Fun & Healthy- Kids breakfast ideas

Options
WildFlower7
WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
I've got a BIG weekend ahead of me and am really incorporating Healthy & Fun cooking and eating into my kids' diets (especially since it's going to be raining and were limited to what we can do).

We will have 7 kids in our care this weekend and they all love to help me cook. So if any of you have some fun breakfast ideas that'd be greatly GREATLY appreciated :flowerforyou: , shoot even some fun lunchs, these are kids ranging in ages from 3-8yrs old.:noway:

I'll share what I've got for fun dinner ideas. Tonight will be boneless skinless baked popcorn chicken with yogart ranch dressing. Saturday night will be homemade pizza on wheat dough.:bigsmile:

Replies

• ajlarz
    ajlarz Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Here are a few fun breakfast ideas that the kids can help with:

Breakfast Egg Cups
    8 wonton wrappers
    1 cup egg beaters
    1 Johnsonville Turkey Cheddar Brat, cooked
    1/2 cup shredded cheese

Spray a cupcake tin with non-stick cooking spray. Press each one of the 8 wonton wrappers into a cupcake spot. Fill the wonton with 1/8 cup of the egg beaters. Cut the brat up into small pieces and distribute evenly among the 8 cups. Top with the cheese by distributing the 1/2 cup evenly among the 8 cups. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes or until the egg appears done and the wontons are turning brown in color. Delicious!

EggCups.jpg

Mini Breakfast Pizza
    1 yellow corn tortilla (extra thin)
    1/4 cup egg beaters (or 1 egg, but will add more calories)
    .5 oz diced ham
    1/16 cup shredded cheese (7 grams if you use a scale)

Put the tortilla in a 400 degree oven while you prepare the rest of the food to get it crispy. Scramble the egg and heat up the ham. When the tortilla is at the desired crispness (is that a word?), remove it from the oven. Add the egg, top with the ham and cheese. Turn the oven to "broil" and heat until the cheese is melted.

BreakfastPizza.jpg
  • SailorMoon007
    SailorMoon007 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Bump! That looks delicious!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Just made this, my son didn't eat it, but I think kids would find it fun to make! Haha

http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/01/baked-oatmeal-with-blueberries-and.html
  • Asil76
    Asil76 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing can't wait to try the breakfast egg cups....something that both of my kid's will eat :)
  • PrissyJayne
    Options
    I don't know how much the kids can help with this, but I'm making this baked peach and blueberry oatmeal for my family this weekend.
    http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Baked-Blueberry---Peach-Oatmeal

Love the idea above with the wontons! I've done something similair (bacon wrapped eggs) but I love the idea of putting them in wonton wraps! Great topic. I can't wait to read more ideas.
  • ajlarz
    Options
    Adding a lunch idea:

Lasagna PIzza Roll Ups

6 lasagna noodles
    1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
    1/4 cup fat free sour cream
    1/2 tsp garlic salt
    1/2 tsp dried basil leaves
    18 turkey pepperoni's
    1 cup spaghetti sauce
    1/4 cup shredded mozzerella cheese

Boil the lasagna noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, mix the ricotta, sour cream, garlic salt, and basil together until smooth. When the lasagna noodles are done, remove them and dry them off. Take a spoon full of the cheese mixture and spread it on the noodle. Top with 3 pepperoni's. Roll it up.

LasagnaPizzaRollUps.jpg

Roll the remaining 5 the same way. When finished, place them in a greased baking dish. Take 1 cup of the spaghetti sauce and pour it evenly among the six roll-ups. Sprinkle each one with part of the 1/4 cup of cheese. Cover with tinfoil and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until all of the cheese is melted.

LasagnaPizzaRollUps2.jpg
  • margieward82
    margieward82 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    toad in a hole (birds in a nest)- cut out a round hole in a slice of bread with a cookie cutter or jar lid. Butter the bread and place on hot griddle, then crack and egg into the hole. Cook until egg is done to your liking!
  • bkw2488
    bkw2488 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Chicken salad made with spinach or regular lettuce, tomatoes, cheese and a light dressing. It’s fast and easy. I let the little ones put the lettuce on the plates, one does the tomatoes etc…. They have fun getting it all ready and serving it.
  • margieward82
    Options
    Or regular lasagna is easy to make in large portions and fun for the kids to layer on the different ingredients!
  • margieward82
    Options
    You can make homemade crackers and have them help roll out hte dough and cut out fun shapes! My duaghter loves helping make her animal crackers... we make sweet ones with applesauce and cinnimon and savory ones with cheese and paprika and garlic.
  • ajlarz
    Options
    Okay, one more!

Cheeseburger Cups

16 wonton wrappers
    1 pound lean ground turkey
    2 wedges laughing cow cheese, any flavor (if desired)
    1/3 cup ketchup
    1 T mustard
    1 T chopped onion
    1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

optional toppings: onion, tomatoes, lettuce, olives, etc...

Spray a cupcake tin with non-stick cooking spray. Add a wonton wrapper to each one. Brown the ground turkey and the onion. Once browned, add laughing cow cheese, ketchup, mustard. Stir until well mixed. Add the mix to the wonton cups, distributing evenly. Top with optional topping, and shredded cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until the wontons are crispy. Enjoy!

CheeseburgerCups.jpg
  • WildFlower7
    Options
    :bigsmile: ALRIGHT!! Thank you all. These all sound GREAT!!
  • edtrina99
    Options
    bump looks yummy:tongue:
  • WildFlower7
    Options
    Here are a few fun breakfast ideas that the kids can help with:

Breakfast Egg Cups
    8 wonton wrappers
    1 cup egg beaters
    1 Johnsonville Turkey Cheddar Brat, cooked
    1/2 cup shredded cheese

Spray a cupcake tin with non-stick cooking spray. Press each one of the 8 wonton wrappers into a cupcake spot. Fill the wonton with 1/8 cup of the egg beaters. Cut the brat up into small pieces and distribute evenly among the 8 cups. Top with the cheese by distributing the 1/2 cup evenly among the 8 cups. Bake at 350 for about 10 minutes or until the egg appears done and the wontons are turning brown in color. Delicious!

EggCups.jpg

Mini Breakfast Pizza
    1 yellow corn tortilla (extra thin)
    1/4 cup egg beaters (or 1 egg, but will add more calories)
    .5 oz diced ham
    1/16 cup shredded cheese (7 grams if you use a scale)

Put the tortilla in a 400 degree oven while you prepare the rest of the food to get it crispy. Scramble the egg and heat up the ham. When the tortilla is at the desired crispness (is that a word?), remove it from the oven. Add the egg, top with the ham and cheese. Turn the oven to "broil" and heat until the cheese is melted.

BreakfastPizza.jpg

HELLOOOO ;) This will be made this weekend FOR SURE!!
  • WildFlower7
    Options
    toad in a hole (birds in a nest)- cut out a round hole in a slice of bread with a cookie cutter or jar lid. Butter the bread and place on hot griddle, then crack and egg into the hole. Cook until egg is done to your liking!

That's my daughters favorite. I haven't made it in a while though, thank you!!
  • WildFlower7
    Options
    Adding a lunch idea:

Lasagna PIzza Roll Ups

6 lasagna noodles
    1/2 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
    1/4 cup fat free sour cream
    1/2 tsp garlic salt
    1/2 tsp dried basil leaves
    18 turkey pepperoni's
    1 cup spaghetti sauce
    1/4 cup shredded mozzerella cheese

Boil the lasagna noodles according to package directions. Meanwhile, mix the ricotta, sour cream, garlic salt, and basil together until smooth. When the lasagna noodles are done, remove them and dry them off. Take a spoon full of the cheese mixture and spread it on the noodle. Top with 3 pepperoni's. Roll it up.

LasagnaPizzaRollUps.jpg

Roll the remaining 5 the same way. When finished, place them in a greased baking dish. Take 1 cup of the spaghetti sauce and pour it evenly among the six roll-ups. Sprinkle each one with part of the 1/4 cup of cheese. Cover with tinfoil and bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes or until all of the cheese is melted.

LasagnaPizzaRollUps2.jpg

Alright, I AB. SO. LUTLY love this one!! Thank you!!
  • WildFlower7
    Options
    You can make homemade crackers and have them help roll out hte dough and cut out fun shapes! My duaghter loves helping make her animal crackers... we make sweet ones with applesauce and cinnimon and savory ones with cheese and paprika and garlic.

Amazing! Love this too!!
  • WildFlower7
    Options
    Okay, one more!

Cheeseburger Cups

16 wonton wrappers
    1 pound lean ground turkey
    2 wedges laughing cow cheese, any flavor (if desired)
    1/3 cup ketchup
    1 T mustard
    1 T chopped onion
    1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese

optional toppings: onion, tomatoes, lettuce, olives, etc...

Spray a cupcake tin with non-stick cooking spray. Add a wonton wrapper to each one. Brown the ground turkey and the onion. Once browned, add laughing cow cheese, ketchup, mustard. Stir until well mixed. Add the mix to the wonton cups, distributing evenly. Top with optional topping, and shredded cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes, or until the wontons are crispy. Enjoy!

CheeseburgerCups.jpg

Mmmmm this is amazing, it'd prob. be REALLY good with avacado and a chipotle ranch dressing in place of the ketchup!! (for me lol)
  • maylandia
    Options
    I saw this "quilt pizza" on Weelicious yesterday and thought it looked great!

http://weelicious.com/2012/01/19/quilt-pizza/

(i dont know how to copy the photo here)
  • ajlarz
    Options
    Avocado in place of ketchup would be delicious! I never thought of that!