Is running good for heavy people? I am 211lbs

Options
I need to add, that I am 33 and occasionally feel my knee joint, and started feeling it more tense after my latest trial to run (at 211lbs).
I had run before in my 20ties and never had problems, so did not care about the pressure to my knee joints etc…
Now I do care and I wonder whether the benefit of running outweighs possible harm to the knees..

Anyone with experience here? The internet has various opinions, one of them you should not run when over >200lbs, but I am not sure.
I also don’t want anyone to view this as a my excuse to exercise.

Thank you.

Replies

• mleoni092708
    mleoni092708 Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I could've wrote this! I'm 211 too and I have been wondering the same thing-I hope we get some great responses on the subject :)
  • hollin40
    hollin40 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I'd say with anything to start slowly. I am 209 and ran 1.5 miles yesterday with my Xbox fitness game and it hurt my hips. I am not a runner and am slowly starting to try to get out of my comfort level as far as exercise goes and try new things. I don't see myself being a runner per se but it is a great burn. No other advice but I'm sure others will have some great advice for you. Good luck!!
  • NightOwl1
    NightOwl1 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people here who have run at over 200 pounds and have found success doing it. I think the best idea is to check with your doctor first to make sure you're not at risk of any health problems from running.

I'd recommend trying C25K (www.c25k.com) as a way to ease yourself back into running. It's a program designed to help people who have never been able to run before move from being a couch potato to being able to run a 5k in 9 weeks. The reason why you may have aggravated your knee is because you didn't ease back in to running and went too hard for your first time back.
  • rlawrimore
    rlawrimore Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I am over 200lbs and run all the time, at least 4 times a week. Start out slow and you will see the benefits. Since I have lost over 50lbs, my knees do not hurt anymore when I jog.

Unless you really have a medical issue with your knees, you should be ok.

Again, start out slow. Another alternative is the eliptical if you have access to one.
  • shunhuggedme
    shunhuggedme Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've heard that it is not good - especially if you are running on concrete. You will be putting all your weight on one leg, and that's a lot of pressure.

I started at 213 when I began losing weight - I still struggle with running and I'm about 192 now. >.> Start with walking. Walking and jogging burn about the same amount of calories. Walk everywhere. Get a pedometer and walk a lot. When you build your cardio up, learn to breathe a little better, and are comfortable walking, increase to a light jog.

Jog for 20-30 seconds, then walk for a minute. Keep this up until those 20-30 seconds are easy, then slowly increase the time. This allows your legs time to adjust to the pressure, as you slowly build up muscle - and you'll learn to run safely, without causing too much stress to your joints all at once.
  • auticus
    auticus Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    Every person is different. Running is a stressful and actually violent sport for your body regardless of your weight.

That being said, I was 242 lbs and was running 3-4x a week 3 miles or so each time. I got up to 10 miles a run and dropped a lot of weight.

However I also developed some achilles heel issues and had a lower back issue with my sciatic nerve.

I would say with anything do what you can do, and know the difference between injury and pain. Pain is going to happen. Injury is serious. Find your threshold and then maintain that.

Best of luck.
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I would think that it depends on the person. I'm 231 and I used to run, but my left foot hurts too much. I use the elliptical and stationary bike and still get awesome burns.
  • jillyt85
    jillyt85 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I started off running 10 pounds heavier than you are now and I just took it very slow. I did C25K and did it at my own pace and made sure to jog slow and stretch all my muscles after my workout. Ive been doing it for 3 months now and I feel amazing. I still run slow but I'll eventually pick up the speed. I sleep great and my knees only start to hurt if I push myself too hard. Just remember to always stretch after your run.
  • amywhiteley85
    amywhiteley85 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Ditto the starting slowly thing. Before you run, you should warm up with stretches. Then when you start, you should start with a walk, then slowly increase your pace. If at any point your knee starts to hurt, then you need to stop.
  • rainbowbandit
    rainbowbandit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I am still over 200, but I waited until I lost 45 pounds to start running. I thought if I started at my heaviest weight it would be too hard on my joints. I am starting slow, with the end goal of running at least a mile.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    When i ran at 250 i was fine, it hurt, but no injury but i was playing soccer, and the stop and go beat my knees up badly. At 200 now i can run better, with less pain. But I don't. I dont perform extended cardio as it inhibits muscle gain and retention. I do on occassion do some HIIT, High Intensity Interval Training. An example would be sprinting hard as you can for 30 seconds, walk for a minute, repeat ten times. That's for me though.......good rule of thumb, if anything hurts when you do it IMMEDIATELY.........stop. Hurting the next day is ok.
  • lforster2
    Options
    I'm 207lbs, took it slow 3 weeks ago on Couch to 5k program. By the end of the second week I got unmanageable pain in both knees and the sides of my calves so I had to stop. I'm going to give it another when a) the pain goes away and b) when I'm less heavy. I'm thinking another 14lbs and I'll see how it goes.
  • Katiemarie4488
    Katiemarie4488 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I would look into knee support... either the Ace slip on braces, (black kinda stretchy things....) there is a band they sell that you can put right under your knee cap to stabolize it.... o
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I can run 3-4 miles straight, and I am 275lbs.. I ran a 5k with just over 10 min mile at 243.. you can do it, just start easy and build your way up.

Also buy a really good pair of running shoes, I spent a lot on mine but its a huge difference.
  • Jones4177
    Jones4177 Posts: 136
    Options
    Couch to 5K is a good starting point. I'm 229 and started running when I was 250. C25K starts you off slowly. It will probably still hurt at first but it does get better. I started out I couldn't run 1:30 without hurting or stopping. I now can run 45 min straight!!
  • SJKirk51912
    SJKirk51912 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I started running last March when I weighed 280. I have had knee problems before and actually have a bone tumor in my knee that is irritating. And some days while running my knees would be in a lot of pain, but I just pushed through and in the end they were definitely stronger. I ran a 5K in May and continued to run for a short time with no knee pain. I got down to 247. Then I stopped running and the weight has come back as well as the knee pain. So in my opinion the pain is more related to the weight than the running. And while my knees hurt some while I was in the process of running, in the end they ended up stronger.

Don't let anyone tell you you can't/shouldn't run because you weigh more than 200!
  • transfixedtoast
    transfixedtoast Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I've been very unfit and very weak, I'm not sure how you are but for me it was important to walk before I ran and not go too overboard. The risk of you hurt your knee then it could be a really big downer if it happened.
    I'd suggest trying to find ways to incorperate more walking into your every day routine and running when it's less risky for your knees.
  • shellygriffith
    Options
    I just started running and I am 168 lbs and after a few days, my knees and ankles hurt so bad I could hardly walk. After all the people that I have talked to and research that I have done, it really comes down to, talk to your doctor, get a GOOD pair of running shoes (Asics are #1 in running world magazine and most blogs that I pulled up)..and stretch really well before and after running. That makes a huge difference.
  • helloimkristin
    helloimkristin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm over 200 and I run 2-3x a week, alternating with the elliptical the other 5 days that I work out. At first it was difficult to get back into it, but slowly I am adjusting to running again and I'm finding it easier. I'm clearly not a doctor, so you should obviously consult with one to make sure but I'd say its fine. I do notice my knees are sore sometimes after a run but it goes away and I don't notice it anymore at all. The people on Biggest Loser are well over 200 and the trainers have them running, so I look at that for motivation. Of course, please consult with a doctor if you're having joint issues.
  • seehawkmomma
    Options
    Doctors say because of your knees you should not run if your are 200 plus but it would depend on your height as well. If your are taller I would say those 10 extra pounds would even it out compared to how you carry your weight if you were shorter.

I would say listen to your body. If you can run without it being painful do it. Otherwise maybe consider bike riding or other forms of exercise until you get under 200.