2 weeks in and low energy

Options
I have been doing this for 2 weeks now.

I am on a 1200 calorie diet and burn off about 380 a day through exercise.

The last 3 days I have felt so tired and just blah!

Is this a normal adjustment period??
Has anyone else felt had low energy then came out of it feeling better?

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Did MFP give you the recommendation of 1200 or did you pull that number out of a hat? 1200 is pretty low, unless you're a small woman it's probably too low. Also, if you're doing 380 calories worth of exercise, are you eating those calories back? If not, you're only netting just over 800 calories a day. 1200 is low, 800 is dangerous and would easily make you feel tired.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'd guess it's because you aren't eating enough to stay healthy and your body is responding by slowing down and tryiing to conserve energy. Most people can lose weight on much more than 1200 cals - it might take longer but you will fell sooooo much better.
    And yes, eat those calories you are burning from exercise - your body needs them!
  • Amburglar
    Options
    1200 cal is WAY too low...especially if you aren't eating back those workout calories. Essentially, you are throwing your body into starvation mode, in which, your immune system will tank, as well and your metabolism, because your body will hold onto everything not knowing when it will be fed next.

Usually, when I feel tired, it's because I haven't' eaten enough to fascilitate energy output.
  • muzmacol
    muzmacol Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    i'd agree with the first 3 replies. Your not eaing enough, 1200 is low for anyonne. Eat back your burnt calories and a couple hundred more and you'll be just fine. Dont despair.
  • cscgal
    cscgal Posts: 27
    Options
    MFP gave me 1200 calories also and I fill the same way. I try and get as close as possible to 1200 but when I excersie I gain about 400-500 back so that 1600 calories and sometimes I cant always get to that. By the end of the day I just want to go to bed I fill so drained. Wonder what the reasoning is. I have TONS of protein in my diet everyday.
  • Crystal_Pistol
    Crystal_Pistol Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    You have no energy because you are hungry as hell! EAT, EAT, exercise, then EAT AGAIN!!! I've been to the 1200 calorie party and I'm never going again. If I tried to do 1200 calories a day with my current activity, I might pass out.
  • Munchi8175
    Munchi8175 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I agree... That sounds REALLY low! MFP allots me 1930 calories every day, and I usually earn 500-600 calories from exercise, which I do use if needed. Even with that, I still find myself being more tired in the evening than I normally am as my body adjusts. If you set your own calorie goals, you may want to see what MFP recommends even if only for comparison.
  • MrsJohnston
    MrsJohnston Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    My trainer told me that she finds most people say they don't have much energy the first few weeks into a training program. It could be that or it could be what you're eating. Are you getting enough carbs and protein? Tweaking you're diet may be just what you need!
  • KandieLantz
    KandieLantz Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Listen to these people.... EAT... exercise... and eat those calories back as well... it truly does work as you can see by my ticker... you need to eat to fuel your body to workout and burn fat.... I thoroughly enjoyed 1800 calories today and SHOULD have had more honestly. EAT!
  • tammi42
    tammi42 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    yup, I agree with everybody else....wayyyyy to low. You do not want to pass out if you are working out. Your body needs the fuel to move. :)
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I agree, sounds way too low. Did you set a goal of too much weight loss per week? That will drive your daily calorie allowance down. Also be sure to balance what you are eating, check the ratio of protein, carbs and fat.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    MFP gave me 1200 calories also and I fill the same way. I try and get as close as possible to 1200 but when I excersie I gain about 400-500 back so that 1600 calories and sometimes I cant always get to that. By the end of the day I just want to go to bed I fill so drained. Wonder what the reasoning is. I have TONS of protein in my diet everyday.

Protein is fine, but you need ENERGY and that means calories (wherever they come from - protein, carbs, fat).
    Same advice for you - if you are low on energy and low on calories - add calories!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Another 1200 calorie forum!

wtfiknow.jpg

Set calories to 1600-1800 and start cardio 3 times a week.
    Youll lose appx 1lb a week.
    Go!
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Low energy is a sign that something isn't right. I've tried a lot of different "eating plans" over the years. And whenever I made a diet change that resulted in low energy...waiting NEVER fixed the problem. If you have low energy, something is amiss. You probably need either more fuel or a different kind of fuel.

More Fuel: IMO, 1200 is too low for more folks than not. Its a pet peeve of mine that MFP seems to tell all sorts of women to eat 1200 calories. I've never done 1200 calories and I'm 4'11. Experiment with eating more. You don't have to go crazy.

Different Fuel: Sometimes when we make a diet change, we aren't use to 'cleaner' eating, and make mistakes in what we need. Here's an example of a common mistake...maybe you ate 70% of your calories from refined carbs before trying to lose weight...you still got plenty of protein and fat because you were eating a lot more calories...say 2700. If you cut down to 1600 calories but are still eating 70% refined carbs, you're probably a little low in something else, like protein...and vitamins. See how that works? Try eating more of...whatever you think you might be missing. Its often protein.
  • mbriscoe79
    mbriscoe79 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I just used the calorie amount that was set by MFP.

Im female and I currently weigh 67Kg (147.5lbs), I do try to eat what I burn off but its not always feasible.

I do eat after I exercise about 30mins after.

My proteins always go over LOL not a day has gone by when I have been under proteins.

I think I will try to eat a little more. :-)

Oh and Helloitsdan, not everyone on here has been around as long as you have. I sure dont know what Im doing and thats why Im here asking for advice and information. Cant say your reply made me feel good
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    since there is no such thing as 'starvation mode'..its a myth.

anyways..since that, it could just anything really. You could try eating more. But I've done this before too. Its just one of those things. Our bodies are dynamic things. It changes and sometimes even when we havent changed any habits. I had low energy for about a month once over the summer. I got blood work done and everything was fine. I was eating 1800 cals at the time and doing no cardio, only lifting. One day literally I just started having energy again.

If you really feel lethargic, I'd suggest a visit for a checkup to your doctor. Feeling worn down and tired could be caused by anything, from yes not eating enough, to abdnormal body chemistry, to depression, or just plain not getting enough sleep.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    since there is no such thing as 'starvation mode'..its a myth.

anyways..since that, it could just anything really. You could try eating more. But I've done this before too. Its just one of those things. Our bodies are dynamic things. It changes and sometimes even when we havent changed any habits. I had low energy for about a month once over the summer. I got blood work done and everything was fine. I was eating 1800 cals at the time and doing no cardio, only lifting. One day literally I just started having energy again.

If you really feel lethargic, I'd suggest a visit for a checkup to your doctor. Feeling worn down and tired could be caused by anything, from yes not eating enough, to abdnormal body chemistry, to depression, or just plain not getting enough sleep.

I wouldnt say its a myth but its damn hard to get into "starvation mode" We are talking about not eating for days. Who wants to do that?! Except the ED peeps that is!
  • mbriscoe79
    mbriscoe79 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Turns out Ive got a head cold.

I may have had it coming for a few days and that combined with maybe not enough food, I think made me feel tired :-(

Hopefully in a few days I will have more energy
  • samatalma
    samatalma Posts: 197
    Options
    I haven't read any of the other comments, but you're not eating enough. Simple as that. You're tired because your body has no fuel. Eat and you will no longer be tired.
  • soniaa777
    soniaa777 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    maybe try taking vitamins or vitamin shakes :)