So Confused!

Options
I am on week 3 of using mfp and keep reading on the message boards that 1200 calories is too low for most people. However, mfp is telling me 1200 so I am trying to keep to that. How can you possibly know what is right and what you should be consuming a day?

At 5'5", 150ish pounds, not working out, is 1200 too low?

I do intend to start working but just haven't got to that point yet!

Thoughts??

Replies

• grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Did you tell mfp that you want to lose 2 lbs a week? It's personal, but I prefer to eat more and I also think a slower loss is more likely to stick. So I plugged in 1 lb/week and get to eat more.
  • WonderKP
    WonderKP Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Okay well, to give you an idea,

I'm 5'2", 110ish lbs, and MFP told ME to eat 1200 net cals. You could probably eat more than that and still lose weight. The heavier/bigger a person is, the more calories you burn at rest.

Although I recently changed my goals, since I want to gain muscle weight so I'm eating around 1500 cals a day and body weight lifting every other day.
  • andreacord
    Options
    Did you tell mfp that you want to lose 2 lbs a week? It's personal, but I prefer to eat more and I also think a slower loss is more likely to stick. So I plugged in 1 lb/week and get to eat more.

I plugged in 1lb a week and it only gives me 100 calories more. :(
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    For every 1 lb/week weight loss, you must eat 500 calories a day less than your current requirement. So at 2 lbs a week, any calories requirements under 2200 will come out as 1200 calories goal (MFP won't let you go below that).

Unless there's some urgent medical issue, 2 lbs a week is pretty aggressive. I agree that 1 lb a week is usually a better strategy when you're trying to permanently change your lifestyle.
  • nichole2003
    Options
    By going to 1lb a week, it only gives me 200 more a day which still isn't a ton more. I guess I'll try to keep to 1200 but know that I can go over a bit and still be ok.
  • LibLiu82
    Options
    I think the problem with 1200 calories is getting all of your daily nutrients. If you are doing 1200 calories it will take a lot of effort to make sure you get in all of your daily requirements without going over your calorie intake. There is no room for any empty calories like sugar in a 1200 cal diet. I recommend doing a little exercise so you can get a few more calories in to make sure you get your nutrients. And really, exercise is the key to good health more than weight. For a little brain food, check out this article ... http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18594089/ns/health-fitness/t/thin-people-can-be-fat-inside/
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    5'4", 138 lbs. I eat 1440 per day. Make sure you measure everything accurately and log everything. Make sure everything is entered correctly (lifestyle, goals-- .5 per week is good if you're only losing 12 lbs), and then give it a month before you decide it isn't working. Unless you're hungry of course; if you're hungry you should increase your calories by small amounts (100 cals at a time or so) until you find a good spot and make sure you're getting enough protein/good fat to keep you full.
  • CalorieArson
    CalorieArson Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about calories taken in and calories burned. You burn calories by just being alive, but the more active you are, the more calories you can intake. If you want to eat more, you'll have to be more active. Take walks at lunch, use the stairs and not the escalator. You WILL lose weight if you keep a little active and eat less than 2000 calories. Its just a matter of how fast ;)
  • nichole2003
    Options
    Thanks for the input. Seeing I am at early stages of this, I am going to just see how things go. If I find myself really hungry, I will of course increase my calories. I also plan to start working out within the next week or so. I know that is really important so I am going to make a point of fitting it into my days.
  • MaureenWetzel
    Options
    I am 56 yrs, 5'4" and joined MFP weighing156 lbs, and about 3+ weeks ago...
    I have lost 1.5 lbs to date (Christmas and New Years was very challenging!)
    My goal weight is 132 lbs and I feel the 1200 calories (also alloted to me) is bang on, if I don't exercise (as my body requires 1200 per day just to stay alive.)
    Anything I do in a day other than sit "will" burn calories... I figure I am burning about an extra 600 a day with no deliberate exercise, but just daily routine... this will equal about 1 lb per week weight loss.
    My routine does not include an exercise regime; I get my exercise on a more sporatic and as-required/desired basis... doing regular, or fun activities that burn calories.
    I did go snow-shoeing last Sunday for 5 hrs "with a guide" and it was very, very strenuous (he made us work)... @ almost 2,000 cal burned.
    I have shoveled snow off my driveway 2x this week @ 200+ cal burned each time.
    I'm finding the 1200 allowed calories per day sufficient and filling, as long as I include a lot of raw (or cooked) veggies, some protiein and limit carbs (that eat up a lot of calories.) :happy:
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Good idea to just see how it goes for you, but if you decide to adjust to the 1lb/week setting, 200 more calories is nothing to sneeze at. That's more than half a meal!
  • delineated
    delineated Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The activity setting makes a big difference too.