Is running good for heavy people? I am 211lbs

Options

Replies

• cattracy0829
    cattracy0829 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    When I was over 200lbs, every time I started a running program, I would end up with an injury. Now that I have just gone under 190lbs, it is so much easier...I still have to walk/run...but I am not having the issues I had bafore and I am now training for a half-marathon. I would just recommend going slow and increasing as the weight goes down. Everyone is different, so just listen to your body. There are lots of ther cardio options to start with until you can run!
  • wvbuckeye
    Options
    This will be my first post so with that being said I am larger frame and have a long way to go. I LOVE to run, but when I got married I got lazy. My road is long and I attempted to start to run again. I ran a little more than a mile and the next day felt my knee throbbing. It took several days for the pain to go away. To me that says I personally need to lose the weight first. I keep thinking that I need to crawl before I walk. I am currently doing more elliptical and lower speed treadmill workouts than worrying about running. I think in the long run its best for you to take it slow and work your way up like NightOwl1 said. Whatever you decide GOODLUCK!!!
  • jillyt85
    jillyt85 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'd also like to add that doing strength training along with running is great. It helps your overall run and makes your bones stronger.
  • EricNCSU
    EricNCSU Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I've been "running" since 355, it's been my only cardio for a long time. I'm down to 280, and I'm still doing the training and a combination of run/walk intervals but it works just fine for me. I'm training for my first half marathon and working at distance only and not speed. so I am a slow runner and I don't care.

What do you mean by you "feel your knee joint"? Grinding? Pressure? Pain? My knees are messed up, and I have the occasional pain and tenderness but nothing really bad. Obviously if you are in agonizing pain I would suggest you stop.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Well, a friend of mine in her 40s started running last year at around 200 pounds and is doing great.

But if you're having knee pain you should see a doctor before you start running.
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    I am 39 and I started doing the c25k program at 215lbs. I have never been a runner before, so it's not like I had experience before. I would just listen to your body. Make sure you wear proper shoes. I go to a chiropractor pretty regularly, just for maintenance. I did have one issue with my knee. He adjusted it, told me to run on an incline, (I thought he was trying to kill me) and he told absolutely not to wear a brace. It actually worked, running on an incline felt better on my knee and I haven't had any problems since. It's been almost a year.

I am not trying to give medical advice, I know every body is different, but maybe you could check with your doctor to see what he says.

Best wishes and happy running.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    It's all genetics, I'm blessed with having good ankles, good knees , border-line high cholesterol and teeth that required a lot of dental work. Such is life.
  • hikingchick
    Options
    have you looked into the "couch to 5k running plan?" this free website has many helpful tips and will have you running 3 miles in a couple months. Its gradual and easy to follow. good luck!
  • IrishGuru25
    Options
    I recommend an elliptical if you have access to one. I am also just over 200lbs and I prefer the benefits of this machine over pounding my knees on concrete. Also, you can adjust programs, resistance, and degrees of height to challenge you as you continue to lose weight. Your body will thank you for it. =)
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I only run outside as I find dreadmills lifesucking and boring. I started at 400+ lbs.
    1) I did my research when it came to shoes.
    2) I started out slow. Jogged 15 seconds, walked 5 mins, repeat

Was it hard? yes
    Have I hurt myself, joints or otherwise? no. I was careful and go at my own pace.
    Was it worth it? to me it was
  • damifogg
    damifogg Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Not sure I've got a great response for you, but I got a response at least.

RUN JOHNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I was at 265lbs I ran a 10km race (not fast, but run them), and a few 5km races a few years back.

I'm back to the same weight, give or take the odd pound, and have just started the C25k thing. My knees are always a bit of a concern, but so far, because I've been building up slowly and allowing myself plenty of rest, it's been going fine. I'm up to week 5 now so running like 8 minutes each time. Nothing to be excited about, but I can do it comfortably and nothing is aching / breaking.

Not running over 200lbs is utter bollocks. Just don't expect to be doing any marathons anytime soon.
    Running at our weight is one of the best ways to burn calories, and yes it's high impact, but I'm sure someone smarter than me can explain why that's a very good thing to prevent osteoarthritis and all that.

My advice. Get out there and do it. Find a programme that is progressive and does the run/walk thing for several weeks. Let your body get used to it, and watch the weight fall off.

My 2 pence worth anyway.

Good luck! :-)
  • shellyb2017
    shellyb2017 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I weigh around 200 and run 3-4 times a week. I ran a half marathon in October 2011 - slowly. I am not a fast runner so I don't think the joint impact is as damaging. I've seen some people walk faster than I run :-)

My advice (for what it is worth) is to start out by walking, build up to being able to walk briskly, then walk/run - try Galloway's method. If you feel like running after you have conditioned your body, then I think you should do it!

Just like with dieting, running is something you condition your body to do little by little over time. I used to run marathons, but over the years my weight and lack of motivation has kept me from doing what I love. I am looking foward to losing weight and enjoying life again! I just joined Fitness Pal this week!

See you on the roads ...
  • lawson305
    lawson305 Posts: 103
    Options
    I weigh 248, and am starting the 8th week of C25K tomorrow. I have no joint pain or issues with stamina, and I think if it feels good, do it. C25K is a great way to start! Good luck
  • Stoicus
    Stoicus Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I started Couch to 5K when I was 200lbs+, I'm now 185. I started slow, in fact I'm still pretty slow but I am still overweight. I use a treadmill predominantly which is easier on the joints. I don't run outside at the moment, but I have run on concrete and I can tell you it really hurt after. I've read that a lot of overweight people start on treadmills or grass, and I can see why. If your knee hurts, you should get some advice from your doctor and look into some knee strengthening exercises. And if you want a virtual buddy to run with, feel free to add me :)
  • 6mimi
    6mimi Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I'm 207lbs, took it slow 3 weeks ago on Couch to 5k program. By the end of the second week I got unmanageable pain in both knees and the sides of my calves so I had to stop. I'm going to give it another when a) the pain goes away and b) when I'm less heavy. I'm thinking another 14lbs and I'll see how it goes.

That happened to me too. Running is really hard on the joints. I am not giving up on the running, but going to wait until I lose a little more weight and start again even slower. I read on one web site that most of the time people start a running program without building muscle in their legs first. I also think that it will vary from person to person just depending on their genetic leg/foot structure. I know my high arches cause me problems sometimes. I tend to do better on the elliptical and it is still a great burn.
  • Lorie66
    Lorie66 Posts: 66
    Options
    If you can walk 30 mins without effort start out walking 4 mins and running one untill you can graduate to walking 3 mins and running 2....and SLOWLY build your mileage ...this is how a coach teaches it....your weight will start to drop as you gradually build your mins as long as you are on a healthy eating plan....always go slow to prevent injury..if you start having pain stop and rest that day and if you are ready the next day with no pian start back.Listen to your body and you will be loosing weight and running in no time.. :)
  • Eaglesfanintn
    Eaglesfanintn Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I started running 18 months ago, at 279 lbs. I'm still over 200, but have run 3 marathons in that time.
    I will say that I'm lucky to not have major joint problems. I have suffered with some other problems - but nothing that other, thinner runners don't get - shin splints, IT band pain, etc.
    I started off slowly - my first run was about a mile and took me about 14 minutes. I added on time at first - about a minute every day and then 2 minutes on day 6 - took day 7 off. Then started at that time the next week. In a few weeks, I was running for 30 minutes. Then, I started to work on speed.
    Others have recommended C25K - I didn't use it, but know some people that did with really good results.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    you don't HAVE to run. but that's crazy someone recommended not doing it over 200lbs. I started "running" more like jogging since I started at 300lbs, on the treadmill. anyhow, just find something lower impact to do if it hurts. exercise should be effective, not painful
  • courtnasty55
    Options
    I started running at about 250 pounds (I think I was about 26-ish). At around 235 pounds, I ran my frist 5K, and then ran a 10K at around 195 pounds. So, the moral of the story is, it can be done! I lost a TON of weight running, but I also was careful to mix in some cross training every week as well, such as using the eliptical and another running-esque machine that's kinda like the gazelle that used to be advertised on TV.

There are many exercises you can do to increase the strength of your knees. I did have some knee pain during the time I was running, but it was almost never actually WHILE I was running. It was mostly after when I would go down stairs, or have to get up from a kneeling position. I just made sure to take ibuprophen when necessary, and ice and rest appropriately. (And also not do too much running, as I said, cross training with low-impact exercises was important for me!)

Now, I play roller derby, and my knees are in GREAT shape (knock on wood)! I have recently started running again, and I'm hoping to run a 5K in March! Good luck with your running endeavors!
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I was over 200lbs when I started running, I bought shoe inserts to help protect my knees. If you have issues with your joints the elliptical is a nice low impact alternative to running.