HRM confusion

Options
I am so confused on whether to purchase a HRM monitor or the Fitbit. I like the idea of monitoring by calorie burn all day. My confusions is with HRM do you have to wear a strap around your chest all day with the wrist watch and would this be uncomfortable?
I like the idea of the Fitbit because is small and can be hidden but is it going to calculate my calories I burn while on my treadmill or doing the Wii? Any advice would appreciated.

Replies

• rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,136 Member
    Options
    If you want all day calorie estimates you cannot use a HRM for that. They are designed to be used during exercise and only during exercise. The formula they use to calculate calorie burn is not accurate in any way at times other than that. For full day calorie estimates the Fitbit, Bodymedia Fit, or Body Bugg are what you want, not a HRM
  • ryno0618
    ryno0618 Posts: 361
    Options
    HRMs are not designed for all day wear. You only wear them during cardio exercise. A FitBit or BodyBugg is worn all day. There is a huge difference in the price. So it really comes down to what you are looking for and what you are wanting to track. I have a Polar FT7 heart rate monitor. $70. I love it! A good HRM will have a chest strap, its the most accurate way to read calories burned.
  • tag0829
    tag0829 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you - you have clear up the confusion. I think I may go with the Fitbit.
  • madameduffay
    madameduffay Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I was given a HRM by my gym, but it does not calculate calories. Is there any way I can use the information from it to do that calculation myself?