Spike Days

Options
I've seen a number of posts on here about incorporating a spike day or one "cheat" meal each week. After reading about others' experiences in doing this, as well as my own experiences in doing something similar in the past when I've lost weight, I think it makes a lot of sense.

My question is this: does anyone have any knowledge of whether it's best to spike your calories just one day a week, or is possibly spiking 2 days a week (to a lesser degree than you would if you were just doing one day a week) also effective? I realize everyone's body is different, but I'm just curious about experiences other people have had with this.

Thanks!

Replies

• Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    The more high calorie days you add in the lower you need to keep the other days to compensate, so that your weekly deficit is still the same as it would be were you to not have these high cal days.
  • MeghanM02
    MeghanM02 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I guess that makes sense. So the people on here that talk about doing spike days are actually spending the rest of the week (or a couple of days) eating under their target in order to compensate?
  • EuroReady
    EuroReady Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing. Are "cheat/spike days" compensated for? I guess it makes sense that they would be. But I wonder if spiking one day is worth having to be even MORE careful the rest of the time.
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    So the people on here that talk about doing spike days are actually spending the rest of the week (or a couple of days) eating under their target in order to compensate?

Most of them are. The ones that are, will presumably lose weight at a faster pace than ones who spike without adjusting other days down to compensate.

I wonder if spiking one day is worth having to be even MORE careful the rest of the time.

Personal preference. Nothing wrong with experimenting and seeing which you prefer.

I find steady deficit to be easier in terms of it just being simple, but every 7 to 10 days I'd take a day where I just don't track things, so by default you could label this a spike day since I was around maintenance/small surplus.
  • MeghanM02
    Options
    Yeah, it can be difficult for me to stick to my daily target of 1200 as it is, so I think I would struggle with having to go below that in order to compensate.
  • MeghanM02
    Options
    I've done Weight Watchers in the past with success, so I guess I was kind of modeling myself after that in terms of being given a daily points target but then also having a weekly surplus to use as you wish (whether it was in one sitting for a cheat meal or using a couple to go over a bit each day). I typically used mine one night on the weekends when I would go out and have alcohol/a not so healthy snack, and I still almost always registered a loss. Since I was only paying attention to points in those days, I'm not sure how my daily points allowance correlated to daily calories I was actually consuming. Would be interesting to look into that.
  • fairycake25
    Options
    I have my cheat day on a sunday ...add up the general count on the day and then try and burn the extra the next week if that makes sence to you

For example

goal 1200

eat 2600

over 1400

so i split the 1400 over 6 days (approx 240 a day) and then exercise that little bit more everyday but my i still eat atleast 1200 a day and if i burn more than the 240 needed i eat more as i train alot ..hope this helps
  • MeghanM02
    Options
    I have my cheat day on a sunday ...add up the general count on the day and then try and burn the extra the next week if that makes sence to you

For example

goal 1200

eat 2600

over 1400

so i split the 1400 over 6 days (approx 240 a day) and then exercise that little bit more everyday but my i still eat atleast 1200 a day and if i burn more than the 240 needed i eat more as i train alot ..hope this helps

It does, thank you!
  • Sidesteal
    Options
    Yeah, it can be difficult for me to stick to my daily target of 1200 as it is, so I think I would struggle with having to go below that in order to compensate.

There's a reasonable chance that your daily target is set too low as is. With exercise factored in, you would have a larger calorie budget to work with if you decided to do a spike day.
  • JustJanis
    Options
    Im not a pro spiker... I just actually started trying this, this week. But I have a friend on here who uses this method and is very successful with it and he says eat your BMR of calories 6 days a week with workout (mine is 1400 even tho I normally stay at 1200) and one day off to rest and refresh where you eat double those calories, so for me it would be 2800 and you can eat whatever you like to get it there and make sure to rest that day here are some links I have found related if it helps at least to understand http://www.spike84.com/ and http://www.muscleandstrength.com/articles/i-spike-how-spike-diet-help-you-lose-weight-forever.html
  • MeghanM02
    Options

There's a reasonable chance that your daily target is set too low as is. With exercise factored in, you would have a larger calorie budget to work with if you decided to do a spike day.

Unfortunately, I haven't started exercising yet. I've just been getting back on track since the new year, and wanted to get my eating under control first before incorporating exercise. Starting off with a drastic change in my eating habits + beginning an exercise routine = me being overwhelmed and possibly giving up. So that's why I have been sticking with the 1200.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I agree, no need to go lower than 1200 to spike unless you are really small. Spike once a week at 2 x bmr with high carbs.
  • MeghanM02
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your input!

So I used this site: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ to calculate my BMR, which said it was 1591. Then incorporating in my activity level, which is currently sedentary :( it says my daily target should be 1909 calories in order to MAINTAIN my weight.

To LOSE weight it said to subtract 500-1000 calories from 1909, but subtracting the maximum of 1000 would make my daily target 909, which I know is too low as 1200 calories should be the lowest you go.

There was also this option:
    "An alternative way of calculating a safe minimum calorie-intake level is by reference to your body weight or current body weight. Reducing calories by 15-20% below your daily calorie maintenance needs is a useful start. You may increase this depending on your weight loss goals."

If I used this option, my daily calorie target would be 1528, making my weekly deficit 2670 calories as opposed to MFP's recommendation of 4670 weekly calorie deficit.

I know I am throwing a lot of numbers around and maybe I'm coming off as kinda dumb, but I swear I'm not! I guess my question is....in looking at those numbers, what should I go with?

Honestly, if you make it through all that and are willing to put in your two cents, you're awesome. THANK YOU!
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all your input!

So I used this site: http://www.bmi-calculator.net/bmr-calculator/ to calculate my BMR, which said it was 1591. Then incorporating in my activity level, which is currently sedentary :( it says my daily target should be 1909 calories in order to MAINTAIN my weight.

To LOSE weight it said to subtract 500-1000 calories from 1909, but subtracting the maximum of 1000 would make my daily target 909, which I know is too low as 1200 calories should be the lowest you go.

There was also this option:
    "An alternative way of calculating a safe minimum calorie-intake level is by reference to your body weight or current body weight. Reducing calories by 15-20% below your daily calorie maintenance needs is a useful start. You may increase this depending on your weight loss goals."

If I used this option, my daily calorie target would be 1528, making my weekly deficit 2670 calories as opposed to MFP's recommendation of 4670 weekly calorie deficit.

I know I am throwing a lot of numbers around and maybe I'm coming off as kinda dumb, but I swear I'm not! I guess my question is....in looking at those numbers, what should I go with?

Honestly, if you make it through all that and are willing to put in your two cents, you're awesome. THANK YOU!

Given your info and that fact you are sedentary, I would stay on the low side of BMR. Eat 1400 for six days and 2600-2800 on spike day. Your weight may go up after you spike but its only temporary water weight and it will come back down as the week progresses.