Scale Anxiety?

Options
Ok. So I've never had scale anxiety before but I was one who would weigh myself daily. So I always knew where I stood with my weight. I don't always like where I am at but I always knew.

So in the last 2 weeks I have decided to only weigh myself on Saturdays. This has been very challanging for me. Like I said, I used to weigh myself almost daily. So this week I have been diligently working out and keeping track of my food and I have noticed a considerable difference in my body. I am extremely anxious to see what the scale says tomorrow. If it isn't a great big loss I am ok with that because I'm more about how my clothes fit. But at this weight I would absolutely love to see lower numbers on the scale.

Do you other weekly weighers have scale anxiety? If so, what was have you dealt with it?

Replies

• debilyn574
    debilyn574 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I too was an every day weigh-er. The other week I decided to only weigh-in once a week. It was a hard week... and then on weigh-in day I gained a pound! I decided I didn't like not weighing in daily so I went back to that and feel much better. I guess I just like to know my ups/downs daily. I agree it's how your clothes fit, but I kinda like seeing the number on the scale! Good luck...
  • hounds726
    Options
    I am/was the same way. I was a compulsive weigh-er. I weighed myself every single day. I felt like it was sort of controlling my thoughts so tried to stop and only do it once a week but I feel like that put more stress on my body. This is just my personal opinion but if you find yourself worrying about it frequently, weigh in twice a week. Once mid week and once on Saturday. Eases your worries, keeps you on track and accountable. :) Just a suggestion.

PS...I have gone back to weighing daily but have the compulsion under control :)
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I am having difficulties not weighing myself every day. I'm trying my absolute best to do it at most every other day.
  • jen68310
    Options
    Thanks! It is tough. And I was fine, but now it getting close to my weigh in day and I'm just excited to see what the scale says. I'm like you though. If I go up, I'll be a little disappointed because it seems like its been a really good week and I think it should go down. :smile:
  • kak2m4
    kak2m4 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I also used to weigh myself every day...but I was the opposite of you two because I would go crazy if I'd gained a pound or whatever. I try to weigh myself once every 10 days, which, now that I have a new scale, is really hard. But right before I weighed in this morning my heart was pounding and I wanted to see a lower number SO bad. I did, but for some reason I was disappointed that it was only 2 pounds in the last 10 days.

However, I used to be the person that would just not eat when I wanted to lose weight. Obviously, this is not sustainable and I'd last a maximum of 4 days before I'd start eating and eating and eating again. I think I did it enough that it slowed down my metabolism. That said, I'm trying to turn things around and actually live a sustainable (and weight-losing) lifestyle. As other people have said on these boards - and what I had to tell myself this morning - was "slow and steady wins the race."

But yeah...I definitely understand your anxiety!
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have scale anxiety! lol I used to weight a lot too, but realized seeing the fluctuations every day kind of threw me off. I know it's hard not to weigh, but if you can do it once a week and not be stressed about it i think it's good to go that way. Remember though that stress can help your body be stubborn and hold on to weight, so just do whatever makes you less anxious. i normally do fridays as weigh in day, then again on monday to see what i'm working with at the start of the week. Its hard for me to wait again until friday, but i try to think of it as like a big reveal or surprise every friday :)
  • jen68310
    Options
    For this week my axniousness is not a bad anxiousness. Its an excited one. So I'm not too worried about it stressing me out. Just never had this feeling before so I had to see what everyone else goes through. I'll try to see how this goes for a while but I do like the Monday and Friday idea too. That way you can see how you did all week and if the weekend hurt you.