Birth control and losing weight

Options
I'm sorry if it's been asked before but the search function is being wonky with my computer... Has anyone here lost weight while on birth control? I keep having people discourage me from losing weight because I'm on birth control and they say it's impossible to lose while on BC.... I haven't gained anything but I'm really afraid I won't be able to lose... I'm 5'7", 150lbs and would like to get to 135lbs.

Help?

Replies

• SillySkittles
    SillySkittles Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I've been on Yasmine for over two years now and before that I was on Diane35. I just started trying to lose weight about a month ago and I've lost 8 lbs already!!!

My doctor had told me it may be hard to lose weight while on BC, so I was always under that assumption and kept giving up waaaay too early on any kind of diet or exercise plan and just blamed the pill. But I've really stuck to my calories and watching what I eat and go to cardio classes three times a week and it's coming off, slowly, but surely!!!

Hope that helps!
  • katyp26
    katyp26 Posts: 13
    Options
    I used to be a pharma rep and sold birth control. You certainly CAN lose weight while you are on it. It somewhat depends what you're on because they all have different horomone levels. On a side note, I am also 5'7", was 152 this winter, and was down to 135 a few weeks ago...(gained 5 back cuz I got off my routine on vacation and am just getting back on track). I am on birth control and it hasn't stopped me!
  • ngwife4life
    ngwife4life Posts: 569
    Options
    With the exception of the shot, I think it's a complete mental game. There's a lot of research on this out on the web but I honestly believe that a lot of people (myself included!) use birth control as an excuse for their failure. There may be a select few people that it genuinely affects in this way but honestly, what do you have to lose by eating healthy and exercising?
  • tobeyoung
    tobeyoung Posts: 3
    Options
    Phew! This is all good to hear. Thanks, you guys are great.
  • CubLub63
    CubLub63 Posts: 12
    Options
    You CAN lose while on birth control. I had been on TriNessa for a year before I started to lose. While on it and starting my weightloss program, I lost 12 lbs. It's funny but, now that I've stopped... I've had a harder time losing weight. It's probably because I've reached a plateau and not the birth control.
  • Mom_To_5
    Mom_To_5 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    you can lose weight on BC, however i changed mine a few months back and put on weight( as well as other side effects), as soon as i figured out what it was changed back to what i have been on for years and am almost at my goal!!!

so YES it is possible!!
  • dclarsh
    dclarsh Posts: 364
    Options
    I'm sorry if it's been asked before but the search function is being wonky with my computer... Has anyone here lost weight while on birth control? I keep having people discourage me from losing weight because I'm on birth control and they say it's impossible to lose while on BC.... I haven't gained anything but I'm really afraid I won't be able to lose... I'm 5'7", 150lbs and would like to get to 135lbs.

Help?

Yes of course it's possible to lose weight while on birth control. I've been on it for years, and I would say that I'm having no more trouble than anyone else dropping the pounds. Those people who are discouraging you just want to keep you down with them... ignore them. I was about the same size as you, 5'8 and 147 pounds when I started this journey in January. I'm now down to 138 and still going. So heck yeah! You can do it!
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I was on birth control for 15 years and I had some trouble with my weight, but with regular exercise it could be kept under control. I had a lot of problems and never quite found one that worked with my body very well. Last year I switched to a inter-uterine device (IUD) and it was the best thing ever. No hormones and I have no problem losing the weight and I have so much more energy than I had before.

There is a really good section in "Lifetime Running Plan" by Bill Rogers that is written by Joan Benoit Samuelson about how hormones effect how we feel when we work out.
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    I have been on the same BC for 5 years (since i was19), it has not affected my weight at all. When I was 21 i lost about 15 pounds from starting an exercise regimen. Then about two years later gained most of it back from starting a desk job (also slacking on running and enjoying a few too many "office birthdays"). I have lost 10 punds in the last two months or so. So, don't let it discourage you.
  • lorlor112213
    Options
    Im on BC and lost 3 lbs my first week using this :smile: don't let anyone discourage you
  • srayking
    srayking Posts: 11
    Options
    I am on Yaz! since Feb. and I have lost 21 lbs. But I am always the opposite...if it says "may cause weight gain" I normally lose.