How much water is TOO much water?????

Options
I'm doing my best to drink as much water as possible. I've never been a fan of water so I've been using limes to make it taste better for me. The thing is sometimes it feels like I've had WAY too much but really is that possible? Maybe 5 or 6 24 ounce bottles throughout the day. Looking for some feedback on how many ounces others drink on average per day.

Thanks!

Replies

• purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Yes it's possible to drink too much water, it can kill you.

I drink 100-125 oz. a day, normally.
  • Tia_N_Mac
    Tia_N_Mac Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    My goal is 100 oz but today I drank 160.
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this answers your question, but a trainer once told me that whatever number is half of your body weight is the amount of ounces you should be drinking. So, if your 130, you'd need about 65 ounces.

Hope that helps :)
  • MummyHungry
    MummyHungry Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    When you feel drunk. =)

No kidding, either. This page has the early signs to help you avoid water intoxication. But of course the best rule is to stop drinking if it starts to get uncomfortable.

http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/hydrationandfluid/a/Hyponatremia.htm
  • mamamc03
    mamamc03 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Most I've done is 120, but I usually do 6-8 cups.
  • iishnova
    iishnova Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this answers your question, but a trainer once told me that whatever number is half of your body weight is the amount of ounces you should be drinking. So, if your 130, you'd need about 65 ounces.

Hope that helps :)

I've never heard this before! I'm going to try to up my water intake (I knew I wasn't drinking enough *grumble*) Thanks!
  • nursy911
    Options
    Total fluid consumption is typically around 3000 ml for a person with normal renal function (includes water that is in food). Drinking too much water can lead to water intoxication and serious electrolyte imbalances (and even death).
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I drink enough to where I almost wet my pants walking the 5-minute hike to the bathroom here at work. That's how I know I've gotten to my limit :) That's usually around glass 10 or 11.
  • 15in8
    15in8 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    The old 8 glasses in a myth. The position of the Australian kidney association is now drinks as thirst dictates.

http://www.kidney.org.au/KidneyDisease/Drinkwaterinstead/tabid/703/Default.aspx

But drinking more than 4 litres has been shown to increase the risk of proteinuria (inc protein levels in urine)

Clark, W. F.; Kortas, C.; Suri, R. S.; Moist, L. M.; Salvadori, M.; Weir, M. A.; Garg, A. X.; Wel, I. (2008). "Excessive fluid intake as a novel cause of proteinuria". Canadian Medical Association Journal 178 (2): 173–175
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    ummm that's a lot you can cut back if you like. 64should do it, some do half their body weight, but really you're drinking enough
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    If you don't like water, drink something else. I almost never drink plain water and I haven't died yet.
    All fluids count towards your daily water in your journal -- including coffee, tee, protein shakes, juice, milk, almond milk, etc...