Family Trip to D.C. Any Suggestions?

Options
applebobbrush
applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
My family (my husband, my 12yr old daughter and myself) are taking a trip to Washington D.C. at the end of March. Could any locals or past residents or anyone that has ever been there give us some must see great vacation tips. We for sure are checking out the Washington, Lincoln and Jefferson memorials as well as a couple of the Smithsonian museums and the National Zoo. I would appreciate any tips, great food places or places to avoid.

Thanks!

Replies

• the_journeyman
    the_journeyman Posts: 1,877 Member
    Options
    Holocaust Museum?

JM
  • SithZombie
    SithZombie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I live in the area! Go to the Spy museum, and the Air and Space museum! I know Air & Space is FREE =D
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options
    spy museum
  • jrnygirl
    jrnygirl Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Find a hotel near a Metrorail station and it will make traveling much easier than taking a car. Contact your senator's office if you want to have a tour of the white house, etc. The national cathedral tour is really nice.
  • CapsFan17
    CapsFan17 Posts: 198
    Options
    My favorite place to eat in DC is Tony Cheng's. Its an all you can eat Mongolian BBQ, not very MFP friendly but definately worth it if you like Asian food. :happy:

www.tonychengresturant.com
  • mike_hill
    mike_hill Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Not sure where you are staying, but if possible take the Metro (subway) into the city as parking/traffic is pretty bad.
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    Watch the changing of the guards at the Tomb of The Unknown Soldier and the Vietnam Memorial.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything above, especially parking elsewhere and getting an all day Metro pass. All of the Smithsonians are free. There is an aquarium which is in the basement of the treasury building or something, you have to pay for it and it is small and is not worth it!
  • curliefrii
    curliefrii Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    You have to pay to get in, but the Spy Museum or the Newseum are both really cool. I also really like the Library of Congress (behind the Capitol).

I wouldn't bother with the National Zoo... it's free but not really a lot of write home about. As cool as dinosaurs are, I think the Natural History museum needs a serious update, but the American History museum has been recently renovated and is pretty awesome.

If you have access to a car, driving and going to Mount Vernon or Robert E. Lee's house in Arlington National Cemetary is cool too.
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    You'll have long lines everywhere, because it's the beginning of peak tourist season, but I would check out the National Archives (7th and Pennsylvania NW) - you can see the Constitution and Magna Carta and the like. And there are always exhibits.

Depending on your other interests, there are various things to see - if you like mystery and crime, the Spy Museum and the Museum of Crime and Punishment are near each other, although both are pay museums.

You mention the Smithsonium - I didn't know if you were aware that the Smithsonium as an institution has several museums, and the Zoo. There's American History, Natural History, National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery, American Indian, Air and Space.... plan on spending a lot of time at each.

Plan on a huge budget for food. I see people in sticker shock over restaurant prices here. Teaism has three locations and is reasonably priced.

Otherwise, it depends on what you like, what kind of food you like, etc.
  • rbryntes
    Options
    I agree with everything above, especially parking elsewhere and getting an all day Metro pass. All of the Smithsonians are free. There is an aquarium which is in the basement of the treasury building or something, you have to pay for it and it is small and is not worth it!

It's the Department of Commerce, 15th and Penn..
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    I agree, Air and Space is great, and if you want, there's an adjunct facility, the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum just outside of DC. They have a space shuttle there, and an SR-71! If you had to pick one Smithsonian (and didn't go with Air and Space), I would absolutely recommend Natural History--it is absolutely an all-day, amazing trip. Parking and Metro is a good idea, though, if we're only into it for a few hours, we've been known to find parking early in the day on a Saturday or Sunday, then get out and move the car (or leave) after three hours to avoid the tickets. But at a Smithsonian you've never visited? You're not likely to want to leave after three hours, and finding a second parking spot after moving the car is often impossible. Sometimes we park as far out as the Vienna Metro station and take the train in. If you like hiking/walking about, there's a lovely park in DC that's not far from the zoo and is also free (free parking, too) http://www.nps.gov/rocr/index.htm. There's a small nature center there, and even stables. You could head a little farther afield and check out Bull Run/Manassas Battlefield in Manassas, which has a great "old town" area with nice diners and cafes.

Edited to say that, being the frugal miss I am, I listed the free and cheap places (parking at Udvar-Hazy and the zoo is pretty steep, though). We went to Mt. Vernon and were floored by the price (but wowed by the drive along the Parkway!)--wound up leaving without touring because it would have been 15 bucks a pop just to look around. So we've put that off until next year when the cash flow is a little less strangled.

Kris
  • rbryntes
    Options
    I wouldn't bother with the National Zoo... it's free but not really a lot of write home about. As cool as dinosaurs are, I think the Natural History museum needs a serious update,

I would respectfully disagree with you. I love Natural History, it's always being updated. There are several different areas other than the dinosaurs. And I do think the Zoo is worth seeing. Naturally crowds gather around the pandas but there are m,any animals worthy of seeing.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    The Air and Space Museum is my favorite. I also enjoy going to the Korean War Memorial at night. The way they light it is really cool.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    The Native American Museum is great! And the cafe has really good food.
  • deeharley
    deeharley Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Watch the changing of the guards at the Tomb of The Unknown Soldier and the Vietnam Memorial.

^^ This.
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    You'll have long lines everywhere, because it's the beginning of peak tourist season, but I would check out the National Archives (7th and Pennsylvania NW) - you can see the Constitution and Magna Carta and the like. And there are always exhibits.

Depending on your other interests, there are various things to see - if you like mystery and crime, the Spy Museum and the Museum of Crime and Punishment are near each other, although both are pay museums.

You mention the Smithsonium - I didn't know if you were aware that the Smithsonium as an institution has several museums, and the Zoo. There's American History, Natural History, National Gallery, National Portrait Gallery, American Indian, Air and Space.... plan on spending a lot of time at each.

Plan on a huge budget for food. I see people in sticker shock over restaurant prices here. Teaism has three locations and is reasonably priced.

Otherwise, it depends on what you like, what kind of food you like, etc.

Agreed.

Someone mentioned the Holocaust Museum, I second that.

DC also has a great selection of Ethnic foods, if your family is food adventurous I'd suggest using an app/site like UrbanSpoon/Yelp and checking out some of the options.
  • jujuevins
    Options
    I second the Air and Space Museum near Dulles airport http://www.nasm.si.edu/udvarhazy/

Fantastic one day (or longish half day) experience.....
  • LifeChanged1209
    Options
    The Viet Nam Memorial is (to me) by far the most incredible site. It's right near the Lincoln Memorial, so you won't have to go out of your way to see it. At the other end of the mall, however, just past the capital on the left, is the National Law Enforcement Officer Memorial. Being a retired police officer, I think this is a MUST SEE. Also, it's worth the time and metro fare to see the changing of the guards at Arlington National Cemetary, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
  • Asharee011
    Asharee011 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I took a trip to D.C last March and some great places are the Holocaust museum, the play Shear Madness at the Kennedy center I believe, then the subway is a great experience, then the monuments are really cool, and China town is awesome:) Have fun!