Upping Cals...some personal advice please?

Options
Hey all, I've been reading a lot lately about the benefits of eating more while losing weight. I am a little confused about the whole situation and just wanted some advice from those in the know.

I am 5'2 with a medium and muscular build (Even at 120lbs in high school I wasn't SKINNY...moreso solid/curvy haha). I currently weigh 158 and have a goal of 140.

MFP of course told me that I should be eating 1200 calories, which for my height etc. would only allow me to lose 1.3lbs a week. For a bit over 2 months I stayed at my calorie limit, always eating 1200, and eating back most or all of my exercise calories. I've lost 13 lbs since Nov. 1st. (starting weight 171)..so it has been working...but I worry it may not work long term, and I also worry because of all the things I see with people saying 1200 is really not enough for anybody. BUT then I also see a lot of posts about how it's ok for short people.

According to MFP my TDEE is 1760, which is about what I got with the other calculators I used. I just changed my goal to 0.5 lbs a week and it upped my cals to 1510. I guess what I'm wondering is if those who know think that this could be a good number for me? Or, since I'm short and only have 18 lbs to lose should I stick with the 1200?

Replies

• jlr_12
    jlr_12 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Some advice PLEASE. PRETTY PLEASE?
  • MandeeSue
    MandeeSue Posts: 153
    Options
    I would love to know too...I am wondering the same thing. I have a lot more to lose than you do, but after what I have read today and what I have researched I should be eating more than the 1200 ? I'm so lost and confused I sure hope someone can help us out..Good luck !
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Hey all, I've been reading a lot lately about the benefits of eating more while losing weight. I am a little confused about the whole situation and just wanted some advice from those in the know.

I am 5'2 with a medium and muscular build (Even at 120lbs in high school I wasn't SKINNY...moreso solid/curvy haha). I currently weigh 158 and have a goal of 140.

MFP of course told me that I should be eating 1200 calories, which for my height etc. would only allow me to lose 1.3lbs a week. For a bit over 2 months I stayed at my calorie limit, always eating 1200, and eating back most or all of my exercise calories. I've lost 13 lbs since Nov. 1st. (starting weight 171)..so it has been working...but I worry it may not work long term, and I also worry because of all the things I see with people saying 1200 is really not enough for anybody. BUT then I also see a lot of posts about how it's ok for short people.

According to MFP my TDEE is 1760, which is about what I got with the other calculators I used. I just changed my goal to 0.5 lbs a week and it upped my cals to 1510. I guess what I'm wondering is if those who know think that this could be a good number for me? Or, since I'm short and only have 18 lbs to lose should I stick with the 1200?
    If it were me, I'd set my goals for a half a pound per week, eating back my exercise calories.

Enjoy the process, and make it a lifestyle.
  • akjstyles
    akjstyles Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Try it for a few weeks and see if if you are still losing. Mine was set at 1200 calories to start with as well. I have lost almost 50 pounds by eating 1200 calories per day and am ready for that weight loss to slow down so I changed my goals slightly and am now allowed 1380 calories per day. I also eat back half of my exercise calories so it takes me to at least 1500 per day. I am hoping it works and will try it for a few weeks to see.
  • jlr_12
    Options

If it were me, I'd set my goals for a half a pound per week, eating back my exercise calories.

Enjoy the process, and make it a lifestyle.

That's what I've just decided to do, starting today...I just wasn't sure being that I am a shorty and as a shorty I would think it could make sense that I'd need less calories than the average person. Thanks for responding! It's definitely a lifestyle for me...I'm already pretty in-the-know when it comes to health and nutrition as I have a kin degree and a BEd in Phys. Ed...I just lost my way on the portion control and snacking for a couple years :(
  • fuzz_pawz
    fuzz_pawz Posts: 106
    Options

This sounds EXACTLY like me! Mind if I latch onto your thread and see what advice you get (so i can use it too)?? :)
  • Tan43
    Tan43 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am in exactly the same position as you. I have averaged 1200 calories netted over the last 3 months and whilst i lost some to start with I have hit the wall and nothing is happening. MFP has my TDEE at 1760 and my calories per day at 1260 with activity listed as lightly active with a weight loss of 1 pound a week. I eat back my exercise calories. My BMR comes in at 1290.....So technically I have to eat below what calories I need just to stay alive?????? I am upping my calories for 2 weeks to see what happens.

It is all trial and error and you have to keep going forward.
    Good Luck:smile:
  • MandaCakez
    MandaCakez Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 n started at 1200 calories as my start intake too. My starting weight was 175 n i got down to 160 n then it seemed i wasnt losing any n i got really discouraged. So then i got some advice n i upped my weight lose from 2lbs a week to 1lb n i got back to losing n i am now 150 which was my goal weight but i am still not that happy. I need to lose alil more of my belly and thighs. Im stuck in the same boat u r
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i am about the same height as you(just older!) and i was eating only the 1200 cal to start and have been limiting calories my whole adult life and working out. my weight always has stayed about the same, up or down 5 pounds, unless i was pregnant. when i stated MFP my goal was to lose the belly fat that i was starting to develop. after 2-3 weeks a friend told me that he didn't think i was eating enough calories for my workouts so i took his advice and changed my setting to 1/2 pound so my goal went to 1500 and i am eating back my calories (at least half). in the past 2-3 weeks i have started to see some loss on the scale and i am losing some of that stubborn belly fat! i am a believer! now...i am not eating 1700-1800 calories of crap (don't hold the two dark chocolate salty caramels i ate today against me)...i am eating lots of protein, veggies, fruits, nuts, avacado, etc. i am not eating any grains, dairy or "processed foods". i feel fuller and more satisfied...i am sleeping better....i reached my goal of doing pullups in the last couple of weeks (getting 3 sets of 5 now!). oh, and i just found out i am going to be a grandma! :)
  • Tan43
    Tan43 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Forgot to mention details: I`m 5 Foot 1 Inch, started at 160 pounds, now 153.
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    trial & error is right. I wanted to lose faster so I adjusted to 1200 a day, but I felt slow and tired, and I didn't lose faster anyway. 1500 seems to be right for me. I'm 5'8" with a large and muscular frame (underneath the fat) and my goal is 142. I'm pretty sure I am underestimating the amount of calories I use when I lift weights and that may be a big factor for me.
  • jlr_12
    Options
    I am 5'2 n started at 1200 calories as my start intake too. My starting weight was 175 n i got down to 160 n then it seemed i wasnt losing any n i got really discouraged. So then i got some advice n i upped my weight lose from 2lbs a week to 1lb n i got back to losing n i am now 150 which was my goal weight but i am still not that happy. I need to lose alil more of my belly and thighs. Im stuck in the same boat u r

When you went from 2 lbs to 1lb what was your calorie goal? I did that and it only gave me 1270 cals a day...which I don't think is enough to make much of a difference. Is that all you had and you lost another 10lbs? Or did MFP give you more cals?