early morning workout...eat before or after?

Options
13»

Replies

• phresh21
    phresh21 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    It depends on what I'm doing. If I am doing crazy cardio or circuit training than yes I will eat otherwise I'll never make it thru the whole workout. Now If I am just going to do Zumba or lift weights than no, I'm good tell I get home.
  • Ely160
    Ely160 Posts: 51
    Options
    I usually eat a little something first (like a sandwich or a shake) to get my metabolism going, and to have the energy necessary to give the best I can during a workout.

I also like to drink a protein shake (or eat a meal high in protein, like a burger, eggs, etc) within 30 mins after my workout for my muscles sake. :)
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Definately after... your body will adapt perfectly fine to fasted workouts;

Only exception is HIIT you shouldn't do that on an empty stomach.

Have a black coffee, that is all you need - if a little jaded then a pre workout supplement.

You can sip BCAAs during workout if you are going hard with weights.

Make sure you have a good wam up though and stretch etc.

The thing is if you eat before then some of the stored energy you could be using for your workout will be breaking down your food, some blood will be going to your stomach instead of your muscles.
  • melissaw1232
    melissaw1232 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I think its personal preference.
    I roll out of bed and do my workout - be it 45 minutes of strength of cardio. Shower dress go to work then eat. Sometimes I'll drink a protein drink before leaving for work because I feel weak. But my endurance doesnt suffer having not eaten.
    Try both ways and see what works for you!
  • PrissyJayne
    Options
    I'm up and on my treadmill by 4am and work out on an empty stomach. As soon as I'm done I down 16oz of water while making my latte (my daily cheat!). I consume my latte while getting ready for the day, then prep breakfast and take it with me to the office. It works GREAT for me. I think you just have to find what works for you and stick to it.

For anyone who is getting stomach cramps on an EMPTY stomach, I've always been told this is due to dehydration rather than a lack of food. Just a thought.
  • ChipJDoty
    Options
    morning cardio more effective on empty stomach for fat burning. even better with coffee first.
  • cigarzzz
    Options
    Always after - either a protien shake or some fruit w/ peanut butter...
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    Its important to eat something for breakfast in the mornings, whether you plan to excercise or not!

I wouldnt eat anything too heavy on the stomach, as this can cause stomach cramps whilst excercising. Maybe a little bowl of cereal, or 2 slices of toast with a bit of butter on.

By eating breakfast, you will kick start your metablosim for the day ahead and when you excercise and burn calories it will help with weightloss.

hope this has helped.
  • shboyd
    shboyd Posts: 4
    Options
    I always eat after I work out! Have read several articule that it is best to work out first thing in the morning before eating cause you are attacking your stored fat. It works for me, attacking of any kind on fat is music to my ears!
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    #broscience alert.

Always have something in the morning before you work out or run...
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I've tried working out on an empty stomach, I can't do it. I need to eat breakfast before I work out, otherwise I can feel my blood sugar plummet and I get woozy.