quick question...im new to all this!

Options
this may be a dumb question so sorry if it is. i was wondering....why would i want to "eat back" the calories i lost from working out??? if i am making sure im getting 1200 calories like it says on here, why would i want to go over that??? wouldnt that defeat the purpose of burning calories in the first place? sorry im confused.

Replies

• BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Because getting plenty of protein, healthy fats, and other nutrients is important to your overall health. When MFP sets your calorie target, it already includes a deficit based on the number of pounds you want to lose each week. You don't have to create a deficit by working out -- it is there already.
  • kidbxrs
    kidbxrs Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    It is not a dumb question at all. It is the most asked question on this forum actually so not dumb at all. I actually can't explain it to you i wish I could. I understand the concept and I have lived it so i know it works. I don't eat all of mine back but at least half. There is a search option at the top of this post, if you click that and search (eat back, excercise calories,) or anything to that effect, You will come up with hundred of answers to this very question. I do searches a lot. There are some very helpful posts on there for exactly what you are wanting to know at that time. :)
  • beckysbeauties
    beckysbeauties Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    This is how I understand it...MFP has given you a calorie goal that creates a deficit. When you exercise you are burning calories which creates a large caloric deficit. If your daily caloric deficit is too large your body will go into starvation mode (I know hard to believe when you are overweight) and counteract everything you are doing...it will hang onto the weight. I myself eat back my calories. Hope this helps!
  • Savagegirlt
    Options
    Most of us need approx 2100 calories a day to maintain our weight. MFP says eat only 1200 calories making a deficit of 800 calories a day. When you workout you are burning up even more calories making an even larger deficit. If the deficit is too large your body will go into 'starvation mode' and hold on to all the weight it can. You need to make sure you get all the nutrients you need, and give enough fuel to your body so it will actually 'eat' itself and not store more to itself.
    THis is not a dumb Q, I had the same one when I joined (just a week ago). I am still trying to live by this, but have seen/read many others say it works. Best of luck...
    Savagegirl