Family Trip to D.C. Any Suggestions?

Options

Replies

• Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    In no particular order, Holocaust Museum, Air and Space, American History, National Archives. I always liked the Zoo.

I definitely agree to use the Metro as much as possible. It's easy, gets you almost anywhere you want to go, and parking and driving are terrible.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Find a hotel near a Metrorail station and it will make traveling much easier than taking a car. Contact your senator's office if you want to have a tour of the white house, etc. The national cathedral tour is really nice.

The National Cathedral is closed for earthquake repairs. So is the Washington Monument.

You could go to Mount Vernon or Old Towne Alexandria (the Torpedo Factory is really neat).
  • CJK1959
    CJK1959 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Things to see: Arlington National Cemetary, Library of Congress, Botanical Gardens, Lincoln Memorial, World War 2 Memorial, Vietnam Memorial Wall, Union Station has a lot of neat eateries, National Museum/Gallery of Art, American History Museum...Dorothy's ruby slippers! Smithsonian Air and Space

Stay close to a Metro station, the best way to get around the city

Mount Vernon is really neat, great car trip
    Spend time just walking the mall...you see some neat things/people and a wonderful sense of what this country is about!

Enjoy yourselves!
  • moujie
    moujie Posts: 229
    Options
    SO many wonderful things to do in DC! You can walk to just about everything and the metro is very easy to use. I am a Maryland resident but have spent quite a lot of time in DC. Do yourself a favor and go through some neighborhoods like Adams Morgan - where there are tons of "ethnic" restaurants to choose from, or Georgetown for upscale boutiques, or Dupont Circle for great restaurants (also a large gay community). Obviously seeing the capital and walking around the National Mall and Washtington Monument. Vietnam Memorial, Lincoln memorial, the kids will like the Smythsonian (natural history & air and space are great for kids) also the Native American Museum is nice. There is a spy museum that's good for kids - you may want to google it. I have never done this but it looks like a blast: segway tour of the city -- you get a guided tour and you get to zip around on a segway! National Zoo is nice. Eat lunch at the Capital Grille (expensive) and you'll probably see a politician or two or ten! The Newseum. Union Station. Are you going to be there over a weekend? If so go to Eastern Market - it's both an open air market like a big yard sale/antique market and there's also a building with little food shops, etc.

There are so many things to do in DC, hope you have nice weather! It's been cold here!
  • whencynstops
    whencynstops Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Get a hotel as close the Metro as you can. I usually get there, park my car, and never see it again until I leave. Last time I went up I took the train. It was great not being in a car for over 5 days.
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I suggest anything to do with history try to fit as much as you can in I loved touring all the sites when I was there. My highlight of it all though was going over to VA to visit George Washington’s home.
  • naz81irani
    naz81irani Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i have wanted to go to the holocaust museum. i have heard its very very sad but its sad truth, unfortunately.

Enjoy your trip!
  • whencynstops
    whencynstops Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I agree, Air and Space is great, and if you want, there's an adjunct facility, the Udvar-Hazy Air and Space Museum just outside of DC. They have a space shuttle there, and an SR-71! If you had to pick one Smithsonian (and didn't go with Air and Space), I would absolutely recommend Natural History--it is absolutely an all-day, amazing trip.

I agree - Udvar-Hazy was unbelievable. The Air and Space was over crowded, I liked it, but if I had to pick I would say Udvar-Hazy!
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    OH! The WWII Memorial is best seen at night.
  • bayertablets
    bayertablets Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone about the Holocaust Museum. I went when I was in high school and have been wanting to go back ever since. You do have to get there pretty early to get tickets for the permanent exhibit (some of which may be too graphic for your daughter), but it is worth it. If you can't get tickets to that, they always have other free temporary exhibits that are usually pretty fascinating as well.

My second favorite place is Ford's Theatre! They do tours and there's a museum-like area with items on exhibit and tons of fun facts. :) The tour guides are extra knowledgable and super fun.
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Ben's Chili Bowl and Georgetown Cupcakes. Lines can be out the door and down the street, though. Soooo worth the wait! (Ben's Chili Bowl only takes cash)
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Definitely go to Sticky Fingers Bakery! I go there every time I'm in town...they won Cupcake Wars last year, and just two weeks ago one the Cupcake Wars All-Stars...you WON'T be disappointed!
  • cleach29
    Options
    ah! i used to arrange trips for constituents as part of my job! i'm biased but - tour the capitol! and the bureau of engraving and printing is neat, especially for kids (www.moneyfactory.gov) -- although call your member of congress to get reserved tickets for both since you'll be traveling in a busy time! you should inquire about a white house tour, but that isnt guaranteed (tickets are limited and requests approved by the white house based on availability). the library of congress is gorgeous.

everyone is right - stay within walking distance of a metro and use it! wear comfortable shoes, you'll do a lot of walking. but that's good for MFP! :)
  • AwesomeForever
    Options
    I have stayed at the Holiday Inn on C Street. I would leave the hotel in the morning go left to the road and straight ahead would be the Air & Space Museum. I love all the little museums down that street. You can go from one to another. You will have fun if you plan on going to the museums in the day time and the cafes at night.

We totally enjoyed the Chinese Friendship Gate and at Mongolian food that we selected which was cooked on a grill right in front of our eyes. I think the best thing was walking around the Mall at night to see the Lincoln Memorial all lit up. All I can say about the National Gallery of Art is that the grandchildren used the audio guides which are free and listened to both the short and extended versions of the adult and children's guide for each picture and statue.

We loved the American History Museum. You will love the gems in the Natural History Museum. On Tuesdays, get there early and go to where the Butterfly Exhibit is as it is free on Tuesdays! I think my grandson totally enjoyed every museum but had the most awesome time in the Capital. They keep you in close check in your group. I loved the National Archives. My two oldest grandchildren have been to DC with me several times. It was my 7 year old granddaughters first time to go. She saw us use a cab to get from the airport to the hotel. We put our things in the room then went to the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden. Next, we took a cab to The Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial. I think because she lives in a rural area that she thought we were going to be driven everywhere. No, from our hotel, we could walk all around the mall.

We had been on long trips other years and I did not want to overwhelm Maya. I think the boys loved going to the places that served the best food and kept checking in as we got near their favorite places to see if I was hungry yet! You may want to eat at the Mitsitam Cafe at the National Museum of the American Indian.

I hope I have given you some ideas.

I agree with the others and know that you will have a grand time no matter where you go.

I intend to go back again. It is my favorite destination.

If you take side trips, Arlington National Cemetery is a must. I totally enjoyed Mount Vernon. It was too warm for most animals by the time we managed to get to the National Zoo. Maybe you will have better luck.

I love exploring and finding out what interests my grandchildren.

Linda
  • KimmyEB
    KimmyEB Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who has said to get a metro pass and use that as transportation. We used to live just outside of DC, and I made the mistake of driving through it one time. NEVER EVER AGAIN! That is the ONE city that I will never drive through ever again. The metro can be hell in the evenings when you have to fight for a seat/place to stand, but it's easier than driving.

I also wouldn't bother with the zoo...it's nice and all, don't get me wrong, but it's really small. The only thing really worth seeing are the pandas (both giant AND red!)...otherwise, it's kind of a bust. And every time I've gone there, the monkeys are having huge orgies. So....possibly be prepared to explain to your daughter what's going on, haha. I've been there 3 times, and each time at that exhibit, sure enough, they were all getting it on, and all you hear is "Mommy, what are they doing?" and flustered parents. :laugh:
  • applebobbrush
    applebobbrush Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You all are so awesome thank you so much. I have a growing list :)
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    When I visited DC my favortie place was the FBI Museum. It was fascinating. My other favorite stop was Arlington Cemetary. It is such a great city. Have a wonderful time.
  • baycat107
    baycat107 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Our family went there a couple years ago. Definitely use Metro. The Holocaust Museum was amazing. We spent the entire day there. After seeing so many pictures of Arlington Cemetery, it was really cool to be there. And the Changing of the Guard was inspiring, solemn, and a cool thing to see. We toured the White House and Pentagon, but you have to have security clearance months in advance. DC is a fun place to visit and history abounds. Have fun!
  • wildcat808
    wildcat808 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    i heard the cathedral is amazing! i didnt get a chance to check it out on my trip. the monuments of course... museums will take a lot of your time (theyre huge!) i only went to one and didnt manage to get through the entire thing. you wont run out of things to do on that mall ... not in one trip!
  • IndigoVA
    IndigoVA Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I live just outside of DC. The Holiday Inn on C St. is nice and usually pretty decently priced for its location. It's right behind the Air and Space Museum, so in easy walking distance of all the Smithsonian museums. Be prepared that you could spend days in each Smithsonian museum and still not see the whole thing. I'm not exaggerating here! As others have said, the Holocaust Museum is truly one of the best, but they're all pretty good. They're also all free! Some, like the Holocaust, require timed tickets to get in, but you don't have to pay for those. They only do tickets to make sure there aren't too many people in the museum at the same time. In addition to the Holocaust Museum, I would also see Air & Space, Natural History, and American History. Some museums (Newseum, Spy Museum, Corcoran) are not part of the Smithsonian Institution and do cost money. I really like the Newseum, but doubt I would bother with it if I were only going to be here a short time. I would also recommend avoiding Madame Tussaud's. The DC one really isn't worth the entry fee.

Regarding Metro, you can get a Smartrip card which will give you reduced fares on the Metro or local buses. However, the card itself costs $5, so unless you're going to be using public transportation a lot, it's probably not worth the money.

Other places to see...Georgetown (not Metro accessible, but worth the trip if you like shopping), OId Town Alexandria (beautiful, and where I live, so I have to give a plug).