FRUIT

Options
I recently joined a gym and was having a conversation with the fitness trainer about what I eat. He thinks I eat too much sugar because I eat a lot of fruit. I think it's fine because fruit has nutrients,fiber, water etc that I think are beneficial. It's not the first time I have had comments on my fruit intake. Will this hinder fat loss? Any opinions? Just curious.

Replies

• busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    Sugar from fruit is fine imo. Are you still eating lot of veggies and lean meat/protein? If so, then I think you are fine. :smile:
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Define "a lot". Yes sugar in fruit is natural sugar but you should still limit it to 2 servings a day, the remainder of your fruit & veggie servings should come from vegetables - more nutrients including fiber and lower carbs .
  • gingerb85
    gingerb85 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I would be interested in knowing what he thinks you should eat instead of fruit.

In my opinion, fruit (raw, unadulterated fruit, not juice or dried fruit or fruit dipped in chocolate) should be fine in a well balanced. Make sure you are getting your veggies in as well.
  • depends on your goals bananas for example are higher in sugar then raspberries and blueberries stick to 1 banana a day at most or what id recommend is more berries and apples are a bit lower in sugar if you are really looking to lean out
  • deliak2010
    Options
    depends on your goals bananas for example are higher in sugar then raspberries and blueberries stick to 1 banana a day at most or what id recommend is more berries and apples are a bit lower in sugar if you are really looking to lean out

^this :)
  • SoulNeedsBeauty
    SoulNeedsBeauty Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I eat fruit twice a day. But If I could- I'd only eat fruit. Yumm
  • MarlaChandlerBarton
    MarlaChandlerBarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    To go along with your fruit/sugar intake question:

So, I eat a lot of fruit as well. I'm over by breakfast on my sugar intake for that reason. You can put up your sugar counts in your diary and keep count of that. I could be wrong but I figure I eat most of the time95% super healthy and included in there is my fresh fruit. Isn't it calories in calories out otherwise? If you keep your calorie count to the goals set here at MFP, does it matter if you are over a bit on the sugar count or fat count if you are not diabetic? Am I being clear? Anyone know?
  • deliak2010
    Options
    Define "a lot". Yes sugar in fruit is natural sugar but you should still limit it to 2 servings a day, the remainder of your fruit & veggie servings should come from vegetables - more nutrients including fiber and lower carbs .

I agree! Everything in moderation since anything can be bad for you, even too much water. So try to eliminate some of the fruit and eat other snacks that are low calorie, high fiber, preferably with some protein. Good luck!!! :)
  • hols01
    hols01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I can tell you that I thought I was eating all the right things including natural fruits until I joined My Fitness Pal and realized I should only have 24g of sugar a day. Once I started tracking I realized I was eating double that. One lowfat yogurt and a banana has 21g of sugar. Many mornings that was my goto breakfast. Since I've been watching my sugar closely, in just a couple of weeks, I've lost inches, and lost a few pounds and feel great! Even natural sugar will converts to fat. Berries are better than apples, oranges, and bananas.
  • deliak2010
    Options
    To go along with your fruit/sugar intake question:

So, I eat a lot of fruit as well. I'm over by breakfast on my sugar intake for that reason. You can put up your sugar counts in your diary and keep count of that. I could be wrong but I figure I eat most of the time95% super healthy and included in there is my fresh fruit. Isn't it calories in calories out otherwise? If you keep your calorie count to the goals set here at MFP, does it matter if you are over a bit on the sugar count or fat count if you are not diabetic? Am I being clear? Anyone know?

That sounds right :) but too much of anything even if it's within the calorie range is not good. So she could very well be within her calorie range but be consuming double/triple/quadruple the suggested daily intake of sugar and that would definitely be hazardous to her health. Everything in moderation :)
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options

every doctor and nutritional expert says you need to eat at LEAST FIVE serving of fruit AND veggies a day
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    That's rediculas, and I am pretty sure that fitness trainers aren't nutritional experts so he should stick to what he knows, to me fruit and veggies are free calories, I stay to 1500 cals a day plus excersize but I can eat fruit and veggies all day,

not only that but I have lost weight before and had fruit be free, I ate it all day long and felt great because of it, I would eat way more then 5 servings, I lost 50 pounds in three months, of course I was working a very physical job, but before that I had lost weight with eating a ton of fruit, fruit is so good for you please don't limit your intake

10039000.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    I would fire the trainer and find one that knows what he/she is talking about
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Balance is key. Too much of anything can hinder weight loss. Stick to more veggies and limit fruit to 2 servings a day. JMO
    What a serving looks like-
    med. fruit = baseball
    ½ cup of fresh fruit= ½ baseball
    ¼ cup of raisins =large egg

http://hp2010.nhlbihin.net/portion/servingcard7.pdf
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options

every doctor and nutritional expert says you need to eat at LEAST FIVE serving of fruit AND veggies a day

One large apple equals 2 cups and 1/2 cup equals one serving. One Bannana that I eat equals about 2 sevings also wich is 2 cups worth. So for me one apple and one banna is my quota for the day and I LOVE bannas and apples I can easily eat two more of these. Just keep in mind how much a serving really is.
  • Khadines
    Khadines Posts: 64 Member
    Options

what he just said!!!!
  • engineman312
    engineman312 Posts: 3,450 Member
    Options

plus juan.

fruit is good for you. that isn't to say you should consume a bushul of apples on a daily basis. i mean, how much fruit we talking about? i have about 3-6 servings of fruit a day.
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    One thing no one has mentioned - if you are trying to bulk up at the gym, protein is what you need (think beans and rice) and even if it's "good sugar" or whatever - it's still carbs. So maybe the trainer is just trying to get you to reduce carbs and increase protein.

Try eating something like 1 cup greek yogurt and 1/2 cup berries instead of 1 apple and 1 banana - more protein and less sugar.
  • kiesh82
    kiesh82 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Every "trainer" you encounter is going to have a different opinion on everything you do. I say do what works for you! I don't subscribe to low/no carb philosophy so eating plenty of fruit is a good thing and my book - as long as you're getting your veggies too!
  • MarlaChandlerBarton
    MarlaChandlerBarton Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I do keep track in my food diary on my sugar intake, I don't want to overindulge on it b/c I have a friend who started eating super healthy and exercising and when his blood work was done they found he was eating way too much fruit! He was on the verge of becoming a diabetic! He switched it around and started eating not as many fruits but more veggies and he's perfect now.