cold belly???

Options
When I do a lot of cardio (running and/or Insanity DVD) I'll sweat my butt off, but my stomach is ice cold. Really, really cold. I found that odd and wondered if something was wrong with me. I Googled it and I got mixed reviews. Some said that I'm not getting enough blood to that region, some said it was just sweat evaporating and some actually said that it means you're burning fat in that region through thermogenesis.

Anyone know anything about this phenomenon? Anyone have some proof on what the real cause is? Sure would be nice if the fat burning theory was right! I doubt I'm that lucky though...

Replies

• erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Ok this is sort of new to me, investingating this Phenomenon. Good thing goolgle isn't blacked out.
  • GraceOrr
    Options
    Hmmmm, not sure, but my husband runs twice a day and he said the same thing happens to him. He seems to think that where he carries more fat is where it stays cooler. I dont know, but Id have to say as long as you are not in any real pain, just keep going!
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    the areas where you store fat are usually colder than the rest anyway.
  • Balletsax
    Balletsax Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I saw this last night, not sure how true it is... http://healthy-happy-and-fit.tumblr.com/post/10733534752
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I get this, too, especially when running and I've always thought it was just the air hitting the sweat. In the summer, I have a tendency to run in just a sports bra and shorts so my stomach is exposed to the air. When hiking, the small of my back will usually be very cold and sweaty, too, so I don't think it has much to do with fat storage areas.
  • ChefSuzzieQ
    Options
    My track coach always told us it meant we got a good workout. I just took that as fact.
  • midwifekelley2350
    midwifekelley2350 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    i have had that happen too! occasionally get hives on belly and thighs too
  • 175to125
    Options
    It's your body burning fat. It happens to me all the time.
  • golope
    golope Posts: 54
    Options

Yeah sometimes it gets red along with the cold. Thats why I am sort of ruling out the lack of blood flow theory because if you lack blood in an area it would be more blue than red. At least I think thats right.
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    When you exercise your body sends more blood to where it is needed most. So, when running that would mean (proportionally) more blood to the lungs and legs (and obviously the heart which is pumping all the blood around).

So (proportionally) less goes to places like the stomach and abdominal muscles. Less blood means less warmth = cold belly.

This lack of blood is why some people have trouble digesting food when running and others suffer more dramatic "runners tummy" type issues and also why, on a cold run, your fingers and toes can get very very cold.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    ^^^ This! It's an adrenaline response too.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    That's a symptom of exercise-induced anaphylaxis. I get a mild form. It's worth getting it checked out out as if it gets worse you may need to carry an epipen.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    When you exercise your body sends more blood to where it is needed most. So, when running that would mean (proportionally) more blood to the lungs and legs (and obviously the heart which is pumping all the blood around).

So (proportionally) less goes to places like the stomach and abdominal muscles. Less blood means less warmth = cold belly.

This lack of blood is why some people have trouble digesting food when running and others suffer more dramatic "runners tummy" type issues and also why, on a cold run, your fingers and toes can get very very cold.
    Good explanation! My sister has the "runner's tummy" issue and her hands get really cold when she runs, too. She wears gloves when she runs and it's below 50°. I have neither of these issues, thankfully.
  • golope
    golope Posts: 54
    Options
    That's a symptom of exercise-induced anaphylaxis. I get a mild form. It's worth getting it checked out out as if it gets worse you may need to carry an epipen.

Wow that sounds serious!
  • kaeroo
    kaeroo Posts: 5
    Options
    glad it's not just me! happens to my tummy and thighs!?!
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I haven't noticed that issue, but I have definitely had the cold hands the last few weeks. Temps that I only needed one pair of gloves at back in November, I am now dealing with numb, freezing fingers. Have to wear another pair of gloves to keep warm at the same temp.

Pam
  • QueenJayJay
    QueenJayJay Posts: 1,139
    Options
    If you think something could be serious, you should see a doctor.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Had that too, especially when I work out hard. Always wondered what it was.

Life Mystery #183789 - Solved.
  • Inlet
    Inlet Posts: 135
    Options
    When one's body burns fat, a by-product of that reaction is heat. It should not make you cold. My stomach has very little fat on it, but running for a long time makes it, and my fingers and forearms freezing cold. My body is sending blood to my "running muscles."
    I solve it by wearing multiple tank tops, and occasionally arm warmers or a jacket.