Some more reasons why Lifting Heavy is good!

Options
I know this topic is talked about quite a bit- just stumbled across this on-line article about 8 reasons why women SHOULD lift HEAVY! ( and no, you will not look like the hulk)

http://www.shape.com/fitness/workouts/8-reasons-why-you-should-lift-heavier-weights

Hope ya'll enjoy these reasons, among the many others why lifting heavy is awesome! I know I can't wait to start!

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    I love heavy lifting. IMO, leave the light-weight high-rep stuff for bodybuilders and figure models.
  • CheerfulMom4
    CheerfulMom4 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Great article, all things my personal trainer has been telling me. I feel better then I ever have before!
  • lifeismoto
    Options
    bump
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    My body has changed so fast since I started lifting heavy, i love it! :)
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    My personal trainer told me that low weight, high repetition is good for endurance (and rock climbing), while high weight, low repetition is for building muscle. I've always liked the latter, 'cause I like knowing when I'm getting stronger and can bump up to the next weight up, versus adding 5 more reps. BORING.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    Love it & I'm totally agree & I've proved this myself that I posted it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/458494-this-is-what-strength-training-can-do-to-a-woman-s-body-wit
  • krypt5
    krypt5 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    planet-fitness-I-lift-things-up-ad.jpg
  • francekelley
    Options
    really enjoyed that link....thanks so much!!
  • addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    I love heavy lifting. IMO, leave the light-weight high-rep stuff for bodybuilders and figure models.

Not to bash your post but you might want to look up some old pictures of Arnold and other pro body builders squatting and dead-lifting. They are putting up so much weight that you might have to reconsider your "light-weight" mentality.
  • onefitdiva
    onefitdiva Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Great article thanks! One of my friends here has been telling me that same thing!
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,956 Member
    Options
    Great article. Great post.
  • valerietoxii
    valerietoxii Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to do this so bad, but the weight room is such a boys club. I get nervous when I go in there so I usually end up doing stupid machines. :( I need a gym partner.
  • FatgutBgone
    FatgutBgone Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have always lifted heavy weights. I love being able to lift heavier the next time. I have always been sick as a kid and when I started lifting as a teenager I found that I got sick less often. Now I have arthritis and I found that heavier weights hurt me less than trying to do a lot of reps with lighter ones. It also gets my heart rate up more than the light ones.