lost 112 lbs then gained some from lifting and can't shake t

Options
About 8 weeks ago I joined a gym and started lifting regularly. I exercise 6 days a week 3 lifting 3 cardio, I have been eating well and my diary is open if you would like to see.

Last week a weighed myself and noticed an 8 lb gain. Since then I have dropped 2 lbs but that is it. I feel that I shouldn't feel bad about this, but I can't seem to shake the feeling of failure. I know its not true, I am doing so well. It just sucks to feel this way
These two pics of me are in 11/2011
height: 5'4, weight 172lbs
chest 38", 36D
waist 26"
hip 38
_DSC05191.jpg_DSC05231.jpg

these two pics were from today at the gym:
weight 178lbs
chest 37", still 36D band is a bit looser
waist 25"
hip 37"
IMG_16712.jpgIMG_1672small.jpg

When I started in 2010 I looked like this:
DSCN01241.jpg

Your encouragement is greatly appreciated :flowerforyou:

Edited to add:
I know I weigh a lot, I have a very large frame size and a 24% body fat. My Doc no longer wants me to work on losing weight, just maintaining, toning and gaining muscle mass.
I wear a size 8 dress too, that will help so that I don't get a lot of people focusing on my weight.

Replies

• statikdog
    statikdog Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You're kicking *kitten*, just please keep doing what ur doing.
  • greg331
    greg331 Posts: 38
    Options
    Hey - come on! I know for a fact when I start weight training I'm in for at least 10 pounds. Kinda why I don't want to start...have you had your body fat measured? That's the real indicator and I would strongly suggest you try it...if you can afford it, there are more advanced ways than the standard caliper. Just google methods to measure body fat...there are very accurate ways...maybe try it every couple of months to see how it correlates with you weight...also don't forget that water plays a big role...on water alone (hydration and dehydration) I've moved 4 pounds in either direction, especially if alcohol is involved. And I know with woman, it's a big factor...
  • SparksFly460
    Options
    AWE Tea you are doing ABSOLUTELY amazing! I know it's easier said than done to remind yourself that your body is going through a lot of changes.

Try and focus on the measurements rather than the scale. A lot of of have this love-hate with the scale...it often contradicts our progress (as in your case) or propels our motivation. It seems to set our mood & our outlook. Measurement, not the scale :-) Hang in there and keep keeping @ss! You are absolutely awesome!
  • Shannonigans84
    Shannonigans84 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    You look great! Just curious how you got the base of 2040 calories? Were you eating that prior and maintaining/losing weight? All I can think of is reevaluating the numbers. Keep up the great work!
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    ty very much for your positive feed back I really need to hear it.
    and @ shannon_2003 the 2040 are my maintenance cals, my Doc doesn't want me to lose any more just maintain and work on building muscle mass for now. I know I weigh a lot, I have a very large frame size and a 24% body fat.
    I wear a size 8 dress too, that will help so that I don't get a lot of people focusing on my weight. :flowerforyou:
  • christ4life63
    christ4life63 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    woman even your before picture you didnt look bad.:smile: Im so proud of you:flowerforyou: . You did so good and your doing good.:happy:
    but I know by lifting weights you do gain muscle and muscle are calories.
    You look GREAT, keep up the good work:drinker:

Have a Bless evening:happy:
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Besides gaining new muscle, muscle also allows for the storage of more glycogen.

And for each gram of glycogen, is 2.7 g of water.

So if there have been times you are glucose low (and you exercise for so long multiple days in a row, you must be), and recently had enough time to restore some of those, more weight.

Plus the long cardio sessions train the muscle to store even more glucose.

So weight gain from several different areas.

More muscle.
    More glycogen would be in that muscle, with extra water too.
    Your long cardio sessions may have kept you at a low carb storage level, and you have had a chance to restore those levels to the top.
    And because of your trained muscles, your top is now higher.

So you can kind of say this is water weight, but not the kind that is going to go away. It's the great benefit of having more muscle great at doing extended cardio.

Now get out there and do that half-ironman triathlon!
  • Run4iiiiiit
    Run4iiiiiit Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You look 112 times better than 2010!
  • wigglelee
    wigglelee Posts: 491
    Options
    dont be so hard on yourself Tea, LOOK HOW FAR YOU COME SO FAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! many would change place with you in a heart beat,,lol you look amazing, and you should be so proud of where you are!!!! xox
  • deninevi
    deninevi Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    You look amazing! Don't let 5 lbs. bring you down! You are doing great job! Look at the inches you have lost, and I bet body fat, since you have started weight training. I think that is more important than the 5 lbs. weight increase on the scale. You should throw away the scale and just go by how you feel, how your clothes feel and the body fat and inches you are loosing. You are a strong woman, don't let the scale control you!
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I wear a size 8 dress too, that will help so that I don't get a lot of people focusing on my weight. :flowerforyou:

Seriously - get over that. We're all different with different body compositions. You don't have to weigh 112 pounds to look and feel great (by the way you do look great). Stop judging yourself because you don't fit in the weight box you think you should and be happy that you get to rock some weight. If it helps, I was determined to weigh 150 because I had decided that no woman should weigh more than 150. When I objectively looked at pictures of me at 160, I found out is I look very sick at 165 or less. My best weight is between 170 - 175, but I dont look so bad at 180 either. I'm not bothered or upset at that number at all. It's mine and I love it!
  • kaybigs
    Options
    youre doing great!! if you wanna jumpstart some fat metabolism, try doing some sprints! just once of twice a week go for 6 to 8 full 30 seconds sprints with maybe 20 to 30 second break in between. really jumpstarts my metabolism when im in a bit of a plateau. good luck!!
  • awdhemi
    awdhemi Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    You look AMAZINGGGGGG!! I think we are always hardest on ourselves! I swear I still look in the mirror and see differently than what others see. Keep up the good work :)
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling LOL.

Since I started weight lifting 5 months ago......well let just say that the scale is not my best friend. On paper, I lost a big 2 pounds since starting strenght training.....but in the same time I went from a size 6 to a tight size 2. I also gained alot of strenght.

Trust your mirror and forget the scale.
  • teagin2002
    Options
    youre doing great!! if you wanna jumpstart some fat metabolism, try doing some sprints! just once of twice a week go for 6 to 8 full 30 seconds sprints with maybe 20 to 30 second break in between. really jumpstarts my metabolism when im in a bit of a plateau. good luck!!

ty for the tip, I have been reading up on HIIT and planning in to my workouts, if you have any others I would welcome them with open arms :bigsmile:

I also wanted to say ty very much for taking the time to be so kind :flowerforyou: you all ROCK!!!
  • teagin2002
    Options
    trying to wake this thread up again, damn it live!!!
  • kel7298
    kel7298 Posts: 1,542 Member
    Options
    Definition of failure: Failure refers to the state or condition of not meeting a desirable or intended objective, and may be viewed as the opposite of success. This does not apply to you and you know it! You wrote the stats down yourself. You have lost inches and toned up. Head & chin up Missy. You are strong, beautiful and anything but a failure!