Logging walking during work

Options
00Angela00
00Angela00 Posts: 1,077 Member
So today I am rooming at work just for today (I work at a hospital). I am pretty much walking back and forth all day long (for 8 hours) and sit down every once in a while. How should I log this? I probably walk at a 3.0 pace with patients and 3.5 on my way back to my desk. Because I sit when we get in the rooms and back to me desk I don't want to over calculate how many calories I'm burning. Recommendations?

Replies

• sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Is this regular work for you? What did you set up as your activity level? If you put sedetary (sitting most of the day) then you could use this....but if you put active or lightly active. MFP is already calculating your stuff in there.....so check that.:flowerforyou:
  • nurseannie
    nurseannie Posts: 21
    Options
    I do the same thing, except I work in a clinic. I don't sit down except during lunch most days. I have wondered the same thing. Please advise how to log this.
  • soon2bemrsott
    Options
    I don't know that you really should count that. It doesn't seem that you are spending enough time actually walking to speed your heart rate, with all of those sitting breaks in there. Do you feel your heart pumping any faster after you have walked to the patient room or your desk? Are you sweating at all? Of course every little bit counts, but its not really a workout. I wouldn't count doing dishes or mopping the floors, even though I am moving, it is not consistent enough to move my heart rate...
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    Is this regular work for you? What did you set up as your activity level? If you put sedetary (sitting most of the day) then you could use this....but if you put active or lightly active. MFP is already calculating your stuff in there.....so check that.:flowerforyou:

My usual job is back office which is mostly sitting so I put my activity level as sedetary. This is an out of the usual day
  • 00Angela00
    Options
    I don't know that you really should count that. It doesn't seem that you are spending enough time actually walking to speed your heart rate, with all of those sitting breaks in there. Do you feel your heart pumping any faster after you have walked to the patient room or your desk? Are you sweating at all? Of course every little bit counts, but its not really a workout. I wouldn't count doing dishes or mopping the floors, even though I am moving, it is not consistent enough to move my heart rate...

I definately feel myself getting warm when I've had a busy spurt. I literally sit for less than a minute and then I'm walking again. Even if I'm not breaking a sweat I'm sure I'm burning calories. Should I log it under a slow walk for a very short amount of time?
  • skinnywilomeena
    Options
    im a nurse too, but do home care..i actually wear a pedometer, it will tell you the distance you have walked then a track it under cardio/aerobic with my shift time whether its 5 miles over 8 hours etc..
  • soon2bemrsott
    Options

I definately feel myself getting warm when I've had a busy spurt. I literally sit for less than a minute and then I'm walking again. Even if I'm not breaking a sweat I'm sure I'm burning calories. Should I log it under a slow walk for a very short amount of time?

Ok, then average out about how much time you do sit, and how often, then subtract that from the 8 hours. Say, if you sit for 2 minutes every 30, then that is almost only 20 minutes sitting out of the 8 hours...
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    Personally, when I have those days, I take it as extra workout. I eat a little extra if I am hungry but other than that I don't worry about it. I don't log it as anything and I still will do my normal workout as scheduled.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Personally, when I have those days, I take it as extra workout. I eat a little extra if I am hungry but other than that I don't worry about it. I don't log it as anything and I still will do my normal workout as scheduled.

I would say this is the best bet......bonus cals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Eat more if you are hungry...just be lite.