Sodium ???

Options
2»

Replies

• trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    The reality is that blanket statements that you should lower your sodium are simply out of date. The amount of sodium you take in is much less important than the ratio of sodium to potassium. If you get plenty of potassium, sodium will not affect you. And the fact is, much like caffeine, unless you have a known sensitivity to it, it's pretty much a non-issue.
  • nashtyone
    Options
    I think I am going to give this a try today, just to see how hard it is, I'll post my results tonight or tomorrow am. BTW, I think that G Michaels says that this is for losing those last few difficult pounds, I don't think it is recommended for "normal" weight loss.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I limit my sodium consumption to 2500mg and usually I don't hit that.

If you want to cut down on sodium, stop eating so much prepackaged food. There is SO MUCH sodium in those foods! I realize that the convenience of those foods (and often the low cost) makes it really difficult to give them up, but you can do it!

Fresh veggies, fruit, meat... If you eat legumes, get dried legumes and cook them yourself. You can cook a whole package all at once and then portion it out and freeze it. That way, you don't have to cook beans for 1.5-2 hrs whenever you need some. There's no sodium in dried beans or chickpeas, yet if you buy them in a can, there's something ridiculous like 30-40% your daily recommended intake of sodium.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    I watch my sodium, and when I keep to my calorie budget of 1200, I tend to have less than 1200 mgs of sodium. I try to match my numbers: calories about the same as sodium.

Some suggestions:

1. Eat lots of fresh fruit.
    2. Use a nice low-acidic thick balsamic on salads (Napa Grand Reserve is great).
    3. No prepared foods in cans, unless they are salt-free.
    4. Frozen vegetables are fine, but read the labels.
    5. Dairy products can have a lot of sodium, so use them sparingly.
    6. I'm vegetarian, but if you aren't, don't use processed meats.
    7. Use low-sodium broths, cubes or powder for soups, sauces, etc.
    8. Obviously, train yourself to not salt food at the table.

I've been doing this for years, and my palate is well-adapted to it. Everything tastes bland at first, but eventually you start tasting the food itself and you don't need the salt.
  • marilu3
    marilu3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I've been starting to think a lot about this too. Health Canada says that adults should have about 1500mgs/day, and no more than 2300 (though MFP sets the rate at 2400 for me... ). I've been working on this. On the days I've been under 1000, I've had lots of crunchy greens and veggies. Fruit is very low in sodium. THings like lean protein, (chicken), and not using sauces and the such. I found out yesterday to my horror that though I LOVE feta cheese, the type I had (soaked in brine, which should have been my clue), a 3cm cube had 520 mg of sodium... so it's low in fat, but high in sodium. Soups are extremely high--even homemade ones, if you use any type of oxo cube or anything.
    I am going to be working very hard to minimize the sodium---just starting to realize what an issue it is.
  • JayneWilson1963
    JayneWilson1963 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • _VoV
    Options
    I limit my sodium consumption to 2500mg and usually I don't hit that.

If you want to cut down on sodium, stop eating so much prepackaged food. There is SO MUCH sodium in those foods! I realize that the convenience of those foods (and often the low cost) makes it really difficult to give them up, but you can do it!

Fresh veggies, fruit, meat... If you eat legumes, get dried legumes and cook them yourself. You can cook a whole package all at once and then portion it out and freeze it. That way, you don't have to cook beans for 1.5-2 hrs whenever you need some. There's no sodium in dried beans or chickpeas, yet if you buy them in a can, there's something ridiculous like 30-40% your daily recommended intake of sodium.

My lazy canned bean choice is a brand called Eden. No BPA in the lining, no sodium, and good if you want fast results. When I'm organized, I cook my beans from scratch, but I'm not always that good!
  • mizjohnston
    mizjohnston Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I buy canned vegetables a lot. My favorite is Del Monte's French Cut Green beans. look for the cans that say "no salt added". They have 10 mg per serving. The whole can is about 30 calories and 30 mg of sodium. Very filling as well. There are a lot of canned and frozen vegetables like this if you are in a hurry. For flavor, I add Mrs. Dash Seasonings. I use the onion flavored and garlic its really good. Good luck. =)
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I find it best to prepare my food during the weekend. This ensures that I don't go for the processed/packaged food during the week because I'm pressed for time. I'll make a healthy recipe for lunch that usually has 4 servings. I eat that all week and then have one day where I bring leftovers or I eat out. That way, all I have to do is portion out my food for the next day the night before. It takes about 10 minutes and I have a day of healthy meals and snacks.

You can prepare so much in advance and freeze it, it's really very helpful. I hate having to spend a lot of time preparing food during the week, it's such a hassle. I try to keep the dinner preparations to 30 minutes or less of active cooking (I don't really mind putting something in the oven and letting it cook for an hour or two, it's not like I have to watch it the whole time).
  • shellywheeler05
    Options
    It is really hard. Read labels, make homemade food, and fresh fresh fresh! My dad is diabetic and so sodium is a big no, no for him, our nutritionist suggested to try and stay around 1500mg per day, it is hard but if you read labels and try to figure ways to season with out salt and such, such as fresh herbs, yum!, it gets easier and will possibly save your life. Sodium is a huge contributor to diabetes.
  • _VoV
    Options
    It is really hard. Read labels, make homemade food, and fresh fresh fresh! My dad is diabetic and so sodium is a big no, no for him, our nutritionist suggested to try and stay around 1500mg per day, it is hard but if you read labels and try to figure ways to season with out salt and such, such as fresh herbs, yum!, it gets easier and will possibly save your life. Sodium is a huge contributor to diabetes.

I agree it gets easier. I didn't know sodium factored into the development of diabetes. I always thought it was the extra calories, and naturally the increase in body weight that goes along with them.
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    You can limit a lot of sodium from your diet by simply using non-canned ingredients such as fresh or fresh frozen vegetables and dry beans instead of canned ones. It may take some planning at first, but you'll begin to see the difference in how your body feels and your clothes fit.

This! And limit foods that are notoriously high in sodium like Chinese and Mexican food and soups.

Cooking clean home-cooked meals enables you to control the sodium. And look for foods and drinks that are lower in sodium. I get the low-sodium V8 and think it's delicious.

I usually manage to keep my sodium in the 1500 range which is well under the American Heart Association's recommended amount of 2500. (Actually, someone posted that the AMA lowered the recommendation to 1500.)

Going over occasionally isn't a big deal. Just drink lots of water to compensate.
  • ichorica
    ichorica Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I rarely go over 2000. I have lots of days i am under 1000. I stay away from packaged foods and i use spices instead of salt mostly to flavor my meals. Which meal do you see your sodium going to?
  • Brittypop
    Options
    It is really, really hard. You basically have to have 75-90% of your diet consist of fresh fruits and vegetables (at least in my experience). I have a hard enough time keeping my sodium under 2500, let alone 1000!

AGREED!
  • rayleansout
    Options
    Lots of green vegetables, Fruits, lean unprocessed meats, no food that comes in a bag, container, jar, or can. !!
  • nashtyone
    Options
    I think I am going to give this a try today, just to see how hard it is, I'll post my results tonight or tomorrow am. BTW, I think that G Michaels says that this is for losing those last few difficult pounds, I don't think it is recommended for "normal" weight loss.

So here is my result from yesterday, I even went out to eat at Outback steakhouse, but I still managed to do it.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/nashtyone?date=2012-01-20

The big differences were cutting out salad dressing, and eating a protein bar with less sodium.

Also, I only got to about 1100 calories, so that 's not great. However, I felt full all day long, probably in part because of the 100+ oz of water I drank.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Sodium is a bad one for me too.....some days its good some days its way over.......if anybody would like to add me i could use a few more friends. Thanks