carrot cake

Options
fionarama
fionarama Posts: 788 Member
my sister in law sent me this recipe for carrot cake. BEcause my husband was reminiscing about it with her (MIL's recipe). I have never baked a cake in my life, being a bit busy working etc I can't believe it. Do people really eat this kind of stuff on a regular basis? Ingredients include 2 cups brown sugar (I think they are in camp if its brown sugar, its somehow better for you. Its still sugar!!!!) , and 1 whole cup of oil. Any old oil by the sounds of things. Gross!!!! I don't think I'll ever eat cake again!!!!
rather annoyed, rather sexist of her (why didn't she send the recipe to my husband for him to bake it?!!!) but shocked at the ingredients. To think mothers bake this stuff thinking they are doing their family a favour!!!
anyway guess I'll make it for him for a birthday treat with strict proviso its a oncer!
The only baking I am doing right now is Jamie Eason recipes and he is loving it.
sorry for the rant I am actually fuming at the whole thing. I told her I was doing Live Fit she knows I work and don't do baking kind of stuff!!!

Replies

• paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    my sister in law sent me this recipe for carrot cake. BEcause my husband was reminiscing about it with her (MIL's recipe). I have never baked a cake in my life, being a bit busy working etc I can't believe it. Do people really eat this kind of stuff on a regular basis? Ingredients include 2 cups brown sugar (I think they are in camp if its brown sugar, its somehow better for you. Its still sugar!!!!) , and 1 whole cup of oil. Any old oil by the sounds of things. Gross!!!! I don't think I'll ever eat cake again!!!!
    rather annoyed, rather sexist of her (why didn't she send the recipe to my husband for him to bake it?!!!) but shocked at the ingredients. To think mothers bake this stuff thinking they are doing their family a favour!!!
    anyway guess I'll make it for him for a birthday treat with strict proviso its a oncer!
    The only baking I am doing right now is Jamie Eason recipes and he is loving it.
    sorry for the rant I am actually fuming at the whole thing. I told her I was doing Live Fit she knows I work and don't do baking kind of stuff!!!

Find a healthier recipe yourself, you don't *have* to use the one she sent you.
    I don't get why you're so wound up about someone sending you a recipe, you don't have to bake a cake if you don't want to, hell, you can get carrot cake from the shop.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    My MIL is the same way. She knows we are very conscientious about what we eat and she will make cake with all that stuff and the cake really isn't all that good. We just don't eat it. I think she is getting the hint. You can always substitute some of the oil with applesauce. There are a few things you can do to tweak it, but sometimes you're just better off making it the way it is. There are definitely cleaner versions out there. Best of luck.
  • GretaJane
    GretaJane Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hey - Just saw this post and I do love carrot cake so I had to read it. I can see your frustration, but maybe your SIL was just trying to be kind. Most conventional recipies are loaded with fat and sugar. If you're gonna make a carrot cake, try this one it's fat free and vegan, and I bet they wouldn't even notice the difference if you made it:

Ingredients:

2 cups grated carrots
    1 1/2 cups raisins
    2 cups water
    1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1 1/2 tsp allspice
    1/2 tsp cloves
    1 cup sugar (can be brown or raw if you like. It's still cake! :)
    1/2 tsp salt
    3 cups flour
    1 1/2 tsp baking soda
    1 cup soy milk

Preparation:
    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a medium sized saucepan, gently simmer the carrots, raisins, water, and spices for 8-10 minutes. Add the sugar and salt and allow to cook for 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool completely.
    In a large bowl, combine the flour and baking soda. Add the carrot mixture, along with the soy milk, and combine just until mixed.
    Lightly grease a 9x9 inch baking pan and pour in the batter. Bake for 1 hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Tofu Frosting Recipe:

21 ozs silken tofu (mori-nu firm)
    1 tbsp agave nectar
    12 cup sugar (powdered confectioners)
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    1 tsp almond extract (optional)
    12 tsp salt

I couldn't find the exact recipe but my mum once made a tofu frosting for carrot cake and it was amazing! If your wary of the tofu, it's ok, but I would say it's worth a try and you can serve your husband tofu without him knowing it! (If you have leftover silken tofu it's great in smoothies with banana.)

I know you said you're very busy and don't do a lot of baking, but thought this might be a fun way to compromise, with a healthy version. :)
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    you have to try this it is absolutely awesome...

Super Moist Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
    Gina's Weight Watcher Recipes
    Servings: 16 • Serving Size: 1 slice • Old Points: 7 pts • Points+: 7 pts
    Calories: 301.1 • Fat: 8.1g • Protein: 4.4 g • Carb: 38.2 g • Fiber: 0.4 g

Ingredients:
    3/4 cup all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup whole wheat flour
    1 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
    2 tsp baking soda
    1 tsp salt
    2 tsp ground cinnamon
    2 tbsp canola oil
    2 large eggs
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla
    2 cups grated carrots, peeled
    20 oz. can crushed pineapple in juice, drained
    1/4 cup chopped walnuts plus 1/4 cup for topping
    For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
    8 oz 1/3 fat Philadelphia Cream Cheese
    1 cup powdered sugar
    1 tsp vanilla extract

Ingredients:

Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, coconut, baking soda, salt, and spices; stir well with a whisk.

In a medium bowl, combine oil, eggs, and vanilla; stir well. Add grated carrots and pineapple; mix well. Fold wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, batter will be stiff and dry but keep folding it and it will all come together. Fold in 1/4 cup chopped nuts.

Spoon batter into an 8" x 3" cake pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for about 40-50 minutes, depending on pan size or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and cake is pulling away from sides of pan. Cool cake completely on a wire rack.

To prepare frosting, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread frosting over top of cake. Garnish with remaining chopped walnuts.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    Dang! I was hoping this was a recipe. My grandmother used to bake like that and I would love to have some of her recipes to use for special occassions. I really think your SIL meant well. Yes, the older generation cooked and baked without concern for health. That is a given fact. But one of my favorite things to do is to make recipes healthier. I don't think you should be upset because your SIL wanted to share a family recipe with you, even if it isn't something you would bake or eat regularly.
  • fionarama
    Options
    yes but if my husband was talking to her about the cake why didn't she send HIM the recipe. Thats the part that makes me fume!!!!! its like good wifey, bake a cake for your husband. But I work full time too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    yes but if my husband was talking to her about the cake why didn't she send HIM the recipe. Thats the part that makes me fume!!!!! its like good wifey, bake a cake for your husband. But I work full time too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! rrrhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

I don't think she really meant it like that. He probably asked her to email it to you.
  • TinaSos
    Options
    need to try this
  • nuviag
    nuviag Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    i'm glad sweets are not my down fall

thats all
  • fionarama
    Options

I don't think she really meant it like that. He probably asked her to email it to you.

that would be worse! like I haven't got enough to do!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why wouldn't he ask her to email it to him! I know she meant it kindly shes nice, its just the 1950's housewife thing I can't stand about it!
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options

that would be worse! like I haven't got enough to do!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why wouldn't he ask her to email it to him! I know she meant it kindly shes nice, its just the 1950's housewife thing I can't stand about it!

She obviously meant it as a good gesture & you need to DE-stress, geeez.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Isn't carrot cake a vegetable? I don't know why you have anything against eating vegetables on a regular basis.

;-)

And if you don't want to make it, don't. No reason to be angry and offended.
  • katt0628
    katt0628 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Bump for the recipes
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    When my MIL gives me a recipe, I don't take it as she's trying to keep me in the kitchen. She's sharing things with me that she used to make for my DH when he was a kid and that I might like to have for my/our collection of recipes. She knows we're both equally capable in the kitchen (or INcapable, as the case may be!)

DH and I both work, she knows we're eating healthy, but she does it anyway. Because that's what she does. It's not malicious or anything like that, she just likes to share recipes.