Is running good for heavy people? I am 211lbs

Options

Replies

• wisebadger53
    wisebadger53 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I do my running on the treadmill at the gym. When I was 286 lbs. I could not run for more than 30 seconds at a time with about 5 minutes moderate walking before I could run again. Now, at 239 I am able to run for 5 minutes at a time with about 2 - 3 minutes rapid (4 mph) walking in between. I have never experienced any knee pain while doing this, rather my leg muscles are the limiting factor. As I have continue working at this my muscles have become stronger allowing me to continuously increase the amount of time I am able to run, while decreasing the amount of recovery time. This systematic approach seems to make the most sense to me, and is obviously working in my case. BTW - I have the blessings of my doc to continue this program.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    This depends. If you're 211 and 6 ft., then running probably isn't at hard on the body compared to someone who's 5'1" at 211.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • amymlott
    amymlott Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    i would suggest you go read bendoeslife/ tumbler.com he is a great insperation and he started running just go read it from the begining it will really motivate you
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Its all about proper conditioning. I've been running since I was 275 and run almost every day now and Im currently 212. It really depends on the consistency and the level of endurance and conditioning you give your Whole body. Not just your leg muscles and lungs but also your joints.

I strongly encourage you to continue to pursue running as its a very satisfying pastime. Yes I said said pastime as in recreation not a work out. I'm a freak I love to run
  • n8vchick77
    n8vchick77 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I would suggest pace yourself and listen to your body. When I first tried running on a treadmill I was over 200lbs...I walk then do a spurt of running then walk again. If I couldn't breath or felt pain I walked. :)
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Take it a slow as you need to and go a few extra steps everyday!!! Keep in mind that us "Chunky" Runners wear out shoes FAST!!! Get a good pair, reserve them for your running only (don't wear them for just knocking around town) and buy new ones when they wear out!!!
  • lesle1
    lesle1 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I weigh around 200 and run 3-4 times a week. I ran a half marathon in October 2011 - slowly. I am not a fast runner so I don't think the joint impact is as damaging. I've seen some people walk faster than I run :-)

My advice (for what it is worth) is to start out by walking, build up to being able to walk briskly, then walk/run - try Galloway's method. If you feel like running after you have conditioned your body, then I think you should do it!

Just like with dieting, running is something you condition your body to do little by little over time. I used to run marathons, but over the years my weight and lack of motivation has kept me from doing what I love. I am looking foward to losing weight and enjoying life again! I just joined Fitness Pal this week!

See you on the roads ...

I started with walking at 265 pounds. By the time I was down to 230 I was doing some slow jogging. I agree with going sloooow. When I jogged my daughter could keep up with me walking. I've gotten faster. I got my 5K down to 29:48 and I'm hoping to get it under 25. Like she said... start really slooooow. My knees were so bad I had trouble lowering myself into a chair and stairs killed me. Since I've been running, my knees are doing great! I guess taking the weight off and strengthening the muscles helped.
  • alissagianfortone
    Options
    Eventually, I believe it is. Like others before I posted have said, start slowly. Walk for a while - not just a leisurely stroll, mind you, but walk with a purpose every day for 20-30 minutes. Eventually, you'll find yourself walking faster. At a point after doing this, you could try run for 30 seconds or so and see how that goes. If it is successful, try a C25K plan. I am not a fitness master, but this worked for me. I love to run, but it can be hard on the joints whatever your weight may be. You could try wear a bit of knee support if you feel like you need it - it never hurts!

Good luck to you in reaching your fitness goals in 2012!
  • fatgottago
    fatgottago Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hi, I just weighed this morning and I am at 230, I started at 242 on January 2nd and I really think the C2K program works! I have been on Day 1 for three weeks LOL! But I am actually JOGGING now when I am supposed to. In between days I do Jillian Michaels 30 day Shred. My one knee hurts that I injured in high school 19 years ago, my calves BURN and my ANKLES kill me,! But I am not stopping! I know it is my shoes and today I am headed to the sports store to get them. I love it! I am so excited when I get home because no one in my family believes in me at all. They laughed at me when I told them I want to run in the rock and roll marathon in Nashville next year. I am taking that laughter and I am going to show them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't care if I am slow as Christmas I am going to do it. My jog is slower than I walk.... LOL You can do it, just take it slow.
  • melandcurt
    Options
    I think as long as you go slow and work up to it, you will be okay. I have always been about 40 lbs overweight and I've been running for 2 years now. I haven't actually lost any (wtf?!?) but I suspect that has more to do with my thyroid issues than anything. My only "injuries" have been an obnoxious plantar fasciitis that won't quit but it's not bad enough to stop me.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I'm 306 and I occasionally jog during my walks. I had knee pain before I started this journey and have only been back to walking and fitness for a month, but I'm careful to take it slow and let my body be my guide. If my knee hurts, I'll swim at the gym or use the bike or elliptical. I don't walk every day, but I feel a natural need to bump it up a little when I do. Good luck!
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I do not think that running is best for everybody.
    You might want to start out with some slow, low impact jogging or even fast walking.

When I was fat, I walked away my first 45 lbs before ever even attempting to jog.
    And after losing 70lbs, my jog is barely a 12 minute mile.

Running may not be for everybody, but fitness surely is.

Find what works for you, and just do it.

All Is Possible!
  • msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am currently 221 and I run 2 miles straight and while I get a few shin splints they are usually gone after a quick massage and ice. I am training to run my first 5K this spring. Do things slowly and build up to them. You can do whatever you set your mind to. If you automatically tell yourself you can't then that will be the outcome.

Best of luck!
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    Always check with your doctor before taking up running or any high-intensity activity...but for motivation, I point you to this video:

http://youtu.be/8SbXgQqbOoU

Enjoy! And good luck!

For what it's worth, Ben Davis (the guy in this video) was just interviewed and featured in Runner's World Magazine. And he's still not a "little" guy.

I was just coming back to post this. your right I think Ben is around 240 pounds right now. That video is amazing and is super inspiring
  • roseemb
    roseemb Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I started running/jogging after I had worked out to strengthen my muscles for about 3 months before I started running. I was probably 220 when I started doing some running, more than 5 min at a time. I have tried running before and it was somewhat painful - I felt that my strength training leading up to it this time helped me start off on the right foot. I'm stil over 200 lbs and only 5'4", but am now able to run 2 miles without dying - so it can be done! :)

Good luck. Start slow and listen to your body!
  • carlie_carl
    Options
    A good pair or trainers (sneakers) aand youll be fine, Im 230lbs and I run like a sprinter lol, youll be fine :)
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    There are a lot of people here who have run at over 200 pounds and have found success doing it. I think the best idea is to check with your doctor first to make sure you're not at risk of any health problems from running.

I'd recommend trying C25K (www.c25k.com) as a way to ease yourself back into running. It's a program designed to help people who have never been able to run before move from being a couch potato to being able to run a 5k in 9 weeks. The reason why you may have aggravated your knee is because you didn't ease back in to running and went too hard for your first time back.

THIS

I started out at 232. I began by walking and increasing my speed and distance. After a while, I found C25K and began that program. I agree that you need to start slowly and build up. From what I've read, many beginners start out doing too much, too fast, and injure themselves. Just go slow. Additionally, make sure you get fitted for a good pair of running shoes... that will also help,
  • qwills2cats
    qwills2cats Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I started running at 220. I am a 5' 4" inch female and I started slow and set small goals. I would walk and then try to run one block without stopping, then one lap around the track, eventually one mile without stopping. I threw a party that day! I am slow and I jog more than I run but I haven't had any pain (besides soreness) or issues from running. 5 mos later I am down 60 lbs and have run 3 5ks and love running.

Get good running shoes... I had heel pain and my toes fell asleep until I got my asics gels.
  • ericsperling
    Options
    Don't run. Walk briskly. Don't use treadmills unless it's bad weather or too hot/cold. Natural walking is better than treadmills because treadmills make you walk in an unnatural gait. Also, treadmills cost money whereas walking outside is free.

Walk briskly every day for 10 minutes. The best time to walk is two hours after lunch. Usually, people feel a little sleepy two hours after lunch due to an insulin rush and crash. The best way to snap out of that malaise is to walk briskly for 10 minutes (56 calories). You need to walk fast enough to get your heart pumping but not too fast that you injure yourself. Wear proper footwear!

The reason that I'm able to maintain a daily walking routine is:
    1. It's fun to take a 10 minute break from work
    2. It helps me to wake up from my boring job
    3. It's easy because it only takes 10 minutes away from my day
    4. A 10 minute walk generally doesn't work up enough sweat to require changing clothes and showering which consumes more time during the day.

Pick a long scenic route that you can walk in one lap instead of a shorter multiple lap walk. Multiple laps are monotonous.

Myfitnesspal plus my ten minute daily walk has enabled me to lose 29 pounds from November 2 (232 lbs) to January 20 (203 lbs).
  • superstarcassie
    superstarcassie Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I think if your body can handle it- go for it. I started jogging at 270ish lbs!!!! I used the Couch to 5K program to get myself to a point where I could have the endurance to run a 5K. Now I've done multiple races, even a 10K. I still weight right around 199 lbs and I have no issues with it! I think it all depends on your fitness level and if you have knees that can handle it! (I run around 10 miles a week give or take, I hate the treadmill.....more in the summer because I can run outdoors) Good luck- and check out c25k- its a great way to build endurance! :)