How do you motivate someone?

Options
nnylee
nnylee Posts: 814 Member
I have a friend who is obese. He eats fast food or frozen dinners every night and drinks a liter of soda a day.

I know first hand that unless a person is motivated to lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle, they will not do it no matter how much someone tells them to.

I'm not his mom, I know that. But I care about him and am worried! I'm terrified that his already high cholesterol will go through the roof if he keeps eating all this crap every day.

There's nothing I can do right? Is anyone else in this position?

Replies

• ambivalence11
    ambivalence11 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My whole family is obese, and even my best friend is. I made the decision to change for me, and I know that no matter what I do, they wont. This is something you have to do 100% for yourself. They say I am an inspiration, but then they go out to dinner and eat 2000 cals in a single meal. Be supportive and offer to help them in anyway you can, but until they want to change, there's nothing you can do.
  • katkins3
    katkins3 Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    All you can do is lead by example.
    Usually efforts to encourage someone to diet only makes them dig their heels in. If someone decides to lose weight too, let them approach you and then be gracious and avoid "I told you so"
  • acyinks2000
    Options
    I agree with those saying to set an example, but there are some things you can do if your friend is willing. The best way (imo) is to try to find something, anything, that provides some cardiovascular workout that they enjoy. Be it walking, rollerblading, biking, hiking in the woods/mountains, swimming, surfing, etc. Help them find the activity they enjoy. Any amount of exercise is more than they are getting now and that is a start. And if they aren't motivated to continue then just tell yourself you tried and accept them for what they are, your friend, and that is what matters not their weight.
  • melmac1972
    Options
    People HAVE To be ready for this step, and if it comes down to something (health related) happening to him, that might be what it takes, Its something you hate to see, but you can't babysit him , you can't prepare his meals & follow him around, and drag him to the gym. Get healthy for you and maybe it'll rub off, and maybe it won't...just focus on being THE BEST U, That U can be !!!! :smile:
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    You can't motivate him. The only person that can motivate him is him. Unfortunately. My husband was 350 lbs and had no intention of losing weight. He would literally come home and ask me what was for dinner. When I would tell him baked chicken and roasted vegetables, he would tell me that it didn't sound good. So I started telling him that Burger King was right down the street. I heard over and over how he was going to change and I just got sick of it. When we moved here he woke up one morning with chest pains and I took him to the immediate care center. We thought he was having a heart attack. While he was laying on the bed he kept telling my youngest son how much he loved him and I told him, "I did not marry you to watch your die and that's what you're doing to yourself. If I'm going to be a single mom to 4 kids, then I'm going to leave you now so that I can have the support of my family because I need someone that is going to be around to help me and you don't care enough about us to fix this."

He has since lost 30 lbs (this was only 2 months ago) just by changing his eating habits. It took almost having a heart attack to motivate him. That's really sad but that's what it took.
  • nnylee
    Options
    Wow, that is an incredible story. Really scary, but I'm glad he changed for the better. My friend , he's only 26 and it seems to me that he's heading down that road. :(
    You can't motivate him. The only person that can motivate him is him. Unfortunately. My husband was 350 lbs and had no intention of losing weight. He would literally come home and ask me what was for dinner. When I would tell him baked chicken and roasted vegetables, he would tell me that it didn't sound good. So I started telling him that Burger King was right down the street. I heard over and over how he was going to change and I just got sick of it. When we moved here he woke up one morning with chest pains and I took him to the immediate care center. We thought he was having a heart attack. While he was laying on the bed he kept telling my youngest son how much he loved him and I told him, "I did not marry you to watch your die and that's what you're doing to yourself. If I'm going to be a single mom to 4 kids, then I'm going to leave you now so that I can have the support of my family because I need someone that is going to be around to help me and you don't care enough about us to fix this."

He has since lost 30 lbs (this was only 2 months ago) just by changing his eating habits. It took almost having a heart attack to motivate him. That's really sad but that's what it took.
  • nnylee
    Options
    He walks to and from work. Which is actually a nice walk. But because he walks, he rewards himself by eating junk food. We have A LOT of fast food and Chinese take out places around here so it's easy for him to order on up and eat the crap.
    I agree with those saying to set an example, but there are some things you can do if your friend is willing. The best way (imo) is to try to find something, anything, that provides some cardiovascular workout that they enjoy. Be it walking, rollerblading, biking, hiking in the woods/mountains, swimming, surfing, etc. Help them find the activity they enjoy. Any amount of exercise is more than they are getting now and that is a start. And if they aren't motivated to continue then just tell yourself you tried and accept them for what they are, your friend, and that is what matters not their weight.
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    show him this....
    300_26953.gif
    and say... "this is what you are made of."
  • nnylee
    Options
    I honestly don't know if I could do that. That seems really harsh. ;_;
    show him this....
    300_26953.gif
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    i know right?! that would be soooooo mean.

only do it if they complain!
  • nnylee
    Options
    No, he never complains about it. He doesn't seemed concerned at all!
    i know right?! that would be soooooo mean.

only do it if they complain!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Lead by example.

You can't motivate someone who isn't ready. But you can certainly demonstrate a healthy, fit lifestyle.
  • msjones2831
    msjones2831 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same situation with my mother. I soooooooooo want her to live a healthy life, but no matter what I say or do she is not yet ready. So I have offered to help her whenever she is ready for change until then I just pray for her and I'm trying to get my life on the right track and be that example others have spoke of.
  • maybethistime70
    Options
    you can't motivate him but you can sit him down and tell him your concerns, and say that whenever he is ready you are there to support and encourage. sometimes just telling someone how worried you are about their habits can be a motivation.
  • nnylee
    Options
    Lead by example.

You can't motivate someone who isn't ready. But you can certainly demonstrate a healthy, fit lifestyle.

The 3 friends that he has...We all work out, eat clean and go to the same gym. He is the only one who doesn't.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Does he tell you his cholesterol is high? If so, you can encourage him to track it here, and learn for himself what foods are high in cholesterol.
    Could you invite him over for dinner and prepare something tasty and healthy? If he sees that healthy eating isn't all lettuce leafs and tofu, he may decide he can make better choices.
    But tread carefully. Even now, if someone hurts my feelings, food can be mighty seductive.
  • foremant86
    foremant86 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Lead by example.

The 3 friends that he has...We all work out, eat clean and go to the same gym. He is the only one who doesn't.

all you can do is keep trying but as you know, he has to want to change himself.

It took me a few months to get my brother to workout and eat healthier with me, but i just kept talking about my progress and how much I feel and what not and a couple months ago he finally decided to work out with me, eat better and join MFP. I've also recently motivated my father and mother to start watching what they eat and to exercise and a friend of mine has also started to make healthier choices.

You CAN motivate people, you just can't make them do anything they don't want to do. but nobody truly wants to be obese and unhealthy, it's just easier to be that way than to get up and do something about it..
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    show him this....
    300_26953.gif

Um is that lemon jello??? cause I want it!!
  • nygiantschick
    nygiantschick Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    All you can do is lead by example.
    Usually efforts to encourage someone to diet only makes them dig their heels in. If someone decides to lose weight too, let them approach you and then be gracious and avoid "I told you so"

^this
  • FabMrFox
    FabMrFox Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    seriously though simple but creative motivation for a guy........take a semi nude photo have it made into a puzzle.....1 piece per month of no soda and or 5 pounds weight loss.....if you are truly "just" friends make the last piece the face and have the picture not be you lol