Almond vs. Soy vs. Skim Milk?

Options
2»

Replies

• VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, so I choose between the soy and the almond. I think that all three are healthy choices, though! :-)

My opinion: Go with which tastes the best to you, because they are all good choices.

My current favorite is unsweetened vanilla almond milk, YUM!
  • quitmakingexcuses
    quitmakingexcuses Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I'm vegan, so I choose between the soy and the almond. I think that all three are healthy choices, though! :-)

My opinion: Go with which tastes the best to you, because they are all good choices.

My current favorite is unsweetened vanilla almond milk, YUM!

I didn't know they had unsweetened vanilla! I've been looking for something a little less sweet for my savory dishes that call for milk. I'll try that, and thanks! :)
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I'm going off of the info on these two videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzuaHhdfHf8

and

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOXI6oPxDws

:drinker:
  • corgifan
    corgifan Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You can get the unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze at Costco. It comes in a pack with six cartons and ends up being a bit cheaper than at Albertsons/Vons/etc. 40 calories per cup.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    unless you are alergic to diary, why have almond milk ?

Less sugar.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I started out last year with soy milk just because I've never "loved" cows milk. Soy was okay....but it was only for smoothies, I didn't like it just to drink it plain, but it did the trick for what I was using it for.

Once I lost lots of my weight I found the calories in any milk, soy or other wise not "worth" it until I found 35-40 cal unsweetened almond milk. This stuff tasted great, I can drink it as is, or on cereal it's delicious, I LOVE LOVE LOVE IT in smoothies, protein shakes, or as make it yourself icecream, chocolate is only 40 cal per 8oz cup and vanilla is 35. You can get plain for cooking.

My kids even love it.....so I will never go back to cows milk or soy. I'm not exactly how it compares in protein, carbs, sodium, fat to other milks but for me it works.
  • bzmom
    bzmom Posts: 1,332 Member
    Options
    bump
  • luvwindycity
    luvwindycity Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have never been a milk lover ....skim is just too watery. Have switched over to Almond Breeze unsweetened original mainly because it is only 2 carbs per cup and is sugar free. Use it mainly when I have my cereal.
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I prefer the TASTE of almond milk (unsweetened in my cereal or to drink, Vanilla for my oatmeal), but I'll use plain unsweetened soy in my smoothies to get more protein. I also use the unsweetened soy in savory recipes.
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I prefer the taste of almond milk and typically use sweetened vanilla. I have a sweet tooth. When I cook savory, I go for unsweetened soy. When making a smoothie, I typically use unsweetened chocolate almond milk.
  • supershiny
    supershiny Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    As a former vegan and current lactose avoider, here are the results of my most judicious study of Fake Milks.

Tastes the most like real milk: rice milk
    Tastes the best on its own: hazelnut milk
    Tastes delicious in cereal/baked goods, reasonably easy to find: almond milk
    Tastes delicious in cereal/baked goods, harder to find: oat milk
    Tastes the grossest: soy milk
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    Watch out for the soy milk.
    Soy is a phytoestrogen, which means it messes with your estrogen levels.
    Too much soy every day can cause infertility, thyroid problems and other health issues.
    I definitely avoid all sources of soy.
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Unsweetend vanilla almond for cereal. I cant drink any kind of milk straight!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    Watch out for the soy milk.
    Soy is a phytoestrogen, which means it messes with your estrogen levels.
    Too much soy every day can cause infertility, thyroid problems and other health issues.
    I definitely avoid all sources of soy.

this

soy is a cheap filler. it is added to all kinds of things because its so cheap.

soy gained alot of popularity with vegans some years ago but has been shown to be an inferior food. very overrated.
  • sarscab
    sarscab Posts: 13
    Options
    You can get the unsweetened vanilla Almond Breeze at Costco. It comes in a pack with six cartons and ends up being a bit cheaper than at Albertsons/Vons/etc. 40 calories per cup.

This is what I use! 40 calories in 1 cup! Not bad at all :)