Body Media, Body Bugg or Fitbit

Options
I would love to hear some opinions on these three devices and if they are worth it. Not sure which one to buy.

Replies

• carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have a BodyMedia, which is pretty much EXACTLY like the bodybugg. I LOVE it. Worth every penny to me.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I have heard that the Body Bugg and Fitbit are literally the same thing except for slight packaging difference. I really want one, I think. LOL. I'd love to hear more about them, also. Anyone??
  • LucyLu24
    LucyLu24 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I had the Body Bugg, it helped me lose the first 40lbs of baby weight. I just got bored wearing a band around my arm, really not fashionable. Body Bugg website was user friendly too.
  • gracefullyjenn7
    gracefullyjenn7 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    do you think that it being bluetooth compatiable is important?
  • carolann_22
    carolann_22 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I have the older BodyMedia so it's not blue tooth compatible. Doesn't matter that much to me, I have a computer at work and home so I can pretty much upload my info whenever I want.
  • valerietoxii
    valerietoxii Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I would like to know as well. I see that MFP and fitbit work together. But it seems to me that fitbit doesn't do as well as the others. I'm so torn, I don't know which to buy!
  • BeLightYear
    BeLightYear Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I love my Body Media. It really motivates me to hit my goals every day, just so my daily chart shows it :bigsmile:
  • coachreyes
    coachreyes Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I have the bodymedia. I really like it a lot. It's very easy to use and computer friendly. I also downloaded the app onto my phone. It displays Calorie burn, Calories consumed, physical activity, steps taken and sleep duration. I don't know about the other models but bodymedia is very user friendly.
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I would like to know as well. I see that MFP and fitbit work together. But it seems to me that fitbit doesn't do as well as the others. I'm so torn, I don't know which to buy!

the FITBIT does work as well as the others. Consumer Reports, Rodale have done tests, they measure about the same. The fitbit is easier to use, just clip it on you (women, can clip it on a bra... guys, in your pocket). Wife and several friends here own one and they all love it. It is just a matter of preference for YOU. No one is better than the other, just different features.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    do you think that it being bluetooth compatiable is important?

I suggest you avoid the bluetooth version. I had one for a short time and it was incredibly buggy. Damn near unusable. I sent it back.
  • gracefullyjenn7
    gracefullyjenn7 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Coach which model is it that you use that has the blue tooth capability?
  • laura4410
    laura4410 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I just got the fitbit and its AWESOME! I love everything about it! It motivates you to move move move! The syncing between MFP and the fitbit was a deal sealer for me. Its working seamlessly. There are some activities that aren't going to be as accurate as a HR monitor. It measures movement, not heart rate. But, then you just log that activity as you normally would. A friend of mine was wearing bodybugg while we were doing the Shred together. The fitbit said I burned 180 calories, and her body bugg said she burned like 186. I say thats pretty darn close. I was surprised because the shred is a lot of strength and stand still movements. I would much rather underestimate the calories I am burning than over estimate. The website is super easy to use. You have this awesome dashboard that shows you graphs of how many steps you have taken, calories you have burned, floors you have climbed, your sleep quality. Its all so interesting. The floors climbed is spot on. the goal is 10 floors (you can change all your goals) so I literally walked up and down my stairs 10 times and it counted 1 floor each time. Anyways, I can't say enough good things about it. The price is unbeatable and the website is free!!
  • laura4410
    laura4410 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Oh one more thing, the fitbit syncs with my computer if I am within 15 ft of it. No having to plug in and download the info when I want to see it. Plus I can look at my fitbit in real time. A lot of the other devices you have to plug in and see.
  • valerietoxii
    valerietoxii Posts: 93 Member
    Options

the FITBIT does work as well as the others. Consumer Reports, Rodale have done tests, they measure about the same. The fitbit is easier to use, just clip it on you (women, can clip it on a bra... guys, in your pocket). Wife and several friends here own one and they all love it. It is just a matter of preference for YOU. No one is better than the other, just different features.
    I just don't see how it can accurately measure heart rate and things of that sort. It seems like a pricey pedometer.
  • coachreyes
    coachreyes Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    Coach which model is it that you use that has the blue tooth capability?

I do not have one with bluetooth capability. I'm perfectly fine with hooking it up to the computer each morning.
  • Courtneycms88
    Courtneycms88 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit and I love it. It is not designed to measure HR and does not state otherwise. It is mainly for those who are looking to increase activity throughout their day. I love the charts that show me when I am active and where I am sitting for long periods of time. This helps to me to find ways of getting up and moving. While I am still learning about getting more active and eating right, this tool has been pretty awesome. It is also really nice because there is no required membership that costs extra like with the other options. There is an optional membership that costs otherwise it is paid for when you buy the equipment itself. That was a huge factor in my purchasing of the fitbit. Also I love how discrete it is compared to the other options. I don't need co-workers to know I am trying to lose weight so the fitbit clips on to my bra or inside my pants pocket.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    My trainer lent me a BodyBugg to use, and I didn't hate it. But, after awhile I started getting bothered by having to wear it on my arm constantly. Also, whoever said their website was user friendly must be far more patient than I am. I had to fight with it every day and HATED that website. Plus, their food database is complete crap. MFP has a far more comprehensive database, even if there are some occaisonally incorrect entries.

I'm going to give the Body Bugg back to my trainer, and buy a Fitbit. I've heard mostly good things about the Fitbit, it's cheaper, and now that it will sync with MFP - that is all I need or want!
  • courtgosvener
    courtgosvener Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I have heard that the Body Bugg and Fitbit are literally the same thing except for slight packaging difference. I really want one, I think. LOL. I'd love to hear more about them, also. Anyone??

Actually you are confusing the Fitbit with bodymedia fit. The fitbit is nothing like the Bodybugg or Bodymedia. I have the Bodybugg, it's neat. It's neat seeing the burns. I am not convinced the Fitbit is more than a glorified pedometer. Not sure how it calculates calories since you just stick it in your pocket or the center of your bra. The bodymedia you wear on your left arm and have direct contact with your skin.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    i have the fitbit but dont use it. it was logging my driving as steps and so it wasnt accurate.
  • aliciainmb
    Options
    One more important thing. With BodyMedia, there is a $6.99 monthly charge to use the site and upload your arm band. MFP is FREE. I also totally agree that MFP has a much more expansive food database. The bodymedia food database is very limited. I hated added everything in everyday and wearing the armband gets olds. And then every one is always asking "what is that" etc. The armband is a good concept but takes a lot of discipline and work. I am already working so hard to lose weight I find it difficult to keep everything up and going at once for a long period of time (months).