Sodium ???

Options
So I saw a thread that talked about Jillian Michaels Tips to loosing and it said.

Limit Sodium intake to less than 1000mg.

I am trying to do this but its soooooo hard!

Is there anyone out there that stays under 1000 mg a day????

Any food tips to controlling this would be GREATLY apprecitated.

Thank you...<3 ya'll!!

Replies

• trhops
    trhops Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Funny, I was just looking on the forum to get info on what our sodium intake should be! :smile:
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Funny, I was just looking on the forum to get info on what our sodium intake should be! :smile:

I have upped my water intake to 80 ounces and tried lowering the sodium but I cant seem to get back 1900 mg! hahaha
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    No help here, I have a hard time getting close to 2500. lol
  • hounds726
    Options
    I just read the same thread a few days ago and you are right on! There is so much sodium in EVERYTHING!
  • cattracy0829
    cattracy0829 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I go over every day it seems...everything is loaded with sodium so unless you can eat all natural and all fresh food, it would be really hard.
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I've tried to limit mine to 1500. Some days I can do it, but it's really hard. No help here. Sorry!
  • jsmjboertlein
    Options
    I had to cook this way for my dd while she was in kidney failure. We used a lot of Mrs. dash no salt seasonings. They are delicious. You will be forced to prepare all of your own foods. It is definately hard but you get used to it after a while. I made chili, tacos, fish, even blts on occasion
  • MadeToCraveHIM
    MadeToCraveHIM Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    You can limit a lot of sodium from your diet by simply using non-canned ingredients such as fresh or fresh frozen vegetables and dry beans instead of canned ones. It may take some planning at first, but you'll begin to see the difference in how your body feels and your clothes fit.
  • jsmjboertlein
    Options
    You can limit a lot of sodium from your diet by simply using non-canned ingredients such as fresh or fresh frozen vegetables and dry beans instead of canned ones. It may take some planning at first, but you'll begin to see the difference in how your body feels and your clothes fit.
    I agree. Nothing canned, boxed, or otherwise processed. I used all raw ingredients
  • nashtyone
    Options
    I try to stay around 1500 on average, but man is it easy to get up to 2k in a heartbeat.. Haven't tried going down to 1k. I guess the places to look to cut are in your protein bars, which usually have a lot. Also, salad dressings. I'd say you pretty much have to make all of your own food. Try to get your protein from chicken and beef as opposed to cottage cheese, etc.
  • jsmjboertlein
    Options
    I try to stay around 1500 on average, but man is it easy to get up to 2k in a heartbeat.. Haven't tried going down to 1k. I guess the places to look to cut are in your protein bars, which usually have a lot. Also, salad dressings. I'd say you pretty much have to make all of your own food. Try to get your protein from chicken and beef as opposed to cottage cheese, etc.

I'm not a fan of salad dressing but my dd is. To replace it, I would squeeze a tomato into a bowl, add chives, and some Mrs. Dash seasonings. then pour that on her salad. She loved it. Turkey is low and a lot of fish is also low.
  • nashtyone
    Options
    If you want, you could look in my diary. I have some high days in there, but there are also a few in the 1200 range that might serve as a good example for you.

Here is a day where I was at 1279 http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/nashtyone?date=2012-01-16

Another one at 1294 http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/nashtyone?date=2012-01-10

Basically, if I would cut out the protein bar and replace it with a chicken breast, I'd be at 1k on these days.
  • bonnynblithe04
    bonnynblithe04 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Based on my own history, the things that get me close to/above the mark are:

-- soda, regular and diet (I ditched reg soda a long time but still have diet now and then)
    -- green tea
    -- processed snacks
    -- puddings
    -- microwave popcorn (I recently ran out of my fav brand which is 95 mg/serving and bought something else -- never again)
    -- salad dressings
    -- canned beans (I rinse them pretty thoroughly before using)
    -- some seasonings (anything meant to complement meat)

I recently cut my allowance to 1,750 but bumped it up to 2,000 mg after investing in this substitute popcorn. Will see how it goes since it's been a few days since I had any.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I try to stay below 1500mg but it is like flapping my arms in an attempt to fly!

Most days I am content to hit between 1500 and 2000mg.

However, 1 piece of pizza or any moment of fast food weakness and I am done!

One piece of advice I have received here on MFP is that when I go over my sodium I should drink extra water to help flush it out. Not sure if it works but I try and drink at least and extra couple of glasses if U have a high sodium day.
  • katsmit2
    Options
    i saw that too and just added the sodium tab yesterday. 2500g seems so high to me, but 1000g is pretty low, too.
  • tinalatina
    Options
    I had to cook this way for my dd while she was in kidney failure. We used a lot of Mrs. dash no salt seasonings. They are delicious. You will be forced to prepare all of your own foods. It is definately hard but you get used to it after a while. I made chili, tacos, fish, even blts on occasion

Thanks for the info....I have started cooking more at home so maybe I will try the Mrs Dash no seasoning.... and more in the raw....Gosh never realized how hard that is...glad im not the only one having difficulties.
  • tinalatina
    Options
    If you want, you could look in my diary. I have some high days in there, but there are also a few in the 1200 range that might serve as a good example for you.

Here is a day where I was at 1279 http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/nashtyone?date=2012-01-16

Another one at 1294 http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/nashtyone?date=2012-01-10

Basically, if I would cut out the protein bar and replace it with a chicken breast, I'd be at 1k on these days.

Thank you!! Ill check it out! :)
  • tinalatina
    Options
    I think 1500 sounds like a resonable goal....aiming for 100 is tooo difficult. So to re-cap

No boxed, canned or processed foods!
    More home cooking use -Mrs dash no sodium seasoning
    Cook and eat more raw/fresh vegitables!!!

Good luck you all and thanks for the input! This is why I <3(love) you all!!!!
  • It is really, really hard. You basically have to have 75-90% of your diet consist of fresh fruits and vegetables (at least in my experience). I have a hard enough time keeping my sodium under 2500, let alone 1000!
  • Freeapollo
    Options
    I know what you mean I am limiting my diet to 1400 calories a day and even then I am hitting my sodium intake and going above 2500mg eating healthy. I cant imagine my sodium count if I ate my full calories.