Thinking Of Trying Quorn ...

Options
lh12xx
lh12xx Posts: 111 Member
I fancy making chilli this weekend, and I was reccommended to try Quorn mince instead of normal beef mince. Apparently it tastes near enough the same. Is this true? Also, whats the texture like? Asda's extra lean mince has 123kcal per 100g and Quorn has 103kcal per 100g so its not a HUGE difference, but is it worth a try?

Replies

• scinamon1
    scinamon1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think it tastes like regular mince (although can't really remember what real is like) and my housemates, who eat mince all the time, think they wouldn't tell the difference if someone gave it to them and told them it was ordinary. I think it's tasty, but people have a bad idea of it and look for the negatives when they try it. It deffinately worth a go!
  • carrieann1967
    carrieann1967 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The fat content is supposed to be a lot lower than real mince.

I'm eating less meat these days as we've all gone off it. So we are eating a lot more quorn products. Some are higher calories than others so you have to be careful. The meatballs are nice with pasta, pesto and roast meditteranian veggies.
  • michellelfblm
    Options
    I had some the other day in nachos. I'm a vegetarian but my meat eating family liked it just as much as meat :)

Very similar texture to beef mince and has a nice flavour.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I use Quorn quite a lot.

All their products taste pretty much like what they are supposed to be. The texture of the mince is just like real mince. The only one that has a slightly different texture is the Chicken style fillets. They feel a bit like rubber in comparison to real chicken (still tastes good though).

I would say try it.
  • sshetland
    sshetland Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I love Quorn mince - with the right selection of seasoning it's delicious and indeed much lower fat than real mince. You should definitely give it a try - if you don't like it, you don't have to buy it again.
  • lovemydrmartens
    lovemydrmartens Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I don't eat meat so my Husband (who does most of the cooking) uses this alot, he does eat meat but likes quorn too... it's particularly good in curries and chillis because it absorbs flavours really well... and MUCH nicer than soya, which takes work to make taste good!
    he does a briliant rogan josh with it.. yum!
  • aaleigha1
    aaleigha1 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    I use quorn products regularly
    this week I have made a chilli
    I am vegetarian and Dh is not - using quorn means we can both eat the same meal

my dh says that many of the quorn products are acceptable but they dont taste just like meat apparently they dont have the richness

all I can say is try it -

I did make a quorn lasagne a while back and made one for my DD and I made a meat one for her BF he ate hers and thought it was lovely - so Gav couldnt tell the difference
  • Kaholliday84
    Kaholliday84 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have tried Quorn mince on quite a few occasions...i cant really taste the difference. It is lower in calories, lower in fat but just as filling and just as tasty. Im experimenting with different quorn products and comparing them to the "real" thing. Today its gonna be the quorn garlic and herb fillet....:smile:
  • CatClark
    CatClark Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It's great stuff - far less fat than the real thing and brilliant for making chili, the recipe I make is my boyfriend's favorite meal :)

Hope you enjoy it!
  • berlewis
    Options
    i love quorn i think that it taste's like the real stuff and is often cheaper that meat plus. My dad who is a avid meat eater and usually turns his nose up at meat alternative loves their steaks. BTW im not vegetarian.
  • Sianarella
    Options
    I love Quorn, its worth trying. The steaks are really good as are the fajita chunks.
  • purplepollypops
    purplepollypops Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I like quorn but prefer real meat! There is a different taste and texture but it's all down to personal taste really. All you can do is try it and see!
  • Fattack
    Fattack Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    The fat content in quorn will be a lot lower than that in even the lean meat though.

I used to cook a fair amount with quorn in chilli when I lived in the UK, it worked out great! I wouldn't advise it in bolognese though, simply because so much of the flavour associated with bolognese is due to the meat.
  • fimary
    fimary Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    quorn mince is great, and had a couple of their ready meals for days in a rush and they are super as well, not so keen on the chicken fillets, they are rubbery and a bit tasteless but the mince is super to make chilli.
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I'm a meat eater but I buy Quorn because I like it.

It doesn't taste the same as mince meat, it tastes different but not in a bad way. Different isn't always better or worse, sometimes it's just different.
  • Danidelion
    Options
    I absolutely love Quorn products! My boyfriend's a vegetarian and i'm a meat eater, and yet sometimes I actually think I prefer the Quorn products to actual meat lol.
  • lookfierce
    Options
    Tastes like crap to me.

Much prefer lean steak mince, it's often cheaper, far far tastier, natural and for my dietary needs it's more healthy anyway.
  • start121
    start121 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    For me I prefer to eat less processed foods, so wouldn't use quorn (although years ago I used it). Another healthy option to try is turkey mince - less processed, but still really good protein etc.
  • EmBlazes
    EmBlazes Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Hi

I ate quorn for about a year while I was veggie. My husband always claimed he could tell the difference. I did notice that the sauce with quorn chilli tended to be more watery and didn't thicken as well. Quorn mince doesn't actually taste of much at all but it's a good alternative if you want to cut down on meat. Personally I don't eat it anymore because I prefer the real thing but it's very easy to cook from frozen which I did find very convenient when I wanted a quick meal after work.
  • purplebabe2025
    purplebabe2025 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    O lord. Yesterday I made quorn with kidney beans. LOVELY and good protein.
    You have to really season it as it doesn't have alot of flavour but it's a good all rounder!