GIRLS ONLY: advice please?

Options
Hello,

I have two concerns that I hope other women might be able to help me with.

1. When I get my period, how can that effect my weight loss/body/hunger?

2. Currently I am on the birth control patch, Orthoevra, but am switching to a low estrogen birth control pill, in hopes that this could be the cause of my non-losing weight. Any comments on this?!

Thank you for all and any advice you can give on these two concerns!

-Kayla :)

Replies

• swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    1. Your period can definitely cause weight gain in the form of water retention.

2. I despise all forms of hormonal birth control. It's just not good for your body, in my opinion. I gained weight going on the pill, had an awful time getting off it. I will never do hormonal birth control again. All that to say, you injecting your body with hormones that aren't supposed to be there and tricking it basically - so it can definitely affect other hormones/metabolism/etc.
  • mommyoverboard
    Options
    1. You can gain 2-5 lbs of water weight that will drop back off after your cycle/ this might make you look or feel bloated.
    2. As far as hunger, I assume you mean cravings? Anything is "ok" within moderation
    3. Everyone's body is different so don't take anyone's word for it that your body will react the same as someone elses. BC of course plays into your hormones which can in fact factor into how your body stores fat. However, switching BC won't be a quick fix. Just like any other advise, weight loss begins and ends with healthy eating habits and exercise.

Good luck! :)
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    1. I don't know, how has having your period affected your weight loss/body/hunger for the past years you've had it?

2. I'd consider making my food diary public for a little while so that people can take a look. Most of the time people's weight gain from b/c is not so drastic that it causes them to be incapable of ever losing. Usually, the inability to lose comes from your calories in and calories out. Sometimes people eat too many or more commonly, too few calories.
  • veni84
    veni84 Posts: 29
    Options
    I gain about 5lbs during my period and when I was on birth control I gained almost 20lbs.
  • wish21
    wish21 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Well for me when I its about a week or 2 before my cycle starts the scale will go up. And I will feel bloated and things will be tighter, etc. But ponce it goes off its back to normal.

As for craving and hunger, its a rare occurance for me that I will get them.

I do not think that a period should have anything to do with you not losing tho.

For me I have been on the site since Sept. And the most I have lost is 2lbs untill now. I found what clicked for me and the scale stays going south. I work out 35 min a day,4 days of Ripped in 30, 2 Days cardio - 40min, and on Sunday I try to do I 10 minute trouble zone workout, but if I am tired I'll take a rest day. But the most that has really helped me is honest logging. I changed my weightloos goal to something reachable, instead of 2lbs a week, and I went to 1. I do not eat exercise cals back, only a personal preferance,. Oh and WATER, water has help me so much. I drink a lot of water now. Hope I helped:flowerforyou:
  • RainyDayKelli
    RainyDayKelli Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've been known to gain up to 10 lbs the day or two before my period starts (which of course, drops right off again, because it's all water).

As far as hunger goes, the couple of days before it starts, I am insatiable. I can NOT stop eating. I'm just starving the whole time. Then the next day I wake up and I'm fine.

As for birth control, I'm a married old fogey whose husband is fixed, so I luckily don't have to worry about that. Though, when I was young, being on the pill made me put on a few pounds.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I can carry around up to 6-7 lbs in water weight, unfortunately. I don't weigh the week of my period, but some do.

I had no weight effect positive or negative when I went on the pill, but I started it so long ago that I'm not sure I would have noticed. I'm curious to see if I lose weight when I go off of it. :) Just make sure you count everything, and when I'm feeling hormonal and having cravings I find a healthy way to indulge them. If I want chocolate I have it, I just don't have a whole bucket of ice cream. :)