Squats and lunges

Options
I have osteoarthritis. I have been wanting to develop a complete strength training program for myself. The only problem is that my knees make that crunchy noise when I attempt to do squats and lunges. I know that strengthening those muscles will help improve the OA in my knees, but the physical therapist that I used to see said that crunchy noise was causing damage to the cartiledge. I don't want to do more damage to the joint in the process of trying to improve it. What should I do? Should I ignore the noise and exercise through it? Are there other exercises that I can do to work those muscles around the knee? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Replies

• addisondisease
    addisondisease Posts: 664 Member
    Options
    Are you using proper form by keeping your knees from tracking over your feet?

Allowing your knees to come forward past your feet moves more and more weight to your knees when it should be sitting on your hips. Kick those hips back like its the high school dance if you are having this problem.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I'll definitely try that. Thanks.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I know nothing about the challenges associated with osteoarthritis but hopefully, this will bump your post so you can get some ATTENTION AROUND HERE!! Ugh!
  • jnettiedotson
    Options
    I would look into water strength training classes, possibly at your local YMCA.
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    but the physical therapist that I used to see said that crunchy noise was causing damage to the cartiledge.

I would love to know more. I've never been diagnosed with OA or anything like that, but my knees crunch like the dikkens, too. In fact, they've crackled since I was a (normal-weight) kid.

I'm trying to lose some weight now in order to *help* my knees...I'd hate to think I'm doing damage to them instead. I'd love to hear from a professional, really...

heh...wtg, word filter.....geez, I hate misspelling. :-P
  • carole456
    carole456 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have cartilage problems in my knees especially the right, I'd love to know how to make my knees stronger, sometimes the silliest things make them bad!
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    I would not necessarily accept the physical therapist's assessment of what that crunching will do. I went to an orthopedic surgeon because of the pain and crunching in my knees, and he said that while over a long period of time of constant crunching, they knee may become damaged. Although they make horrible noise and hurt over after a night of dancing or LONG distance walking, the xrays who nothing structurally wrong with my knees. They are slightly displaced, which puts odd pressure.

All that to say, that I might get a second opinion, and like another person said, make sure your form is right. I don't do lunges too often because I know my form is wrong and they hurt. I can do squats all day, though, and don't feel anything in my knees...I guess it's having so much junk in the trunk that it just pulls everything back :wink:
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    but the physical therapist that I used to see said that crunchy noise was causing damage to the cartiledge.

I would love to know more. I've never been diagnosed with OA or anything like that, but my knees crunch like the dikkens, too. In fact, they've crackled since I was a (normal-weight) kid.

I'm trying to lose some weight now in order to *help* my knees...I'd hate to think I'm doing damage to them instead. I'd love to hear from a professional, really...

heh...wtg, word filter.....geez, I hate misspelling. :-P

Currently, I am reading "The Arthritis Cure" by Jason Theodosakis MD. Very good read if you want to understand more about OA.

The crunching is actually because the cartiledge has degenerated to a point that it is jagged instead of smooth. OA is something that pretty much takes years to develop. I honestly believe mine started as a kid as well. My mother was early onset and then I had an injury which caused my to symptoms to start even earlier. If you are experiencing any pain or swelling, I would suggest seeing a doctor.
  • mrsjennifermaffei
    Options
    I don't know much about your condition however, drink lots of milk and maybe get a knee support brace while doing light knee/leg exercises. Also, maybe trying a doing these exercises in a pool to take the pressure off? Never do anything that is uncomfortable or pushing your boundaries too much as you don't want any injuries.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    I would not necessarily accept the physical therapist's assessment of what that crunching will do. I went to an orthopedic surgeon because of the pain and crunching in my knees, and he said that while over a long period of time of constant crunching, they knee may become damaged. Although they make horrible noise and hurt over after a night of dancing or LONG distance walking, the xrays who nothing structurally wrong with my knees. They are slightly displaced, which puts odd pressure.

All that to say, that I might get a second opinion, and like another person said, make sure your form is right. I don't do lunges too often because I know my form is wrong and they hurt. I can do squats all day, though, and don't feel anything in my knees...I guess it's having so much junk in the trunk that it just pulls everything back :wink:

I would highly recommend that you get a second opinion on that. The uneveness could be due to degeneration.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    If need be modify them a little until you can build up to it. If still painful I would talk to your doctor to see about adding something to your diet or what he/she may suggest. I know I have to modify some of the lunges and squats it take a lot of work and practice to get to where it is comfortable for you. I work out 5 days a week and I work on lower body one day upper the next and then a combo and then I just keep rotating them. Good Luck
  • k2quiere
    k2quiere Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options

I would highly recommend that you get a second opinion on that. The uneveness could be due to degeneration.

I have...been to two different ones, and they both told me the same thing. Then, after 3 months of physical therapy, the therapist said, "why are you wasting your money, here are the exercises, you know what hurts and what doesn't".