Nursing and weight loss

Options
I'm trying to loose around 20 pounds but I'm not sure how to restrict the amount of calories I consume because i'm breastfeeding. Anyone have any tips or suggestions on how many calories i should have in a day?

Replies

• juliet1178
    juliet1178 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It depends on how old your baby is and how much you are nursing. If you are exclusively breastfeeding you need an extra 500 calories a day...you need more calories when you are breastfeeding than we you are pregnant! I've heard good things about the weight watchers plan for nursing mothers, but I've never tried it myself. To be honest, breastfeeding was so important to me, that I didn't count calories for the first year, I just tried to make really healthy eating choices.
  • trimom10
    trimom10 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I didn't count calories with any of my three babies and I automatically lost the baby weight each time. I just made sure I ate healthy and not too much junk food or sweets.
  • juliet1178
    juliet1178 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I didn't count calories with any of my three babies and I automatically lost the baby weight each time. I just made sure I ate healthy and not too much junk food or sweets.

I lost all my weight too:happy:
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Click on your food diary, then click 'add food' and search for 'breastfeeding'. Several options will come up from the search - if you choose the exclusive breastfeeding option and add it to your diary, it will add an extra 500 calories to your calorie goal that day. If baby starts taking some formula or solid foods in addition to nursing, you may want to switch to choosing the option that says 'mom of older baby' which will add a lesser amount of 300 calories onto your daily goal.

You need to add this in every day, but after you add it a couple of times it will start showing up in your 'most used' list so that you can add it more quickly. :-)

Unfortunately there is no option in the profile to check off 'breastfeeding exclusively/part-time' so this is a way that you can still take it into account. Also, I have made a suggestion to the site administrators to please try and add in an option that nursing moms can check off in their profile for breastfeeding, feel free to add your support to that suggestion if you are so inclined:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/458826-suggestion-profile-options-for-breastfeeding-mothers
  • MrsLong1980
    MrsLong1980 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    MFP will tell you how much you need to eat to lose whatever you choose at the time of creating your profile thingie - I believe from what I'd read you just add an extra 300 to 500 calories as a daily thing on your diary. If you put in breastfeeding into the food database it should bring up a few to look at.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Have MFP set up your goals based on how quickly you want to lose. I recommend no more than 1 lb per week. That will give you a net goal. Then each day, enter "breastfeeding" into your food diary -- there are several entries corresponding to how old the baby is and how often you're nursing. Choose the one that's right for you. It will give you the extra calories and macros you need. Then make sure to eat ALL your allotted calories, including those earned through exercise. Drink plenty of water, and choose healthy foods when you can to make sure that you don't get depleted -- your body will give nutrients to your baby first, and you'll only get what's left after that, so you want to make sure you're getting everything you need.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Seriously, the 20 lbs can wait until your baby is weaned... nothing is more important than feeding your baby.

Just eat healthy food - mostly fruit, veggies, and lean protein, stay away from highly processed foods, and be sure to drink lots of water.

Fat on the hips, btw, will vanish magically during your baby's 2nd 6 months, if you are still breastfeeding and providing most of his/her calories.
  • drgnkiss9
    Options
    i just started to work out everyday.. its like i am stuck between pds and cant go no more.. i go from 201 to 200 back and forth i cant get under 200... im now going to the gym 3 times a week and do some at home.... anybody know what to do?
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Seriously, the 20 lbs can wait until your baby is weaned... nothing is more important than feeding your baby.

Just eat healthy food - mostly fruit, veggies, and lean protein, stay away from highly processed foods, and be sure to drink lots of water.

Fat on the hips, btw, will vanish magically during your baby's 2nd 6 months, if you are still breastfeeding and providing most of his/her calories.

I lost all my pregnancy weight by 6 months with both kids and then magically started GAINING weight in the second 6 months where they started nursing less. Everyone is different and you can't predict what will happen with another person. The best strategy is to be aware of what you are eating and how much energy your body uses during the day. I was totally unaware at those times and that's probably why I gained weight, baby was feeding less and I did not adjust my intake.
  • Rielyn
    Rielyn Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I agree that baby is most important but I also understand the feeling of just wanting to fit into regular clothes again, The first time I lost the baby weight I did it through Weight Watchers (which has a nursing option) and I just made sure to watch for cues in baby that they weren't extra fussy etc. which means you're not eating enough. The second time I used MFP and did basically the same thing. I drank lots of water and added 500 calories a day onto my daily goal.

Check out http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mom/mom-weightloss.html
    Full of great info! Good luck :)
  • 2fit4fat
    2fit4fat Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    just an FYI i basically exclusively feed my 8 month old. i am one of the lucky ones that hugs the weight with or without breastfeeding (and no one try to tell me otherwise this is kid #6 so i think i would know my body better lol)
    anywho counting calories didnt drop my weight at all. (i tried starting dec and now jan.) and it actually made me have milk problems (which i have never had) in spite of adding the 500 back and drinking a gallon of WATER a day (plus any other milk, juice etc i may have had)
    SOOOOOOOO i think you will have some trial and errors. i personally decided to cut back on sweets and workout. my body responds best to working out anyway (this is the first time i am even going to try cutting back on sweets and that is mostly because it got WAY out of hand for awhile.)
    Good luck momma! hope you find what works best for you, your baby, and your body
  • mjohnson45
    Options
    My son is 11 months old now and only breastfeeding a few times a day. I have lost all of the baby weight plus 10lbs but i'm wanting to get to a healthier weight. But the last few months nothing I'm doing is making anymore of the weight come off. This is why I have started counting my calories. Oops posted as my hubby