Helping your kids be healthy

Options
I have an 8 year old daughter who appears has more of my genes than her mothers. We eat pretty healthy, but I am starting to get concerned about her weight. How do I help her without creating self conscious feelings? We ride our bikes together and we try to do exercise things together, but she is going to have to start eating even healthier. I just want her to be healthy and happy.

Replies

• smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    If you eat pretty healthy for meals maybe it's in the portion size or the between meal snacks. A friend of mine had a daughter that age and having the same problem and she cut out all junk food and replaced snacks with fruit. Her daughter slimmed down quickly. also some kids hit growth spurts in a funny way. When I was a kid I would get pudgy then I would sprout up an inch or 2. Maybe she grows this way? Try not to place too much emphasis in getting her to thin out, but more on being healthy and active. try to get her to join a sport at school. Most winter sports are under way, but maybe track or softball in the spring and many areas have summer sports teams like soccer or softball.
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    As long as you eat pretty healthy and exercise I wouldn't stress too much just yet about her weight just yet. My younger sister got a little heavier around that age, and then she got a bit taller and developed breasts and suddenly she was lean as can be! Focus on staying healthy but don't worry too much just yet, you seem to have her on the right path.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    My goddaughter is 9 and I have noticed that she'll start to look a little pudgy, her mom will start to worry, and then she'll shoot up a few inches and be fine. I would try to keep an eye on portions and keep emphasizing fun activities.
  • Katie41907
    Options
    I agree with everyone else. Focus on her being healthy. Let her know how important it is that EVERYONE in the family is as healthy as possible. In order to do that junk food, sodas, and unplanned food has to go!

Good Luck!
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I would just watch the snacks you buy. Maybe portion out the "junk food" snacks for her into ziplock bags so that when she does want chips, cookies, etc. it's a reasonable portion that's easy for her to grab. Also cutting up fruits & veggies so that she can easily grab them for a healthy snack without having to do any prep would encourage her to snack healthy. I would also suggest not directly bringing up the "weight" issue, but framing everything in terms of healthy (which it sounds like you are doing) so she doesn't get self conscious or an unhealthy obsession with losing weight at such a young age.