Question for ladies

Options
Hi Ladies,

Why is it that when it is right before my TOM I feel that I can eat everything in the house? This helps every month.

Does this happen to anyone else? What do you do when you have these cravings?

Replies

• boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    All I can think of its due to the hormones. I am the same way. Usually, I eat more.
  • kristyhooker
    Options
    YES! Don't cave in, but dont deprive yourself either! Everything in moderation.... I know its hard! Keep logging your food intake so you know what your eating, and work out, if your lucky it will help keep you on track....
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Yep...same here.
  • mgero212
    Options
    I think it happens to most of us and all you can is just work it off somehow.
  • cherib11
    Options
    I am the same way! I just started my new lifestyle diet......I hate the DIET word, so new lifestyle sounds better! When I get that way every month....I am going to try to eat tons of veggies instead of everything else I want.:happy: :happy:
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    YES! I also crave very salty stuff as well. I feel I usually end up working out more that week in order to give in to some cravings. The next week all I want is chocolate!! Really I get 2 good weeks a month! :P
  • michellelay
    Options
    I am the same way! I just started my new lifestyle diet......I hate the DIET word, so new lifestyle sounds better! When I get that way every month....I am going to try to eat tons of veggies instead of everything else I want.:happy: :happy:

That is a great idea. I hate this time because I feel like I can eat and eat and eat LOL
  • pompeyqueen
    pompeyqueen Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Grrrrr yes i get that soooo bad, I just can't stop but I am trying to do a bit of what i like in moderation now, I also found that drinking lots helps :ohwell:
  • courtney131
    Options
    I'm the exact same way, and I have no idea how to stop it haha
  • DeniseAS
    Options
    I think it's like that for every woman. It is hard to control. I get the same way.
  • theoneandonlybrookie
    Options
    I don't know but I hope someone posts a medical explanation of this so I can feel better about it!

I do know that part of it for me is that I am an emotional eater, and boy am I ever emotional while I'm pmsing.
  • BoxingChick
    BoxingChick Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Grrrrr yes i get that soooo bad, I just can't stop but I am trying to do a bit of what i like in moderation now, I also found that drinking lots helps :ohwell:

haha....yes I get drunk too and beat up everyone that looks at me....haha kidding. I know you mean water..lol
  • Alex_on_the_Rocks
    Options
    I've discovered that Tootsie Rolls work really well for my chocolate cravings. They are chewy so you've gotta work at them a bit (tricking yourself into thinking that you're eating more). And are fairly low cal.

I'm still trying to work out the salty cravings. This month it was tortilla chips (rather than potato chips) and I've done okay with those.
    It helps that I have a 2 year-old that insists on "helping" me with snacks! So I dish out a serving and lose about a quarter of it to him! lol
  • Alex_on_the_Rocks
    Options

haha....yes I get drunk too and beat up everyone that looks at me....haha kidding. I know you mean water..lol

Keeping my bottle of water in hand at all times when I have the strong urge to munch (but don't want to lose any more valuable calories to cravings) seems to really help, too. I used to mindlessly munch while on the computer or watching movies, I've taken advantage of that bad habit, but instead of munching I drink. I mindlessly drank 3 bottles of water one day in no time at all!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    This is a great article that will help explain how our body prepares for our menstrual cycle by burning more calories. Most women experience the increased hunger about a week before their friend comes to visit...lol

http://www.livestrong.com/article/295115-calories-burned-while-on-your-period/

P.S. With the increased cravings I just keep lots of veggies handy to snack on like carrots, cut up peppers, and celery. Also, drink LOTS of water.
  • aiwich
    aiwich Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    same here.... i try to log everything so i see how much it was and it holds me back.
  • stylistchik
    stylistchik Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Yes it does, and I eat. After I start I lose my appetite for a few days so I think it's my body's way of preparing. I try to listen to my body and eat when I'm hungry, sure it puts me over my cals for a few days but I've yet to gain any significant weight from it.
  • woodmetal
    Options
    I know it is hormonal to a point but... A lot of what you eat and choices may be more from the emotional feelings than true calorie need. Emotional eating is a tough habit to conquer.
  • misscase
    Options
    I seriously thought I was the ONLY person who got like this! During mine I feel ravenous at all times! It has calmed down a bit since I've lost some weight but still- it's like I cannot control it.
  • rebyekah
    Options
    I usually just give myself a break a few days before (when I really crave extra calories), like letting myself go over my calorie goal by 100-200 calories. I'm still at a deficit, but just slower weight loss. It keeps me from bingeing.

Here is a link to a weight watchers article about this (apparently your metabolism does rise slightly during those days so if the extra calories are minimal it's balanced out):

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=42321&sc=801