

Agreed. Keep an eye on what's in your bread. I have found that a lot of breads have high fructose corn syrup in them to keep it from going bad. It takes longer for you body to process this type of sugar, so try to look for things that do not have it in them.
  • 82dB
    Options
    Wow thanks for all the advice guys. I'll defo look into the Bread, 100 calorie sandwich.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i agree about the Oroweat sandwich thins, only 100 cal. i love them. other than that, i do not eat bread.
    i never really cared much for sweets, but i could eat bread & butter like nobody i know!!! gave it up and the cravings have gone away.
  • 82dB
    Options
    Are Oroweat sandwich thins, only in the US?
  • Enchantedpoetess
    Options
    First. I live bread. Any one know a good one for diets?

Second. My sugar allowance is 31/day I find it hard to use my cals and stay on or under my sugar allowance.

Tvm in advance :)

Soda/quick breads are good they don't use alot of sugar if any. Pita breads depending on the kind have low sugar and so are some roll up breads or flat outs, you have to check the ingrediant list though to make sure the one your getting is a lower sugar one. Since your restricted on your sugar definately look and see what the sugar is on your loafs. But I'd invest in a bread maker and make my own (I have one and I do make my own). I love wheat breads. You can search the internet for low cal breads to make in your bread maker. They surely have diabetic recipes too which might be good to look into. If you stay away from refind or white grains that should help you eat more calories without all the sugar I think. As a general rule white breads are higher in sugar I think, not always just usually and the whole grain is healthier anyway.
    I love Oroweat and the hundred loaf breads that was refered to above is awesome too. I don't know if it is only available in the US or not. Oroweat is a big bread brand out here though and it is a healthier one. Natures Pride is good, but it's high in sugar. Then you have Natures Own and it's pretty good, not quit as good as Oroweat sugar wise but not as bad as Natures Pride.
    Artisian bread is great for your sugar count but sucks for calories.
    I would check the loafs out in the supermarket and find which ones meet your needs and wants, every bread is different, it's hard to believe until you look at the back panal.
  • Enchantedpoetess
    Options
    Dinners and lunches. Sandwiches and juice drinks.

Any juice drink is going to be high in calories and sugar and low in nutrients. You'd be better off limiting yourself to one sandwhich a day and having a glass of water, beer, or tea with dinners and lunches. You can make sandwhiches without bread. Just slap your meat between two peices of tomatoe or lettuce or try some whole wheat pita bread or pita pockets instead of regular bread and that should help. Have a piece of fruit for dessert if you like the sweetness of the juice. You'll get all the nutrients and not all the extra sugar.
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    hey! I'd suggest trying out RYE bread. Its much healthier for your body because it's more natural, just like the first poster said. It has not many calories and to me ( since i rarely eat bread) this bread tastes like chocolate bread haha. If you ever been to Cheesecake Factory, u know they serve this dark brown bread - i kid you not its like chocolate as well. Im not crazy, i promise
  • 82dB
    Options
    Defo trying rye bread!
  • hungryPHATbunny
    hungryPHATbunny Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    As above, I love and swear by rye bread...it tastes great, low in calories and very filling...try it.
  • 82dB
    Options
    Just tried House of Westphalla Wholemeal Rye Bread. And I like it. Cheers for the advice guys!
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Pepperidge Farms and Arnolds also make a good whole wheat deli thin that is only 100 calories.
    How do you do on your sodium? That is what I struggle with the most.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goals.

If you are looking for the most nutrient dense bread then your answer will likely differ from someone who is looking to use bread as a vehicle to deliver the meat.

I use the lowest calorie stuff I can find and I get my nutrients elsewhere, and it's a sacrifice I'm absolutely willing to make. Village Hearth 45 calorie wheat.
  • pucenavel
    pucenavel Posts: 972 Member
    Options
    Make your own.

Flour, Water, Yeast, Oven