Trick for taking fish oil

Options
I was at an appt with my mom when her doctor told her she needed to take fish oil. She made a face because she had tried it before and said it made her have fishy burps all day, lol. He said she should freeze the pill and then take them just before a meal. With it frozen, he said it will wait until it passes through the stomach to fully dissolve and be absorbed, thereby bypassing the fishy burps. I've never taken fish oil (but plan to start, since he said it can help a lot with asthma) but I thought this might help someone else out there.

Replies

• MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I was at an appt with my mom when her doctor told her she needed to take fish oil. She made a face because she had tried it before and said it made her have fishy burps all day, lol. He said she should freeze the pill and then take them just before a meal. With it frozen, he said it will wait until it passes through the stomach to fully dissolve and be absorbed, thereby bypassing the fishy burps. I've never taken fish oil (but plan to start, since he said it can help a lot with asthma) but I thought this might help someone else out there.
    That's worth a try - HATE THAT FISH BURP!
  • helloimkristin
    helloimkristin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I refrigerate mine and take them with a meal. I never have any issues.
  • Alachofra15
    Alachofra15 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    FYI you can also get linseed oil in capsules which (as far as I know) have the same benefits - no burpy side affects!
  • BillNobles
    Options
    They also sell "Odorless" Fish Oil capsules. They have an enteric coating that doesn't break down until it passes out of your stomach. These eliminate the fish burps entirely.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,024 Member
    Options
    FYI you can also get linseed oil in capsules which (as far as I know) have the same benefits - no burpy side affects!
    Not quite, it's a different type of omega 3 to which the body doesn't metabolise very well. Linseed or flax seed consumption on the other hand has other benefits that fish oil doesn't, and I would recommend both for overall health.