Challenge: Convenience store food

Options
So, you're on the way to work... or it's lunch and you didn't bring something... or you're on a road trip... and you find yourself in a convenience store and need to eat. What's the healthiest meal you can make from a convenience store?

Replies

• adamlwvdc36
    Options
    Do this every morning.. Cupcakes, coke, and beef jerky! j/k the gas station I go to has fresh fruit, so I go for a banana and milk... but usually I eat breakfast at home
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Do this every morning.. Cupcakes, coke, and beef jerky! j/k the gas station I go to has fresh fruit, so I go for a banana and milk... but usually I eat breakfast at home

Beef jerky actually isn't bad besides the sodium. High protein and low fat. However not really applicable to those Slim Jims.
  • Akijade
    Akijade Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Fruit and water, and maybe some mixed nuts.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Sounds like the beginning of a reality show. . .

Umm I guess if they had fruit I'd go for that. Definitely a bottle of water or juice. If there's no fruit (often the case in my area) nuts (preferably unsalted) and maybe jerky, depending on sodium content.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Fruit, cheese, nuts, yoghurt, pack of rice cakes and a tin of sardines, sliced ham, cooked chicken portion
  • nicokestew
    Options
    Cliff bar!! I do it all the time. :)
  • MlleDee
    MlleDee Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    As a professional student, I have lots of experience picking lunch out of junk.

Favorites:
    protein/milk drink and a banana

tube of nuts and water

rice krispy treat and coffee

egg and cheese breakfast taco (avoid the meats, and the potato if they're fried)

Prepackaged cheese and baked chips

Prepacked hard boiled eggs (check the expire date, some place these are way old!)

Pop-top can of Tuna, with salt/pepper and pickle relish from hotdog station

- I also like to go "cheat" at convenience stores. Since most of their portions are single serving, and you can usually find smaller portions than you could buy at the grocery store. If I just HAVE to have a twinke, I would rather buy 1, than end up with a box of 10.

Good luck!
  • siouxperwoman
    Options
    What I usually get: water, special K bar (usually in the candy bar section), fruit, string cheese (in the fridge), little cup of cereal (usually way over priced of course), yogurt, prepared salad/sandwich, tortilla chips and salsa, small bag of pretzels.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?section=news/food_coach&id=8379466

this gives you some "meal" ideas.

- But if you want to know how to survive the movie theater, you're out of luck.
  • sambo155
    Options
    Awesome ideas! You guys have some fancy convenience stores, tho! Sometimes I'll need to grab a snack between classes and there's an old, country convenience store right beside campus. I got a Kashi bar last week, which was pretty good. Got a bag of trail mix one day that was yummy and not too bad. I was just looking for some ideas of other things I hadn't thought about! Thanks!
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'd get a pack of peanuts, an apple, and a cheese stick.