excercise calories

Options
Help please? MFP says I burnt 881 calories today. I know I didn't because i also wear a heart rate monitor which says I burnt 500. Does MFP add on the previous days calories? this might account for it as I did burn 300+ yesterday. Not I understand this because it also states I've got 600+ calories left to eat but that would mean I've exceeded my allowance. Someone shed some light?

Replies

• kspoon5
    kspoon5 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    You can adjust you calories on the exercise log and I would definitely use the calorie count off the heart rate monitor - MFP is just an educated guess per your body weight and height - and no it doesn't carry over ....
  • asheekah
    asheekah Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks kspoon! That makes sense. If I eat all those calories I'll be here forever :-)
  • lulabox
    lulabox Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    At least for my stats, I think MyFitnessPal is way off and I completely ignore their calorie recommendations (faaar too low for me - I eat 1500 at least for 5'4 and BMI 23 but they said 1200) and I think their exercise calorie estimates are wacky at best.

I have started logging my exercise to keep track of what I do, and to make sure MFP doesn't substract calories, I make a custom exercise and record it as being worth 1 calorie.

Also, there is no such thing as calorie in - calorie out = total calories. It's a lot more complicated than that so I personally prefer to ignore exercise for my calorie count. It's simpler too. I guess it's a question of opinion though.
  • CDeguc
    CDeguc Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Depending on the workout, I like to eat my workout calories. If it's pretty intense, it's important that you're fueling yourself properly. Of course starvation mode is not really as big as a deal that everyone puts out, your body does eat muscle mass (which is used to burn fat) when it goes in to ketosis...sooooooooooo, you probably want to make sure that you're getting adequate amounts of caloric intake.
  • lulabox
    lulabox Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Depending on the workout, I like to eat my workout calories. If it's pretty intense, it's important that you're fueling yourself properly.
    Agreed :)
    Of course starvation mode is not really as big as a deal that everyone puts out, your body does eat muscle mass (which is used to burn fat) when it goes in to ketosis...sooooooooooo, you probably want to make sure that you're getting adequate amounts of caloric intake.
    Muscle mass isn't turned into fat but into glucose, the body's primary fuel molecule. Ketosis is when fat is broken down rather than glucose/carbohydrates.