Kinda confused...about what/when to eat

Options
before working out. I've read soooo many conflicting things. Some say dont' eat a meal for at least 3 hrs before a workout but a 'light easy digestible' snack is ok if its 1hr or more before your workout. I was always eating before my workouts. And after...

I'm just so overwhelmed with all of this information. What does everyone else normally do? If I'm going to workout first thing in the morning should I wait to eat till I'm finished? If so, do I eat more protein than carbs?

All of this is sooo confusing to me :huh:

Replies

• girltrumpeter85
    Options
    Make sure you eat before you work out in the morning - I fell on a treadmill from wooziness last time I decided not to eat before a workout.

I'm trying to get into the habit of eating every 3 hours, and so far, it is doing well for me. Just small meals, every 3 hours. I actually work out right after or between my 3 hour 'meal snack' things.

I'd say, just do what works best for you!
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    It's just a matter of trial and error...what works for some doesn't always work for everyone!
  • Sebidian
    Sebidian Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I agree that eating light every 3 hours or so is the best policy, then you will never be too full to exercise and will still have the energy you need for a good workout.

I have read that if you are planning a larger or simple carb meal, it is best to eat this 1-2 hours after a cardio workout, since the body can better process the carbs.

I have also read that after a strength training workout, you should eat protein pretty soon after, for muscle building.
  • MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Really, you need to find out what works best for you and do that! Some eat 1/2 a banana on the way downstairs to work out, some eat 1.5 - 2 hrs before, some, like me, can't eat before they workout for various reasons. You should have a healthy carb/protein mix meal within 30 - 60 mins after you workout to refuel the muscles and provide nutrients for healing. :flowerforyou:
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I don't follow any hard rule about this. I just eat when i'm hungry. I exercise at lunchtime and if i'm hungry, i'll eat before i exercise. If i'm not too hungry, i'll just have a snack.

I don't like to make myself crazy with too many rules and restrictions.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    I agree with finding out what works for you. I personally have some protein and fiber before working out and alot of water and I also have a snack RIGHT after a work out, otherwise I poop out before I can get the workout in.........:flowerforyou:
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    ... never be too full to exercise and will still have the energy you need for a good workout.

I disagree with this. I have had heavy meals the night before that made me too full to workout and I get sick to my stomach on a run.

You do have to figure out what to eat and when. My husband can't eat anything up to an hour before a hard workout. I can eat a breakfast burrito and do a 3 mile run. It depends on your body type.

It is critical to eat right after a workout. That is where you will get the best recovery. Something rich in proteins to repair the muscles.

Hope this helps.
  • kbehrends
    kbehrends Posts: 12
    Options
    This all confuses me as well! If you workout at a gym, I would ask a trainer there what they might recommend. Otherwise, your body will probably tell you what you need. I found out if I don't eat something small before I workout, I start to feel really sick after my workout. Good luck:wink:
  • Kidvicious28
    Kidvicious28 Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I agree, you need to figured what's best for you.

For me... I took advice from a fellow MFPer. I eat 5 "meals" a day...basically 3 hours apart. I spread out my cals equally too. I also eat carbs/fat free foods for my first meal and then I wait 30-40 mins and go to the gym. Then, for my 2nd meal (3ish hours later) I eat high protein/low to no carbs...and then I keep alternating meals so fat and carbs aren't together (carbs/fat free and the high protein/low to no carbs back and forth)
    It's helped A LOT with my plateau.