Ground Beef recipe ideas for tonight please!

Options
iishnova
iishnova Posts: 259 Member
So my family took out ground beef with every intention of using it yesterday. Well when it came time for dinner NONE of us wanted it so we opted for something different.

Tonight I'm making dinner and I've got to use the ground beef. Any suggestions? I can cook but I don't cook very often so I don't even have a recipe to turn to x.x Looking for something healthy (obviously). I don't really care how long it takes.

Please help me out!

Replies

• iishnova
    iishnova Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Can anyone give me some ideas?
  • kar2083
    kar2083 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    What about chili? Toss in lots of veggies, don't put cheese, watch your salt.
  • Sweetncgal78
    Sweetncgal78 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I make Spaghetti using a low cal spaghetti sauce and whole wheat thin spaghetti (taste very close to regular). Service size comes out larger than I thought and its very good! I add extra mushrooms, zucchini and even chopped carrots. -- this is what Ive been using the last of my ground beef for until we switch over to ground turkey completely.

Or like the poster above, chili is good too! (fixed that last night) and again was surprised at the serving sizes after I was finished.

Side note: A bit weird to some but I boil my hamburger (instead of frying) -- by just adding enough water to cover it in the pan and then I strain it through a colander and rinse it with very hot water.. just to try to get rid of as much grease a possible.

No one has ever been able to tell the difference and its so much healthier.
  • juliet1178
    juliet1178 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I know you needed this yesterday, but here's an idea for next time:

Taco Soup
    1 lb browned ground beef
    1 packet Taco Seasoning (or do a homemade version)
    1/2 packet Ranch Seasoning
    1 can Rotel
    Corn, Diced Tomatoes, Pinto Beans (you can add other beans like black or kidney as well)
    32 oz Chicken Stock

Simmer on the stove about 20 minutes, it's yummy:)
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    A favorite in my house is what we call Pate Chinois here in Quebec. I think that the english term is Sheppard's Pie?

Make some mashed potatoes (no salt butter, no salt and 1% milk), brown the meat and add a little Worcestershire sauce (I like to add in some onion and garlic with the meat while it browns), shred a carrot or two (very fine) and cook up a cup or so of frozen corn.

In a baking dish add in the meat mixed with the carrot, then put the corn on top of the meat and then a last layer of the mashed taters. Put it in the over @ 350 for 30 - 45 min. Then serve!

A big treat in my house.
  • howdyag05
    howdyag05 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I made some hamburger steaks the other night they were great! I added a little worschesire sauce and some fresh garlic, a little salt and pepper and about 2-3tbsp blue cheese crumbles to the meat and cooked them in a skillet. Then i boiled some red potatoes and mashed them for mashed potatoes (with the skins on) and added just a little bit of cream cheese and butter to make them really creamy. (they don't need much since the red potatoes already have a creamy texture) While all that was going on, i roasted some brussel sprouts in the oven.... but you could saute green beans or cook some broccoli just as easy. Anyway, it was a quick and easy meal that was very tasty!
  • Brittypop
    Options

Taco Soup
    1 lb browned ground beef
    1 can Rotel
    Corn, Diced Tomatoes, Pinto Beans (you can add other beans like black or kidney as well)
    32 oz Chicken Stock

YUM. I'm gonna try this.
  • kar2083
    kar2083 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Taco Soup
    1 lb browned ground beef
    1 can Rotel
    32 oz Chicken Stock

What is Rotel?
  • EPortJake
    EPortJake Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I made this last week and it was delicious and quite filling:

Stuffed aubergines with Moorish spices and Manchego cheese

4 aubergines
    6 tbsp olive oil
    1 onion, chopped
    4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    1 large red pepper, seeds removed, chopped
    1½ tsp freshly ground cumin seeds
    1 tsp ground cinnamon
    ½ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
    1 tsp pimentón dulce (smoked sweet Spanish paprika)
    large pinch of crushed dried chillies
    500g/1lb 2oz lean beef mince
    6 tbsp tomato sauce (I used passatta with some dried basil and oregano)
    100g/3½oz Manchego cheese, coarsely grated
    salt and freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6.

Cut each aubergine lengthways through the stalk, then score the flesh in a tight criss-cross pattern, taking the knife through the flesh down to the skin, but taking care not to cut through the skin. Place them side by side on a baking tray and drizzle each half with half a tablespoon of the oil, season with salt and bake for 30-40 minutes or until the flesh is soft and tender but not browned.

Meanwhile, heat the remaining two tablespoons of oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the onion, garlic, red pepper and spices and fry gently for 10 minutes. Add the mince and fry for 3–4 minutes or until all the meat is lightly browned. Stir in the tomato sauce and simmer for five minutes.

Remove the aubergines from the oven and increase the temperature to 220C/425F/Gas 7. Carefully scoop most of the flesh out of the baked aubergine halves, leaving the skins with a layer of flesh about 1cm/½in thick. Stir the scooped-out flesh into the lamb mixture with half a teaspoon of salt and some pepper to taste. Spoon the mixture into each aubergine shell and sprinkle with the grated cheese. Bake in the oven for 8–10 minutes, or until the cheese is bubbling and golden-brown.

Serves 4
    511 calories per serving.
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    What is Rotel?

Rotel is canned tomatoes and green chiles...very good. You can get mild or spicy.